Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The more I think about the Polynesian resort, the more I think they planned this all along.

PVB studios, same as hotel was an easy way to convince hotel guests to buy.
Bungalows look great, but very expensive. This allowed them to shift a lot of hotel expenses to DVC owners there.
They wanted more rooms, specifically high price lake view rooms and tower achieves that. Studios added there make it easier to convince Poly hotel regulars to buy DVC. Adding some 1BR and 2BRs to convince PVB owners to buy more points.

Shift hotel regulars from one of the most popular resort into DVC at that resort for 50 years while and shifting hotel expenses to DVC owners of the resort.

Anyone know how Disney treats the points for studio/1BR lockoffs?
Do they sell 50% of the points for these combinations using the 2BR discount and the other 50% using the studio + 1BR point charts?
As CarolynFH shared they are declared as 2BR's. The fun thing is that when a lock-off is booked as a separate studio and 1BR the point requirement is more in the DVC system than if booked as a 2BR. This creates a greater use of points for that space than what was declared and sold and is referenced as the lock-off premium. So what does that potentially mean if more points are used on accommodations than sold? Possibly more rooms to be rented by DVC for cash.

I wonder what they are going to classify the studios as because they can’t use tower studio as that exists at RIV as the duo.

Even seeing this list confused me at first. I imagine they are going to have to come up with néw names because studios in the long houses will be different than those in the tower, based on the plans.

My guess is we may even see Poly tower have its own point charts, and won’t be on one with PVB…this would keep it a lot less confusing.

I agree that it makes the most sense to have PVB and the Poly Tower have separate listings on the Booking webpage, exactly like they do with AKV, separating Jambo House and Kidani Village. They do not need to have separate points charts, though, as long as the deluxe studios (standard view and lake/pool view) are at the same rates, just like AKV.

That will also allow them to not have to come up with a new name for the deluxe studios in the tower.

The breakdown might be the following:

Duo Studio - Standard View
Duo Studio - TPV (Theme Park View)

Deluxe Studio - Standard View (For Longhouses and Tower)
Deluxe Studio - Lake/Pool View (Lake for Longhouses, Pool for Tower)
Deluxe Studio - TPV

1 Bedroom - Standard View
1 Bedroom - Pool View
1 Bedroom - TPV

2 Bedroom - Standard View
2 Bedroom - Pool View
2 Bedroom - TPV

3 Bedroom Grand Villa - Standard View (Maybe)
3 Bedroom Grand Villa - TPV (Most Likely)

2 Bedroom Bungalow

I wonder what they are going to classify the studios as because they can’t use tower studio as that exists at RIV as the duo.

Even seeing this list confused me at first. I imagine they are going to have to come up with néw names because studios in the long houses will be different than those in the tower, based on the plans.

My guess is we may even see Poly tower have its own point charts, and won’t be on one with PVB…this would keep it a lot less confusing.
I imagine that, Disney being Disney, it won’t be called the “tower”, but rather something like the “Kahaha villas” and the booking category will become “Kahaha studio” and like “longhouse studio”

I imagine that, Disney being Disney, it won’t be called the “tower”, but rather something like the “Kahaha villas” and the booking category will become “Kahaha studio” and like “longhouse studio”
Someone on the internet referred to it as The PolyDay Inn. Kinda works on many levels lol

Yes, they’ve been calling that on WDWMagic. I have expressed my thoughts on the term there where there is less moderation 🤣. Let’s just say I think it’s unfair.
As somebody who hated RIV and Gran Destino from the concept art, but absolutely fell in love with both resorts in person, I'm willing to give the new Waikiki Tower (it's inevitable) the benefit of the doubt.

But the bar is VERY high for this resort!

Just for fun, and to try to bring some more data into the picture, I analyzed the distribution of point values by room/view type across current DVC resorts. (All values are per-week for the sake of simplicity. I have this for all seasons, but am using Season 2 as an example below. I'm also excluding all views other than S, L, and TP, since I'm trying to find points of comparison for the Poly).

I did the same thing, but just did season 3 as that's when I think I would most likely book there.
I ran the numbers and comparisons a bit differently (but not much), and then made some minor tweaks to come up with what I think season 3 might end up as. This is only a guess, but that's all we can do right now. lol
(Note - this assumes the same association and that deluxe studios will be the same rates in the tower for similar views)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Season 3 - Points for a week stay:

99 - Duo Studio - Standard View
120 - Duo Studio - TPV

139 - Deluxe Studio - Standard View
162 - Deluxe Studio - Lake/Pool View
194 - Deluxe Studio - TPV

284 - 1 Bedroom - Standard View
342 - 1 Bedroom - Pool View
405 - 1 Bedroom - TPV

389 - 2 Bedroom - Standard View
463 - 2 Bedroom - Pool View
561 - 2 Bedroom - TPV

778 - 3 Bedroom Grand Villa - Standard View
1122 - 3 Bedroom Grand Villa - TPV

934 - 2 Bedroom Bungalow

I did the same thing, but just did season 3 as that's when I think I would most likely book there.
I ran the numbers and comparisons a bit differently (but not much), and then made some minor tweaks to come up with what I think season 3 might end up as. This is only a guess, but that's all we can do right now. lol
(Note - this assumes the same association and that deluxe studios will be the same rates in the tower for similar views)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Season 3 - Points for a week stay:

99 - Duo Studio - Standard View
120 - Duo Studio - TPV

139 - Deluxe Studio - Standard View
162 - Deluxe Studio - Lake/Pool View
194 - Deluxe Studio - TPV

284 - 1 Bedroom - Standard View
342 - 1 Bedroom - Pool View
405 - 1 Bedroom - TPV

389 - 2 Bedroom - Standard View
463 - 2 Bedroom - Pool View
561 - 2 Bedroom - TPV

778 - 3 Bedroom Grand Villa - Standard View
1122 - 3 Bedroom Grand Villa - TPV

934 - 2 Bedroom Bungalow
Love it!

One thing I'm realizing: I've sort of internalized the belief that they will have a TPV category as distinct from a Lake view, but is there anything published by DVC that hints at that, or is it speculation?

The Poly is so far away from MK, that even at those higher floors its hard to justify a TPV designation in my mind, relative to what you get at BLT or VGF. Maybe if they throw in some high-powered binoculars with each reservation??

Love it!

One thing I'm realizing: I've sort of internalized the belief that they will have a TPV category as distinct from a Lake view, but is there anything published by DVC that hints at that, or is it speculation?

The Poly is so far away from MK, that even at those higher floors its hard to justify a TPV designation in my mind, relative to what you get at BLT or VGF. Maybe if they throw in some high-powered binoculars with each reservation??
Isn’t Poly Tower practically touching VGF? If you can see the Castle, Disney is going to consider it TPV.

Love it!

I suspect some lower floors will have their view blocked by the island. Might be safer to use lake view for the category.

Hmm, I wonder if the areas on the lake side for viewing were done at that level knowing they need that height to see over the island.

Yes, they’ve been calling that on WDWMagic. I have expressed my thoughts on the term there where there is less moderation 🤣. Let’s just say I think it’s unfair.
haha that's not even where I've seen it! But listen I recently made a post stating that I think it's really coming into form and I DO think it's going to be very beautiful and fit in much better than I think we're all imagining.
I'm very excited for it! Plus I had an upfront viewing of the construction from my corner balcony on Aotearoa last summer so I feel very connected to it lol.

Isn’t Poly Tower practically touching VGF? If you can see the Castle, Disney is going to consider it TPV.

The Poly Tower rooms are quite a bit farther away than the rooms marketed as TPV at VGF. Almost twice as far from the main gate.

Here's a map of the line-of-site from the castle to VGF's TPV rooms, the new Tower, and the existing LV Studios at PVB.
1712280851506.png

I've actually stayed at a "Lake View" rooms at GF (on the hotel side) that had a decent view of the Castle from the Balcony.

There are also a handful of Lake View rooms at VGF that have partial views of the theme park. For example, from this 6th-floor DVC studio, you can see Space Mountain (straight) and the top of the Castle over the building. Would be a decent fireworks view.
1712280241494.png

Granted, there are probably only a handful of rooms with this kind of partial TPV, which isn't enough of those to be worth them trying to classify it as a different room type. But it's not the case that every room with a castle view will be TPV.

Actually, now that I look, I think a better argument would be the existing Poly LV Studios. From the third floor, you get a pretty solid view of the castle.
1712280668675.png

A high-floor tower room would give you more elevation, but it's still very far away -- much farther away than the TPV rooms at the VGF. All you're really getting is a good fireworks view, but they market that as LV in the existing Studios.

I still expect them to have a TPV category, just because they can. But I don't know if it's a slam-dunk, since it's so far away and they didn't classify the existing Studios that way despite reasonably clear views of the castle. It's such a bad view, relative to the VGF and BLT rooms they actually market as TPV, that I don't know if they can command much of a premium above LV.

Could DVC rename the RIV "tower studio" to "duo studio" to keep it in alignment with DLH and Poly? Then have "longhouse deluxe studio" and "tower deluxe studio" for Poly?

I'm on team same association now based on all the actions DVC has taken. I would think this is more of a VGF tower and BPK vs AKV Jambo and Kidani.

The Poly Tower rooms are quite a bit farther away than the rooms marketed as TPV at VGF. Almost twice as far from the main gate.

Here's a map of the line-of-site from the castle to VGF's TPV rooms, the new Tower, and the existing LV Studios at PVB.
View attachment 848290

I've actually stayed at a "Lake View" rooms at GF (on the hotel side) that had a decent view of the Castle from the Balcony.

There are also a handful of Lake View rooms at VGF that have partial views of the theme park. For example, from this 6th-floor DVC studio, you can see Space Mountain (straight) and the top of the Castle over the building. Would be a decent fireworks view.
View attachment 848288

Granted, there are probably only a handful of rooms with this kind of partial TPV, which isn't enough of those to be worth them trying to classify it as a different room type. But it's not the case that every room with a castle view will be TPV.

Actually, now that I look, I think a better argument would be the existing Poly LV Studios. From the third floor, you get a pretty solid view of the castle.
View attachment 848289

A high-floor tower room would give you more elevation, but it's still very far away -- much farther away than the TPV rooms at the VGF. All you're really getting is a good fireworks view, but they market that as LV in the existing Studios.

I still expect them to have a TPV category, just because they can. But I don't know if it's a slam-dunk, since it's so far away and they didn't classify the existing Studios that way despite reasonably clear views of the castle. It's such a bad view, relative to the VGF and BLT rooms they actually market as TPV, that I don't know if they can command much of a premium above LV.
Poly is definitely further and it's harder to make out structures during the day, but it really shines at night with the fireworks. The position on the lagoon centers the castle best, especially for things like Christmas Party fireworks, 4th of July fireworks, etc. Disney could easily label them "Fireworks View" like WL cash if it wanted to.

You are right. @aka Charles had a couple of later posts. That’s what I get for not looking further in that thread.

Here is his post about the additional duo studios.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-poly2-pricing-thread.3875905/page-78#post-65063869

Here is his updated room count post
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-poly2-pricing-thread.3875905/page-78#post-65063903

Here is the corrected room count values for PVB + Tower resort may have:
  • 30 duo studios
  • 360 longhouse studios
  • 138 tower studios
  • 88 tower lockoff studios
  • 88 tower lockoff 1BRs
  • 6 tower dedicated 2BRs
  • Possibly 8 tower GVs???
  • 20 bungalows

Thanks! I mis-remembered and am definitely starting to get off the Poly Train. It's less of a ratio of Duo Studios to total points at the resort than RIV's Tower studios to total points at the resort.

AND we'll likely get preferred views too. I don't know how interested I am in competing over 10-15 of the cheapest rooms in a pool of 8 million points anymore...

Could DVC rename the RIV "tower studio" to "duo studio" to keep it in alignment with DLH and Poly? Then have "longhouse deluxe studio" and "tower deluxe studio" for Poly?

I'm on team same association now based on all the actions DVC has taken. I would think this is more of a VGF tower and BPK vs AKV Jambo and Kidani.

I guess they could rename the RiV one if they want. But, they are called tower because they are in those two tower sections of the building.

I still think it would make the best sense, even with same association, for each to have its own chart, especially given the potentially different views. I can’t see it fitting in one chart!

The BPK is all resort studios, so having the chart say resort and deluxe is clear which building you are booking.

I guess is they add the word deluxe it oeuof help. Of course, they could surprise us and make the studio in the tower resort ones like BPK.

I guess they could rename the RiV one if they want. But, they are called tower because they are in those two tower sections of the building.

I still think it would make the best sense, even with same association, for each to have its own chart, especially given the potentially different views. I can’t see it fitting in one chart!

The BPK is all resort studios, so having the chart say resort and deluxe is clear which building you are booking.

I guess is they add the word deluxe it oeuof help. Of course, they could surprise us and make the studio in the tower resort ones like BPK.
I am probably in the minority, but I would be tempted by a Poly Resort Studio (aka hotel room) with 2 dedicated beds.

How likely is it they make the large window possible viewing window areas require a key access? With key access, I could see non-resort guests going there for the July 4th firework viewing to get around the Poly beach access being blocked off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter