• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

LAX to Disneyland

Nabas

DIS Veteran
We're flying into LAX, returning from a trip in Hawaii, landing at 8 PM Friday night. We're thinking about staying 2 nights at the Disneyland Hotel.

What's the best way to get between the two? Do we rent a car? Uber? Something else?

Ooh, 8 pm on a Friday night?! you're definitely going to get a surge charge from Uber or Lyft. Have you tried a car service?

Ooh, 8 pm on a Friday night?! you're definitely going to get a surge charge from Uber or Lyft. Have you tried a car service?
$403 roundtrip for the Karmel Shuttle mentioned on the DL website.

I can rent a car for the 2 days for $190.

Would be staying on DVC points, so parking is included.

I dislike driving to/from LAX so I'd pay more not to have to drive
Flight lands at 7:35 PM. By the time I pick up my luggage and get the car, it probably will be closer to 9 PM on a Friday night.

Our flight home would be about 2 PM on Sunday. Since my spouse likes to get to the airport hours early and if we have to drop off a car, we'd be returning to the airport Sunday morning. Hopefully, better traffic then.

So the question is, what's LAX-to-DL traffic like at about 9 PM on a Friday night?

We used Midwilshuttle to get from LAX to DLH on 12/31 (late morning). The cost was $125 + tip. We had also looked Executive Car Service but they wanted to add an extra charge due the holiday.

Having a scheduled car service was nice for LAX because they can pick you up right at the curb. For Uber/Lyft you have to take a shuttle to a special area where they can pick up (although some terminals are closer than others)

On our way back to the airport (from Universal Hollywood) we did Lyft and paid around $60. They can drop off right at terminal curbside.

I hate driving in LA so I would not rent a car.

I would just rent a car. Fridays everywhere I’ve been tend to start rush hour earlier. People head out from work early to start the weekend. It would be more traffic than that time on a weeknight, but it shouldn’t be full on rush hour. You can plug in the time you think you would leave into Google maps and see what it says.

Flight lands at 7:35 PM. By the time I pick up my luggage and get the car, it probably will be closer to 9 PM on a Friday night.

Our flight home would be about 2 PM on Sunday. Since my spouse likes to get to the airport hours early and if we have to drop off a car, we'd be returning to the airport Sunday morning. Hopefully, better traffic then.

So the question is, what's LAX-to-DL traffic like at about 9 PM on a Friday night?
You don't mention where you're from or how used to busy city traffic you are. We're from a major city ourselves and don't shy away from driving, wherever we vacation. We've driven from LAX all over LA and Orange County tons of times, at all times of day. It's not hard unless you think it is. Included parking at the hotel would make this a no-brainer for me. :wave2:

You don't mention where you're from or how used to busy city traffic you are. We're from a major city ourselves and don't shy away from driving, wherever we vacation. We've driven from LAX all over LA and Orange County tons of times, at all times of day. It's not hard unless you think it is. Included parking at the hotel would make this a no-brainer for me. :wave2:
Have lived in Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta.

Have lived in Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta.
Rent the car and drive. If you do decide otherwise and are thinking of Uber, check out prices of the metered taxis at the LAX transport area before you decide. Twice now when we've been cruising out of Long Beach, a metered taxi has been substantially cheaper than Uber during surge pricing. They can usually give you a very accurate estimate of what the fare will be or even offer a flat rate to major destinations. Have a great trip, whatever you decide. :wave2:

If you're not going anywhere else and just staying at the resort, then there's really no need to rent a car?

Didn't they have bus shuttles to and from LAX? Do they not do that anymore?

If you're not going anywhere else and just staying at the resort, then there's really no need to rent a car?

Didn't they have bus shuttles to and from LAX? Do they not do that anymore?
Nope. Not to Disneyland that are cheap. They are all pretty expensive and don’t leave at convenient times.

It isn't bad. Right now (Wednesday night at 9:20 pm, the estimate is 35-40 min).

Are you by any chance flying in on Hawaiian Airlines? If so, their gates are a 20-30 min walk from baggage claim.

It isn't bad. Right now (Wednesday night at 9:20 pm, the estimate is 35-40 min).

Are you by any chance flying in on Hawaiian Airlines? If so, their gates are a 20-30 min walk from baggage claim.
Flying in on Southwest.

We booked two nights at VDH and changed our return flight to take into account the 2 nights.

Probably will rent a car since this seems to be the cheapest option for just 2 nights.

We’ll probably be too tired to go to the parks for the one full day we have. Probably will just sleep in, have brunch, hangout at the pool, and then see Downtown Disney.

Flying in on Southwest.

We booked two nights at VDH and changed our return flight to take into account the 2 nights.

Probably will rent a car since this seems to be the cheapest option for just 2 nights.

We’ll probably be too tired to go to the parks for the one full day we have. Probably will just sleep in, have brunch, hangout at the pool, and then see Downtown Disney.
With that schedule I'd definitely rent a car. Gives you flexibility for your day in case you want to leave Disney property and grad something elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter