Live from Hilton Head (March 29-April 3) (or as long as the wi-fi connection is good)

nzdisneymom

DIS Veteran
Our first vacation at Disney's Hilton Head Resort

We joined the Disney Vacation Club in March 2006 with the intent of spending some of our vacation time at places other than Walt Disney World. We've been quite successful at finding a good balance between our WDW stays and our non-WDW stays. This is our first visit to Hilton Head Island.

We booked a 2-BR dedicated villa at exactly 7 months out. We are a family of four (me, DH, DS#1 (12 y.o.), and DS#2 (11 y.o.)). The boys have spring
break this week and our WDW annual passes expire on the 30th so we opted to not do a WDW trip for spring break as we had done last year.

Joining us this week will be my parents who live about an hour away from here. They have not been to a DVC resort ever, or on any vacation for a few years, so we were thrilled when they agreed to join us for a few days. This will be a great way for them to have a few days vacation, it won't be too far for them to drive (here or back home), and they can spend some time with us and their grandchildren.

We drove on Saturday to my parents' home and spent the night, so we didn't have a long drive today. We left after church and a quick lunch and arrived at HHI around 2:30 p.m. It was an easy drive in from I-95. Allow about 45 minutes to get to the resort once you're on Hwy 278. When we arrived, we had expected there to be a guard gate, but there wasn't - just the gate, so we pressed the call button to announce our arrival. We found plenty of open parking in front of the lobby, grabbed the camera, and excitedly headed toward the Lodge building.

March2009047.jpg

When we got up the steps, we were thrilled to be greeted by B'Lou and Shadow!

March2009042.jpg

What a warm, fun welcome! I had not told the boys nor DH about Shadow, so when they read in the newsletter about how most folks don't even glimpse a shadow of Shadow, they realized how lucky we were, and we hope it's a good omen for our time here at HHI.

Check in was a breeze. Because we had announced our arrival at the gate, our check-in packet was waiting for us. CM Nada had everything ready so it
was just a matter of minutes for us to get our keys, parking pass, and stack of papers / booklets about the HHI area. (Note: I saw the On-line Check-in
placard just to the right of the check-in desk.) CM Nada answered all of our questions and made sure to wish DH a happy birthday.

We explored Big Murggie's Den for a few minutes, and I enjoyed a cup of lemonade from the lobby. What a nice, refreshing treat (and free! How often can you say that about anything Disney??)

Next stop: Our villa!

We just returned from our first HHI trip.... I didn't even know that there was an actual Shadow.... thought he was just a "shadow".
Great that you got to see him and take a photo!

I am so excited for you!!:banana::banana: Thanks so much for doing this live report!! I can't wait to be on vacation "with" you!!!:goodvibes

Most of our DVC stays have been in studios, but lately we've been splurging on the 1-BRs. Our guide told us once we went to a 1-BR and as the boys got older, we'd want a 2-BR. He was right! Of course since we were able to secure a 2-BR for our time here at HHI, we had room for my folks to join us, so that was an added bonus.

But before I get ahead of myself...

We left the Lodge and headed toward our building, #15. Our only request had been for a high unit. For some reason, I didn't remember that the lower units were also balcony-units rather than porch-units. I just know when we stay at Old Key West, we aren't crazy about having the porch; we'd rather have a higher floor to have a balcony. For us, either the lower or the upper-unit would be fine here at HHI; we have the upper for this week.

We found a parking space in front of the unit, which we've since discovered was very lucky. We hiked up the steps and checked out the rooms. Wow! It's really very nice, and we love all the little magical touches.

March2009066.jpg

This is our first time in a 2-BR (oh wait - I've probably already said that and will say that again a bazillion times, I'm sure). We were WOWed by the space! We weren't sure where to look first - in the bedrooms,

March2009056.jpg

or the balconies (the kids thought it was great to have their own "private" balcony from the 2nd bedroom),

the view we have of the marsh:

March2009061.jpg

and of the Horseshoe Pit / Hammock / Grill area:

March2009062.jpg

or ooh-and-ah over the kitchen set up and dining area which we like better than what is at Saratoga Springs or Boardwalk.

March2009063.jpg

When we were walking up to the unit, we saw these weird looking cart things. I suggested that they might be luggage carts that we could use to put our stuff on, but since the building doesn't have an elevator, the guys all seemed to think it wouldn't make a difference using one vs. just bringing everything directly from the car. So we hauled one load of stuff up, and as we went back down for a second load, I saw another family using one and said, "See!" So we got one and used it to haul everything to the base of our stairs which made things easier to bring up. And of course I thought it was great when I saw the sign by them that said Luggage Cart Return Area.

March2009094.jpg

So after we got everything upstairs, we got things situated and decided to head out for dinner. We had read about Guiseppi's Pizza and Pasta here on DISBoards and we had seen where it was when we were driving in, so we decided we'd try it for dinner. Because we also wanted to go to Publix, we drove to the restaurant. As we walked up to it, it sure did smell yummy. And we were not disappointed. We had a delicious pizza.

March2009070.jpg

Note: When we got back to the room later, I was looking in the Perks booklet and found we could have saved 10% on our dine-in order as DVC Members.

We made our way to Publix down past mile marker 10 (go to the roundabout, make a right, then turn left into the shopping plaza - there's a Walgreens and a Starbucks in there, too), picked up a few groceries, and headed back for home. We used the luggage cart to bring the groceries up.

As we brought the groceries in, we found a surprise awaiting us in our room.

What was it???

Ohhhhhhh great report. But I have to say I hate cliff hangers........ I just can't stand the wait.:)

So we've schlepped the groceries up to the top of the stairs and as we enter our villa, we discover that a surprise was left while we were gone. It was for DH.

March2009071.jpg

March2009074.jpg

March2009075.jpg

I had expected that he would get balloons and a card at some point this week since we had noted we were celebrating his birthday, but we had not expected the ballons to arrive today. Yep, we're gonna party all week!

Now that the work of settling in was done, it was time to explore! The boys got their swim trunks on and off we went to find the pool. On the map, it looked like we were pretty far from it, but in fact it was about a 2-minute walk. I think it's probably a 2-minute walk everywhere here at the resort, or maybe just from where we are located.

The slide had already closed for the day, but we noted what time it's open (10 a.m. - 5 p.m.) so the boys can get some slide time in. DS#1 has a record he wants to beat - he did 60 in a row on the slide at the Boardwalk. The pool is heated, but there was a bit of a wind (ok, it was strong enough that it would blow the backs of the pool chairs down) so the boys went from the pool to the hot tub and back a few times. I went to explore the area, find the recreation rentals (also closed at 5 p.m.), Community Hall, the fitness center, and the Mercantile. Along the way, I found this:

March2009079.jpg

and this:

March2009082.jpg

I also found a couple of chalkboards with current info on them that I'll also post over on the HHI Adoration page:

March2009078.jpg

March2009083.jpg

On the way back to the room, we stopped for the boys to try out the hammock, and they also wanted to try horseshoes. I think they want to practice so their grandpa won't beat them too badly (hee hee). It's nice that it's just outside our room so they can go on their own. DH and I walked down the boardwalk to the lobby area so we could look around a little more now that we were settled. While we were there, we found that they have cookies every evening (FREE! Again, I'm SHOCKED!) which were yummy. We looked around Big Murggie's Den some more and found the hidden Mickeys by the fireplace. I asked if they had a Hidden Mickey list at the front desk and CM Nada (who was still there) said that with all the refurbishment, some of the ones on their list had been painted over! But she did tell me there are 18 in the mural by the front desk. I found six so I'll have to spend a bit more time looking.

We made our way back to the room where the boys were already snackin' and making themselves quite comfortable. I pulled out the computer to offload pictures and recharge the camera for tomorrow, and to see if the wi-fi would work. We got it working pretty easily but the connection has been spotty. We'll see how it holds up throughout the week. It might just be that I haven't found the sweet spot for it yet. I've found I have a steadier connection by using building 17's connection than the one in building 15. Go figure. But hey, it's free!

We've already done our first load of laundry - it's so nice to have washer/dryer on vacation. The boys enjoyed using the jacuzzi tub. I got to watch the Amazing Race. DH read his book. The kids have gone to bed. I'm posting our trip report. DH is reading still. We don't have to go to work or school tomorrow. Life is good!

This is just fantastic!! We just planned our first HHI trip for July and I am in the dark about what to expect. I will live it through you and your reports this week!! Thank you so much. Loving it alot!

Great report and pictures. I almost hate to see a thread like this - it will only make more and more people want to book HH, making it that much harder to get a reservation :). Can't wait until we check in May 31st.

We're here too!!!! In fact I think I saw your family as you were exploring yesterday.

We checked in on 3/27 and sadly, are leaving today. We were in building 19 in a studio for us and a 2 bedroom for our friends. We tried at the last minute to get a grand villa when our friends decided they wanted to join us.

We LOVE this magical resort. It is truly one of the most relaxing places I have ever found.

Linda

We're here too!!!! In fact I think I saw your family as you were exploring yesterday.

We checked in on 3/27 and sadly, are leaving today. We were in building 19 in a studio for us and a 2 bedroom for our friends. We tried at the last minute to get a grand villa when our friends decided they wanted to join us.

We LOVE this magical resort. It is truly one of the most relaxing places I have ever found.

Linda

Aw, too bad you're leaving or we could've said hi! It's chilly here this morning - a pretty good breeze blowing early.

The boys went to sleep about 10:30 (on their own!) and DH and I ended up staying up really late. The room is so comfortable and quiet at night. I love the way the building is set up so we don't have anyone walking past us, and being on top, we don't even have people on the steps noise. The rooms are really dark when the blinds are closed, so the boys are still sleeping! Hey - it's spring break and I'm glad for them to rest.

It's a beautiful sunny day here today with an expected high of 70. DH has gone for a run - I think he plans to take the bike path over to the beach to see how that goes. When he gets back, we'll see if my folks have left to head over this way yet so we'll know when to expect them, and then we'll head over to the beach. We are looking forward to checking out the Beach House and we'll probably have lunch over there.

The lady downstairs was talking this morning to someone and said Wednesday is our rainy day this week.

Thanks for all your nice comments. If you have any questions about things or want to *see* something, please let us know. We'll be glad to find out or take a picture. One of the things I enjoy about vacationing is the documentation process (yeah, I embrace my inner nerdiness) so we're glad to do it.

This thread makes my day. We arrive at HH on 4/19 and I can't wait. Thanks for the pictures and I like to hear people having a great time at our favorite DVC resort. Looking back we wish HH was our home resort. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks for your report and great photos. We arrive on Sunday for our 8th annual trip -- and cannot wait! It is our favorite place to go. Realized last night that our eldest son will be away at college next year when we go, so this will be the last spring trip as a family. So many great memories!

Hey nzdisneymom,

We were there in January and had a blast once the weather warmed up some. Going by the pics you posted, I believe you are staying above the 2 BR villa we were in. We were also in Bldg. 15. Go see B'lou Crabbe when he tells his ghost stories and any other stories he may have. They have many activities there which are fun. Have a great time at HHI.

Love love love this trip report!
We check in on May 31st and are bouncing with excitement already. LOL
Pics are great, too, thanks!

You got a great villa! The view is wonderful! We can't wait until we are back at HHI in June. Hope the beautiful weather holds for you. If you get the rain, just check out a movie (free!) from the mercantile, pop some popcornpopcorn:: and settle in and watch a movie :happytv: Loving the trip report!!

What a nice trip report! We were there in September and just loved HHI! The staff is so friendly and the resort is beautiful. I'm sure you will really enjoy the beach and the beach house. Thanks for posting the pictures-I enjoy looking at them and reliving our trip! Have fun! :)

Great trip report... I love how you mix in photos with description. One of the nice things we always loved about DVC when our kids were younger was the feeling that you can let them have the run of the resort and not worry about it.

I have come to enjoy having a bike rental at HHI. We take some out of resort rides, but I really like being able to get from the lodge (where we always stay) and get to the pool in few seconds (and back again). If you get bikes, be sure to ask for a basket.... it really helps.

Have a great day tomorrow. Looking forward to your posts. :thumbsup2

While we were there, we found that they have cookies every evening (FREE! Again, I'm SHOCKED!) which were yummy.

I know-aren't those cookies great? What kind did you have? My favorite are the cranberry nut cookies. When we're at HHI, in the fall, I try to get to Big Murgie's Den every day for my cookies and hot apple cider(probably not what they're serving in this weather). Enjoy!! I'm enjoying your trip report.

This is just fantastic!! We just planned our first HHI trip for July and I am in the dark about what to expect. I will live it through you and your reports this week!! Thank you so much. Loving it alot!

Hello I heart the mouse,

When in July will you be at HHI? We will check in on the 12th. We were there once before, but only 2 nights. Can`t wait to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter