• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Learning a language

I am working on French myself. Spanish would have been more practical but I love how French sounds. What is amusing to me is coming across words I have heard in songs or movies and going “Oh, so that’s what that means!”

Good for you guys! I've tried learning French several times (it's a big requirement for a LOT of jobs here) but I just can't seem to catch on

It kind of makes me sad that they say (or at least when I was actively studying language when the dinosaurs roamed) that the older you get, the harder it is to learn language. I was such a nerdy teenager that foreign language was my hobby. I took one class of French and found it difficult and ending up taking Spanish because it was easier. I also took Spanish in college. I still know enough Spanish to get in trouble, it helps me understand a lot of Portuguese and Italian. I have been to France, and still cannot understand or speak French for anything besides the most basic of phrases. In college I did hang out w/somebody from Sweden and tried to pick up a little bit of that. I am still interested in learning that. I never really knew anything beyond basic phrases though. I signed up for German class in college but when they handed us a vocabulary list of like 60 words on the first day and said you have 2 days to learn them, I went and dropped the class.

I am kind inspired to check into studying more now!

I may need to do this for work. Are you using an online program or brick&mortar class?
I can’t speak for NIC, but I am using a mix of things for my French. I started by downloading free apps and audio books to see what method would work best for me. One of them was a free lesson from Pimsleur, which has been around for ages. I found for me, that particular format forced me to actually think in French, as opposed to just memorization.

So for Christmas, the main thing I asked for was the complete set of CDs for French 1. They have an online version as well, but it’s easier for me to listen in the car with a CD than my iPad or phone. I am using an app to supplement vocabulary, and a verbal translation app to work on pronunciation. So far, the mix is working pretty well. It’s slow, but I can see progress every week, and that keeps me going. I spend an average of 5-7 days per lesson because I want to be sure I get it right, even though they say you can move to the next one once you get 80% of the material. I figure, with my luck, that missing 20% would be very important.

I think, since people can be very different in the way they learn new material, that it is important to explore different types of lessons to see what works best for you.

Love this. It is harder, but not impossible as we age to grasp a new language. For me it’s not speaking them on the daily, so it’s easy to forget. I speak English and French every day, but since my in-laws passed very little Italian, so when I do speak it at work, it’s rusty.

I've used duolingo in the past - a few times a week for 20 mins and you pick it up. I was just brushing up on Italian and then did French for a trip ..I was surprised how much French I had picked up in a short period of time. Of course, many times I'd find myself speaking a mix of both combined ..that always got a laugh.

Using Duolingo myself! Finding it really comprehensive and easy going - all it asks of you is ten minutes of your time a day, although I've been enjoying it so much I'm actually been averaging 30 - 40 :)

I took French and Spanish in school and know a handful of words in Arabic and Japanese. Over time I've forgotten most of what I've learned, but when I've had a seizure sometimes I remember the words more. So strange.

I've used duolingo in the past - a few times a week for 20 mins and you pick it up. I was just brushing up on Italian and then did French for a trip ..I was surprised how much French I had picked up in a short period of time. Of course, many times I'd find myself speaking a mix of both combined ..that always got a laugh.

I use duolingo......5 minutes a day, everyday if I can. And sometimes do more lessons.
It's easy to do and kind of fun.
I am doing Spanish.

I use duolingo......5 minutes a day, everyday if I can. And sometimes do more lessons.
It's easy to do and kind of fun.
I am doing Spanish.
I've been using Duolingo for Spanish and it's ok but it teaches mainly Latin American Spanish and uses American English so it has less value for a British person learning the language to use in Spain.

ford family

Kids have a natural affinity for language which makes it a shame that most schools do not bother to introduce foreign languages until high school when the affinity for language learning has begun to dim. I lived in Germany for 13 years and while I picked up a rudimentary understanding of the language I was not fluent. I had a friend though who was Puerto Rican and had married a French girl. His kids, who attended German schools were quadra-lingual speaking English, Spanish, French and German with equal proficiency. It was scary, they could switch back and forth depending on who they were talking to. This is a natural ability that all children could pickup if the parents and schools would concentrate on it.

I took French in school, but don't really use it now, so I've lost a lot. I remember a few phrases, of course, but mostly I have better luck reading it than actually speaking it.

Thanks to working with little kids, though, I can count to ten in English, French, Spanish, and Japanese!

Bonjour! So for me its French...as Paris is our favorite city in the world, and... I have used Babbel, and Youtube... Our first trip, I practiced and practiced just a few basic phrase's... which we did get by on, Yet... I want to know more... I will say that I retained most of what I learned..

We are heading back to the city of lights next year for our Anniversary... So I am back at it trying to learn and understand more... I'm going to check out Duolingo.

Au revoir...

Bonjour! So for me its French...as Paris is our favorite city in the world, and... I have used Babbel, and Youtube... Our first trip, I practiced and practiced just a few basic phrase's... which we did get by on, Yet... I want to know more... I will say that I retained most of what I learned..

We are heading back to the city of lights next year for our Anniversary... So I am back at it trying to learn and understand more... I'm going to check out Duolingo.

Au revoir...

Yes. In Europe, the expectation is that we(Americans) should put a little effort into learning some of the language. Any effort at all is likely to be repaid 2x in help or assistance from a local. They may ignore you otherwise....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter