Leap day crowd question...

lisagirl88

Mouseketeer
We arrive in WDW on leap day(Feb.29). I already made my dinner ressies in MK for that evening and were planning to go right to the MK once we checked into our resort. Do you think it will be crazy busy that day in MK since it is open for 24 hours straight? I'm just wondering if I should pick another park for that afternoon/evening? Thanks!!!

would love to know too we arrive the 28th to go in MK on the 29th. I heard they need to line uyp at 4:30am for the free ears sorry I will be in bed then:rotfl2:

Are the ears for for anyone within the first 500 or do you have to be a ap holder or visa holder?
Amy

Ears are for AP who signed up and got a voucher. It took only a few minutes for them to be all accounted for

I'm not getting there in time to get the ears, but really wanted a veteran Disney goer to give me their opinion on what the crowds would be like and in their opinion whether we should plan for another park that day.

I got the Ears. So I'm gonna be up early and grab them. I might just stay for a while. Collect FPs and take a nap. Then hit the park back up at night.

I'm not getting there in time to get the ears, but really wanted a veteran Disney goer to give me their opinion on what the crowds would be like and in their opinion whether we should plan for another park that day.

No Disney veteran can accurately weigh in because this has never been done before!
I will speculate that you may see a slightly increased crowd over normal late February crowds in the morning and daytime hours. I would anticipate that the crowds overnight won't be significant. Again - these are only guesses.

I got the Ears. So I'm gonna be up early and grab them. I might just stay for a while. Collect FPs and take a nap. Then hit the park back up at night.

Ears? Are they special for Leap Day? How did you get them? Congratulations! I'm sure they will be a lot of fun.

Here's how I speculate things going, based partly upon experience with EMH and on what many people seem to be talking about doing themselves:

6am >> Crowds beginning slightly heavier than normal for an early morning rope drop due to the hype placed on the event...steadily increasing until 10am as more morning people enter the park. Headline attraction wait times rapidly increase to 30 minutes and continue to slowly increase to 60 minutes as 10am approaches.

10am >> Crowds leveling off through 1pm due to morning people leaving and sleep-in people coming in. Headline attraction wait times steadily increasing to 75 minutes.

1pm >> No significant change in crowds until 5pm. Headline attraction wait times remain around 60-75 minutes.

5pm >> Crowds begin increasing again due to ADRs at the park and Wishes at 8pm. Sleep-In crowd never left. Some morning people have taken naps and returned for evening entertainment. Headline attraction wait times steady around 75 minutes until 10pm.

10pm >> Crowds begin slow decline. Families with small children who have been there most of the day now start to leave. Sleep-in people start to tire. Morning people who took naps still going strong. Headline wait times decrease to 45 minutes until 1am.

1am >> Crowds begin sharper decline. Sleep-In crowds now leaving in larger numbers. Morning people who napped, still going strong, and perhaps more just entering. Families with small children become scarce. Headline wait times decrease to 10 minutes as 3am approaches.

3am >> Crowds at lowest levels. Only people remaining are those who just came in, perhaps for the first time in the 24 hours, because they can. Even Morning people who napped are tapering off. A handful of 24-hour rogue park goers continue to roam the park, becoming more as zombies in appearance and behavior with each passing minute, but ultimately pose no threat. Security unlocks shotgun vault just in case :3dglasses. Headline attraction wait times vary from 10 minutes to non-existent through 6am.

Again this is all speculative.

Rocketear- thanks for detailed thoughts on crowds!!!

I know the leap day event has never happened before so I am just looking for speculations and opinions:)

I switched around dining ressies for Mk on the 29th just last week with MANY openings. Based on how easy that was I am guessing it will not be that busy. At least I hope!

I like RocketEAR's predictions; they seem to be very well thought out and make a lot of sense. Even Mickey, I expect, will morph from "appliance salesman" Mickey in this set (http://www.disneystore.com/mickeys-car-wash-mickey-mouse-figure-set-6-pc/mp/1299598/1000034/) to the more frazzled Mickey depicted here (http://www.disneystore.com/winged-mickey-mouse-tee-for-adults/mp/1288788/1000034+1000204/)

At the same time, more and more guests' appearances change to be more similar to this fellow's: http://www.disneystore.com/walt-disney-world-classic-mickey-tee-for-men/mp/1295627/1000034+1000204/
(Ignore this - link goes to a different item/pic now)

All of which is to say, get your picture with Mickey as early as you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter