let me hear your food ideas

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
to carry into the park besides pb&j everyday. We most likely will not be going back to the hotel during the day (we are open to close kinda people)

One year we took Lunchables also - which of course isn't really cheap, but it is convenient.

Buy a couple of big sub sandwiches at Walmart or Publix. Slice them into 4 or 6 inch sections, wrap the sections in plastic wrap, foil or zip bags. Then people can pick which kind on sandwich to throw into their backpack each morning.

Buy a couple of big sub sandwiches at Walmart or Publix. Slice them into 4 or 6 inch sections, wrap the sections in plastic wrap, foil or zip bags. Then people can pick which kind on sandwich to throw into their backpack each morning.
Love that idea - but do they come dressed? I worry about mayo - even though I have a cooler bag, I worry about it not being cool enough with icepacks in that heat

No, they come without condiments. We have also picked up fried chicken at the Walmart deli the night before and ate it cold next day in the parks. We even had people asking us at Magic Kingdom where we got the fried chicken from, as they wanted some too!

If you'll have a cooler, I've taken tuna salad and/or egg salad pre-mixed in a bowl along with a bread to made sandwiches in the park to avoid the sogginess factor. You can buy tuna in the pouch and also already hard-cooked eggs to make this up pretty easily. It's a nice change from PB&J. Also, you can bring along a deli salad (like potato/macaroni/pasta/coleslaw) in a cooler to share. When I was with family, we brought one big bag of chips for all of us to share. Individual cups of fruit or applesauce are easy to pack and don't need to stay cold.

I love the fried chicken idea! I've done that at a country music festival where we took a midbreak day to have cold chicken, salads, fruit. I also love cold pizza, so if you bought a pizza the night before, I'd be a happy camper the next day. On picnics, I usually take some cubes of cheese, some hummus, pepperoni, crackers and make a snack fest. You could do something like that and have less expensive "lunchables".

We went in October and brought bacon, turkey ( with mayo) sandwiches with us. I think our cooler had one small ice pack, but we also froze our water bottles and used those as ice packs too. It was fine when we ate them at the parks. Still quite cold. WE also kept the bread and meat separate from the lettuce and tomatoes so as to keep the bread from getting soggy.

Now, this was 4 years ago, but I also want to say we brought mayo and mustard packets with us in the cooler

I'm a big fan of bringing in a lunch!

Wraps hold up much better than sandwiches made with regular bread. I add any dressing just before eating to prevent sogginess.

Pasta salads do well too. My favorite is Southwestern(ish) made with black beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers and ranch dressing.

Salad in a "jar", I use old yogurt containers and toss them in the recycle bins when done. There are tons of ideas for these on Pinterest.

Whole fruit like apples and satsumas/clementines work. Baggied grapes are easy for snacking in line.

Pretzels stand up to a Disney day much better than chips.

Individual hummus pkgs with carrots, celery with peanut butter

Little individual cheeses, cherry tomatoes and crusty rolls

If you don't have a freezer double bagged ice will keep cool till an early lunch.

Bon Appetit!

Bagels are easier to pack because they don't get smashed like bread does. Use containers like gladware for grapes and such. Rolled salami and cream cheese is easy to eat on the go

We cut up fruit or bring whole fruits like apples and bananas. Frozen gogurts and cheese sticks for the kids, if we bring a small cooler bag. Bottles of frozen water for sure.

We cut up fruit or bring whole fruits like apples and bananas. Frozen gogurts and cheese sticks for the kids, if we bring a small cooler bag. Bottles of frozen water for sure.

bananas would never make it for us. inevitably someone will lean back with the bag on - ha I'm thinking frozen grapes will be good. and the gogurts & cheese sticks are a great idea

bananas would never make it for us. inevitably someone will lean back with the bag on - ha I'm thinking frozen grapes will be good. and the gogurts & cheese sticks are a great idea
True! In a small cooler bag, it might have a chance, but would need to be eaten earlier than later. Maybe sub it out with an orange. ;)

I think making use of the coolers and lockers at Disney is the best bang-for-your-buck. When DH & I do daytrips to Disney we take Publix subs with us and go eat our lunch at one of the indoor QS eating areas. Generally, we always have a backpack with different heat-resistant snacks and lots of water.

I think making use of the coolers and lockers at Disney is the best bang-for-your-buck. When DH & I do daytrips to Disney we take Publix subs with us and go eat our lunch at one of the indoor QS eating areas. Generally, we always have a backpack with different heat-resistant snacks and lots of water.

Ive never even checked into the lockers - totally forgot about them actually. Do you know how much they run a day? Aren't they only at the entrance?

Last time we went we stayed off property and we brought our lunches most days. We froze uncrustables, go gurts and waters then by lunchtime they were usually dethawed. I also made ham/turkey/roast beef sandwiches on bagel thins on occasion just to mix it up. I stock piled on mayo and mustard packets before our trip making sure to ask for some anytime we go to a drive thru and then I took those with us for sandwiches.
I made a big ole thing of taco salad one day and took it in separate containers (meat in one, shredded lettuce in a bag, shredded cheese in a bag and a big bag of chips) then brought some plates and plastic forks. That worked out great too.

We have also taken a bag of pepperoni, cheese cubes, bag of Gardetto's, cheese sticks and grapes. You don't have to refrigerate pepperoni until it's been opened, but with my guys, the bag is gone in one sitting. Plus it's a lunch they can pull together without too much difficulty and has enough choices to keep everyone happy.

OH yeah and we no longer pack in water bottles. Any quick service location and most snack stands will give you a free cup of ice water in whatever size you need.

OH yeah and we no longer pack in water bottles. Any quick service location and most snack stands will give you a free cup of ice water in whatever size you need.
True on the water, although MK water was never as good as the other parks in terms of taste (to us!).

True on the water, although MK water was never as good as the other parks in terms of taste (to us!).
Bring empty Brita sport water bottle with the built in filter. Pour the yucky Disney water into the Brita and you are good to go. Or get water from Starbucks as they use filtered water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter