Least expensive things at Disney World.

During Christmas the campers at Fort Wilderness Campground decorate their RVs and campsites with lights that rival those found in just about any neighborhood. We combine a boat ride to and from MK/FW and are able to enjoy a wonderful little side trip that has lots of character!

Do you see the decorated RVs on the boat ride over to Fort Wilderness? And if not, how do you tour the campsites once you disembark there?

The celebration buttons for birthdays, anniversaries, first visits, etc are a nice touch. Disney used to sell buttons like that and now the price has dropped to zero.

Just a note for the pressed pennies, we found these by accident during our first trip and love them. Did some research for this years trip and found out that the shiny new pennies actually make weird streaks due to a change in the metal content. I have a bunch of old wheat pennies that are all copper and have polished some up to take with me. As for the m&m tube, someone suggested you stack them 2 Q & 1P to be prepared, I am using that trick. Also, I heard in Tommorowland they have some that do dimes, will BOLO for them.

We really enjoyed pin trading. I bought a lot of 20 pins on ebay for $12. Gave each kid 10 pins and bought a lanyard on ebay for $7 each. The kids loved trading pins. Neither kids wanted to buy anything at the shops. Instead they just wanted to check out the pin boards. They also enjoyed going to different resorts to eat so they could look for pins. So for $13 per kid they had loads of entertainment and felt like they were buying something from shops when they were trading for pins. They came home with some really neat pins that they have displayed in their bedrooms and no gift shop souvenirs.

I'd be careful getting ones from ebay however as quite often their fake and then you're trading fake ones into the parks which is sad. I know there are websites online that can teach how find fake from real :)

I love getting pins too. Except I don't like trading :p I buy all my favourite ones, princesses and villains are my faves :D

Just a note for the pressed pennies, we found these by accident during our first trip and love them. Did some research for this years trip and found out that the shiny new pennies actually make weird streaks due to a change in the metal content. I have a bunch of old wheat pennies that are all copper and have polished some up to take with me. As for the m&m tube, someone suggested you stack them 2 Q & 1P to be prepared, I am using that trick. Also, I heard in Tommorowland they have some that do dimes, will BOLO for them.

FWIW, the dime machines are at Space Mountain. They take 3 quarters for each dime.

2 quick suggestions based on prior experience:

1. M&M tubes now come in different sizes, make sure you get the correct size or the quarters won't really fit. Also, over time they don't seal as well, and the tube rattles when you shake it. Having tried the tube, I'm back to just my regular coin pouch: more compact and quiet.

2. Pins - use a lanyard or something similar. We made the mistake of using a regular shirt, and the pins made holes. As the day progressed, the hole got pretty bad in a regular t-shirt.

For all those pressed penny fans, here is some more info:

Pressed Penny List. There are several that take quarters as well as dimes and pennies. The list has the details and check boxes for those among us who are OCD like me. Love a check box and a dry erase board!

http://www.presscoins.com/Listings/WDWChecklist.pdf.

Several years ago I was looking into the whole penny thing and found out the pre 1982 are the best because they don’t have the new zinc in them and don’t “smear” when they are squished. If you have "dirty" pre 82 pennies you can clean them with vinegar...haven't tried it yet, but it if was said on the disboards it has to be true :-)

We also received stickers from several CMs, and a great Mickey illustration in the mail when we came home. Maybe because it was our first trip? - not sure.

Nope, I have 3 or 4 of these from previous trips. Different characters - last one was Dumbo.

We found the pork shank at Gastons Tavern this trip and it was a great bargain for lunch! DH and I shared one and it was plenty for both of us to share!

I just heard that they're phasing out the hand-cranked penny-mashers with electronic ones and the price will now be $1.01!

Do you see the decorated RVs on the boat ride over to Fort Wilderness? And if not, how do you tour the campsites once you disembark there?

I don't believe you can see them from the boat. There are internal buses at FtW that take you from bus stop to bus stop. I would just walk personally but you can rent bikes or golf carts as well.

Most, if not all, of the pins you trade with CMs are the ones that are often called "fake"....but when pressed for ways to tell they're "fake"....the typical response from those who poo-poo ebay purchases is that it has the same markings as the "real" ones but they just "look and feel" different. So PPs kids probably traded their "fake" for other peoples' "fake" pins. Since the kids love their pins, and aren't looking for future investment pins, I don't see what difference it makes. We got taken by a guest trade our first week of pin collecting....he told my daughter the Ariel she wanted was "very rare" and insisted he'd only trade it for 2 of hers....after I made sure she understood....she willingly did so.......the next day she found the same exact pin on a CM lanyard and was so excited to think she could get one for her sister.....only to have the CM say it wasn't rare at all, in fact could be purchased at the pin shop in the park.....we made our first venture into a pin shop to find yep, it was an $8 pin. Our second time talking to a guest was when we had a discussion with a "professional pin trader" (his title, not mine)....and then showed him the pins we had.....after looking closely at them (my daughter wanted to trade for one of his) he proclaimed them "all fakes" and refused to trade with her and started being rather rude about what he perceived as her trying to rip people off....I was a few yards away and upon hearing him, I walked up to stop him and I produced the receipt for 6 of them that we had bought from the Emporium in the last couple of days (that he had just proclaimed fake) and he all but told me I was a liar and that Emporium doesn't sell fakes so I couldn't have purchased them from there. Being so very new to pin trading, and having our second ugly transaction of the week, and the thought that I bought fake pins from Disney themselves, I went in and talked with a manager at Emporium. According to her, most self-proclaimed professional traders don't know how to tell the difference except for the ones without the Disney mark on the back.....because the "fakes" being sold are 99% ones that were made in the same factory as the "real" ones that they sell....but that the China factory makes more and sells them independently. Very enlightening conversation. Now my children do not attempt trades with guests. CMs will trade any pin with the Disney mark on them. If Disney felt they were fakes and therefore should not be traded, then CMs wouldn't be allowed to do so. Over the last 10 years we have traded thousands of pins, all of which we bought from ebay in bulk, and in all those pins we have never been refused a trade from a CM. We LOVE to trade with CMs....and then to talk to them about Pins, Characters and Disney....we have made friends with several CMs and look forward to seeing them each trip. If you want to enhance your pin trading, be sure to start up a conversation with the CM beyond "can I see your pins, and trade you this one".

We have received some from ebay that were scratched and certainly wouldn't interest a "professional trader" but my kids love the pins so they don't mind the minor scratches. I guess it all depends on what you are trading for.....monetary value or the joy of having a beautiful pin of your favorite character.

We, and our "fake" pins will be arriving in WDW in 2 weeks, and we'll spend the next month trading the 200 pins we each have....so if you feel those bought on ebay are all fakes.....be aware, we're coming, lol! We are probably the ones that have already traded with the CM, but stick around and talk to them while they trade with other guests...say hello to us too!

2 quick suggestions based on prior experience:

1. M&M tubes now come in different sizes, make sure you get the correct size or the quarters won't really fit. Also, over time they don't seal as well, and the tube rattles when you shake it. Having tried the tube, I'm back to just my regular coin pouch: more compact and quiet.

2. Pins - use a lanyard or something similar. We made the mistake of using a regular shirt, and the pins made holes. As the day progressed, the hole got pretty bad in a regular t-shirt.
I stuff a couple of cotton balls into my tubes to keep them from rattling :)

We think Kona is a great deal for a sit-down meal! We like to go to MK for rope drop and have a late breakfast at Kona. We're full for most of the day and we get to take the monorail for a resort loop.

We also like to split a meal at Wolfgang Puck Express. The meals are huge and a good price, plus the food is super yummy.

Another vote for EoS, and if you join their email list, they will send you a coupon for a free sandwich! Just make sure you watch when you sign up because the coupon is only good for 1 month from the date they send it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter