LGBT representations and images?

Is there enough to LGBT representations at the Disney Parks?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No

Votes: 31 81.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

Diz Duck

Should've been in a Disney Parade
i was at WDW in December and I was happy to see what appeared to be a gay couple (man and blue puppet) on the DVC promo channel. Am I crazy, has anyone else seen it? (See below)

I've also noticed in a previous version of the American Experience Finale video montage used to include images from an AIDS protest and a rainbow flag. Unfortunately the rainbow flag is now gone.

When I went to Stetson University in the early 90's in Central Florida we would go to Mannequins at Pleasure Island on gay night (not sure what night of the week it was), sometimes they would have the professional dancers switch it up with men dancing with men and the women dancing with women. And on gay days they had the main New Year's countdown have same sex dancing couples.

Now there are gender neutral Celebration buttons, without the prince and princess and without the Mickey and Minnie. Progress.

And of course I've seen the rainbow Mickey pins and bandits for your Magic Band. But have never bought one.

Are there any other LGBT references or nods that anyone else has noticed, past or present?image.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting topic. I've never noticed anything that was obviously LGBT inclusive, with the exception of the rainbow Mickey pin, although I've mostly visited Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea and I think Japan is a little behind on inclusiveness.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they still offer these gender neutral "Happily Ever After" buttons / pins at Disneyland Anaheim:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5MVgxNjAw/z/OCUAAOSw5dNWpa~R/$_35.JPG

Interesting topic. I've never noticed anything that was obviously LGBT inclusive, with the exception of the rainbow Mickey pin, although I've mostly visited Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea and I think Japan is a little behind on inclusiveness.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they still offer these gender neutral "Happily Ever After" buttons / pins at Disneyland Anaheim:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5MVgxNjAw/z/OCUAAOSw5dNWpa~R/$_35.JPG

Yep Disneyland should have them. I've been seeing all the new buttons around the park.

I feel totally at ease in any Disney Park I've been to, and I hold hands with my partner every now and then without giving it a second thought. I see a handful of couples holding hands too here and there, so that's nice. Cast Members are nice too and some who are gay have actually cheered us.

HOWEVER, the fact that Disney hasn't produced anything LGBT-related, is a little disappointing to me. All couples are straight and that's fine, but at least someone who either was in a gay partnership, or was single but openly gay, would be welcome. Having said that, it took how many years to have a black princess, how long to have a latina princess... so I don't think it will happen in the next decade or so at least. I still feel accepted, but not represented - if that makes sense.

I feel totally at ease in any Disney Park I've been to, and I hold hands with my partner every now and then without giving it a second thought. I see a handful of couples holding hands too here and there, so that's nice. Cast Members are nice too and some who are gay have actually cheered us.

HOWEVER, the fact that Disney hasn't produced anything LGBT-related, is a little disappointing to me. All couples are straight and that's fine, but at least someone who either was in a gay partnership, or was single but openly gay, would be welcome. Having said that, it took how many years to have a black princess, how long to have a latina princess... so I don't think it will happen in the next decade or so at least. I still feel accepted, but not represented - if that makes sense.

Disney did just produce some openly LGBT characters. In Once Upon a Time, Red Ridding Hood, Dorthy from Wizard of Oz, and Mulan lesbians. I can't remember if there are any out men.

Can't think of any LGBT direct nods in the park but mostly is because they have to straddle the line so to speak. They are accepting and welcoming. They have been at the forefront of equal opportunity and allowing the benefits packages to go to partners even before marriage was open to all. Before gay marriage was legal in FL they still did commitment ceremonies.

Disney did just produce some openly LGBT characters. In Once Upon a Time, Red Ridding Hood, Dorthy from Wizard of Oz, and Mulan lesbians. I can't remember if there are any out men.

Can't think of any LGBT direct nods in the park but mostly is because they have to straddle the line so to speak. They are accepting and welcoming. They have been at the forefront of equal opportunity and allowing the benefits packages to go to partners even before marriage was open to all. Before gay marriage was legal in FL they still did commitment ceremonies.

I totally agree with how welcoming they are, as I mentioned earlier. The parks division is very LGBT-friendly. I'm talking about productions from the Walt Disney Studios, which have zero LGBT characters. Since the parks represent a lot of that media (being animation or live action) and there are no such characters, there is no visible representation in the parks. The issue I see is not that of openness to the community, but one of visibility.

They had a red t-shirt in 2013 with 6 Mickey Mouse heads in rainbow colors.

I think JonUK summed it up quite nicely: Feeling accepted, but not represented.

But, I think they are definitely working their way towards this 'end goal'. The introduction of the same-sex romance on OUAT (as mentioned above) was a huge step for them, and there are small nods now in the form of gender-neutral buttons, gay marriage ceremonies, and LGBT buttons. I think true change will properly start when there is representation within an animation, but I do think we might be a way off this.

If you consider the backlash and protest from parents against the whole Paranorman 'controversy', which was a simple, small, insignificant line within the context of the entire movie, you will imagine that Disney will want to introduce someone LGBT very carefully. It's just a pity there still exists so much prejudice that these 'considerations' need to be made in the first place.

I think JonUK summed it up quite nicely: Feeling accepted, but not represented.

But, I think they are definitely working their way towards this 'end goal'. The introduction of the same-sex romance on OUAT (as mentioned above) was a huge step for them, and there are small nods now in the form of gender-neutral buttons, gay marriage ceremonies, and LGBT buttons. I think true change will properly start when there is representation within an animation, but I do think we might be a way off this.

If you consider the backlash and protest from parents against the whole Paranorman 'controversy', which was a simple, small, insignificant line within the context of the entire movie, you will imagine that Disney will want to introduce someone LGBT very carefully. It's just a pity there still exists so much prejudice that these 'considerations' need to be made in the first place.

Yes, smaller properties like TV shows, their content on ABC Family/Freeform, the fact that they host gay weddings in the resort (I was thiiiis close of having my own wedding there!) is all great. But none of that has global reach. Once Upon A Time doesn't air in all countries and it doesn't openly say DISNEY all over it (yes, it's the characters, but it's not on the Disney channel for example, it's on ABC), or that many people can't get to the parks, doesn't have the same effect that would be caused if a major animation film, or say Star Wars of the Marvel Universe had ONE character who was openly gay.

That's the representation I'm talking about - it's one that is front and centre, and not on the sidelines of a subsidiary. I want it to be a Disney prince, or a princess' friend, a neighbour or something that you can see on the films and even better, buy merchandise. THAT is waaaay away from today. (Yes, I wish Prince Eric were gay. I wave at him on the ride every time. I do.)

Looks like there is a lesbian couple in the the new Finding Dory film...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/20...n-couple-finding-dory-trailer-sparks-rumours/

pixars-first-lesbian-couple-finding-dory-trailer-sparks-rumours

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 1.01.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 1.01.13 PM.png
    882.8 KB · Views: 7
I think having so many openly gay cast members on the front line of guest services is a huge step in the direction of representation.

Every time my partner and I visit WDW together it's our anniversary, and we wear the buttons. During our last meet and greet with Mickey at the Town Square Theater he asked us how many years we'd been together, he complimented us on our matching hats, and made a big point of hugging each one of us and congratulating us on our anniversary. He is still a bachelor, after all... so is Goofy... and I don't think Donald ever married Daisy...

Very interesting thread! :thumbsup2

But I can't ever remember seeing any same sex couples in Disney advertising. :sad2:

I do know though that some store windows have changed some displays that were targeted towards boys and girls separately now show non gender displays. That's nice I think! :jester:

A boy don't have to be a pirate and a girl doesn't have to be a princess. :rainbow:

But I'd love to see more same sex couples in the ads and perhaps in the WDW Planning DVD. :smickey:

:tinker:

I honestly think Disney does a good job with representing the LGBT community, I remember seeing a commercial with a gay family at some point I'm sure and WDW is crawling with gay CM's.

Very interesting thread! :thumbsup2

But I can't ever remember seeing any same sex couples in Disney advertising. :sad2:

I do know though that some store windows have changed some displays that were targeted towards boys and girls separately now show non gender displays. That's nice I think! :jester:

A boy don't have to be a pirate and a girl doesn't have to be a princess. :rainbow:

But I'd love to see more same sex couples in the ads and perhaps in the WDW Planning DVD. :smickey:

You touched on something that is actually 2 different points: one of gender identity, and a different one of sexual orientation. People often conflate those but they are not really related. Whether you want to be a man or a woman, or neither, has no bearing on whether you are attracted to a man, a woman or neither. So it's good to let children be whoever they like - they now need to step it up and show they can LOVE whoever they like.

You touched on something that is actually 2 different points: one of gender identity, and a different one of sexual orientation. People often conflate those but they are not really related. Whether you want to be a man or a woman, or neither, has no bearing on whether you are attracted to a man, a woman or neither. So it's good to let children be whoever they like - they now need to step it up and show they can LOVE whoever they like.
Hi Jon,

Yeah, that's very true and thanks for clarifying the different points. I guess that I got so excited that I mashed up everything that I wanted to say in one post! You are perfectly correct, genter identity is not in any way connected to sexual orientation. Well said! :goodvibes

What do you guys think of the rumors that Elsa might be given a girlfriend in the Frozen sequel? Actually, I don't think it's even a rumor - just wishful thinking and some "buzz" in favor and against.

What do you guys think of the rumors that Elsa might be given a girlfriend in the Frozen sequel? Actually, I don't think it's even a rumor - just wishful thinking and some "buzz" in favor and against.

That would be awesome. But, unfortunately I don't see it happening. At best, as outdated as sub textual representation is and despite the fact that it raises serious issues about queer baiting, I'm hopeful that Elsa could be given a female advisor / right hand woman who (VERY) closely assists Elsa in running Arendelle. They could be shown together at various moments, including having breakfast together, and Elsa could openly proclaim that she couldn't imagine life without her female companion. So, it would be very much in the tradition of the relationship between Xena and Gabrielle with a heavy implication that there is more to the relationship than just a queen and her royal advisor.

Or, Disney could realise that Frozen 2 is going to make then HUGE amounts of money even if the plot entirely consisted of Anna and Kristoff making sandwiches for Sven. And that they have a wonderful opportunity to be truly progressive by releasing the first (?) family animated film with an openly gay lead character.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!