LAX Hotels family of 5? And will we be bored?

PinkCupcakes

Earning My Ears
Any recommendations for a LAX hotel - or elsewhere nearby?

We will be arriving from Fiji about 12.30pm and will be departing LAX the next day for Orlando sometime in the morning - haven't booked this flight yet.

We have 3 children who will be 11, 8 and almost 2.

If we stay at one of the airport hotels will we have much to do> Do any offer shuttles to the beach/ shopping?

I know we will be tired but I didn't want to waste an afternoon at the hotel if we could help it!

I thought of staying at Loews in Hollywood but it's quite expensive and by the time you actually get there we probably wouldn't have time to do much?

Any suggestions???

I don't have any suggestions for a hotel. The only reason I fly to LAX is to go straight to DLR :thumbsup2 If I was to stay there for an overnight transit though, I'd probably stick close to the airport, choose somewhere with a nice looking pool, and spend the afternoon relaxing (it might also involve a couple of adult beverages...).

I just wanted to give a shout out though to a fellow Aussie (and Victorian no less) who is flying through Fiji :wave2: With such great deals, I'm surprised there are not more of us! When are you flying? And are you doing a stopover in Fiji, or just using it as a transit point?

On the trip back from Orlando last year, we decided to have a night in LA to break up the long flights.
We stayed at LAX Travelodge, its old but clean & reasonable rates. They have a free shuttle to & from the airport, it very close to LAX.
There is a Denny's next door, and a few other takeaway places close.
You can get a trolley bus , couple mins walk away , that goes in a loop to Manhattan Beach, this was quite nice, some nice little shops there and it also goes to 2 shopping malls.There is a Maceys at one of the malls. It only costs a couple of $'s and where u get off the bus, u just wait there when u want to get back on, driver will tell u anyhow.
We found this just perfect , as we got back from Orlando into LA around 11am, so just lazed around and they do half day rates, so we had the room until 6.30pm the next day, so we did the trolley trip, and got back to have showers ect before heading off to the airport.
Worth looking at, if u want to safe some money on hotels

I have been looking at Fiji Air, but my trip is not till Dec next year. Will be interested to hear how the flights were.

OK. I will look up the Travelodge. Thanks! It sounds easy enough to get around to other places.

Zanzibar - we are flying out from MEL on 28 Oct. As we get into Fiji early on the 29th we will stay at a hotel near the airport for the day. I think it's called the Raffles Gateway? On the way home we will stay for about 3 nights. We've been to Fiji a few times now and it's perfect place to relax after a whirlwind US trip :thumbsup2

I know - the airfares were too good to pass up!

I've never stayed at LAX before either - we go straight to DL too. But I decided to change things up and do WDW first in the hope that we will more likely see some og the Christmas decorations at DL if we visit there second! Can't wait!

We're going late August/September. I'll probably forget about this thread by then, but I'll be doing a TR which will definitely include a review of the flights. I'm super lucky to be able to go business class though, so will be reporting on that :thumbsup2

I booked my fare just from Nadi to LAX (cheaper business class for the worst part of the trip), and just getting cheap/reward fares to Fiji (I can handle budget for 5 hours :thumbsup2). I actually just booked my fare MEL-NAN this morning with Virgin for $285. Unfortunately my return date is during school holidays, so no cheap flights then! I'll probably get my flight back using Qantas points.

At this stage it doesn't look like I'll have a stopover in Fiji. DH and I are taking separate flights to and from the US, and it doesn't seem worth it to do it on my own. It would be a great way to unwind on the way home though!

The Travelodge sounds like a great place to spend the night. Close enough to LAX that it won't be a hassle to get to, and easy enough to go sightseeing if you want to :thumbsup2

We flew out of LAX last Oct at about 10pm, so we needed a hotel to have a shower and change our clothes at. We also used the Travelodge for the afternoon/early evening and had a quick bite at the attached Dennys. It was a decent 1/2 day rate, but just to reiterate this hotel is VERY dated and basic. To be honest I wouldn't have been happy staying the night ( though I think they reserve the smallest oldest rooms for the day guests), but it served it's purpose for what we wanted. I don't think we would use it again though, I think we would just pay a full nights rate at a better quality place

Stayed at the Travelodge May 2013 for the day before our late evening flight to Orlando. Very happy with our stay. Basic but clean, pleasant pool area and friendly staff. Had everything that we required. :) Staying again in a week's time. ;)

They probably do Caroline, cause we had a very big room with 2 queen beds, loungechair and big bathroom and we could sit outside the room, had table and chairs. We were right near the office on ground floor.
I wouldn't walk around the area at night, but it was fine during the day to walk down to the bus stop.
Felt save staying the night:)

I would stay near the airport and perhaps go visit the beach for a few hours.

I have stayed in the Marriott and the Hilton in the past and they were both nice, if not predictable. I'm not sure if they accommodate 5 to a room, but I'm guessing they do since your youngest is only 2.
I'm staying at the Marriott again in September as I got a good deal of US$102 p/n on a room. Because our family of four includes 3 adults, I booked 2 rooms.

Where are you staying for your 3 nights in Fiji? I can recommend Navini Island Resort. It's pretty much one of my favourite places in the world and they pick you up from the airport any time of the day or night.

Where are you staying for your 3 nights in Fiji? I can recommend Navini Island Resort. It's pretty much one of my favourite places in the world and they pick you up from the airport any time of the day or night.[/QUOTE]

Wanderlust - I am looking at staying at Fiji Beach Resort at Port Denaru for the 3 nights. We have stayed at Naviti a couple a years ago for SILs wedding. It was wonderful but just thought we wouls try somewhere different :)

I am going to have to email the Travelodge about 5 in a room as it won't let me book online with 5, even though they say they can accomodate a cot plus the 2 queen beds.

Fiji Beach Resort looks lovely. I hope you have a great time.

Also, just incase there was some confusion, I have never stayed at Naviti. The resort I love is Navini with an 'N'. People often confuse the two as their names are so similar, but from what I understand they are very different resorts. :-)

Fiji Beach Resort looks lovely. I hope you have a great time.

Also, just incase there was some confusion, I have never stayed at Naviti. The resort I love is Navini with an 'N'. People often confuse the two as their names are so similar, but from what I understand they are very different resorts. :-)

Bahahaha :rotfl:. I really should read properly! I will check out NAVINI too! Thanks for the recommendation

We've been looking at the option of going via Nadi next time also. It would be so nice to relax in Fiji for a few days on the way home from the USA, we always come home feeling like we need a holiday after our holiday :laughing:

Near LAX we've stayed at the Marriott in connecting rooms and also the Embassy Suites 1bd with 2 queens and a sofa bed, there are six of us.
We've used the Ocean Express trolley quite a few times to go to Manhattan Village shops, there's a Ralph's and CVS next to it to pick up a few supplies too, and we've also hopped off and looked around the Manhattan beach area which is really nice. Have look here http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/programs/ocean-express/

We booked the Crown Plaza LAX through hotwire (or priceline... One of those sites :rotfl:) for a night before flying on to MCO the next day. I can't remember the rules for these sites, but maybe check them out before booking accommodation to see if you can get 5 in a room. It is often heaps cheaper to do it this way, if you don't mind exactly where you're staying. We were happy with the Crown Plaza.

The LAX hotels have a shuttle that take you to El Segundo beach and around several shopping areas. I think it's called the red trolley tour. You board a bus that looks just like an old red tram, the kids might like that :confused3

We booked the Crown Plaza LAX through hotwire (or priceline... One of those sites :rotfl:) for a night before flying on to MCO the next day. I can't remember the rules for these sites, but maybe check them out before booking accommodation to see if you can get 5 in a room. It is often heaps cheaper to do it this way, if you don't mind exactly where you're staying. We were happy with the Crown Plaza.

The LAX hotels have a shuttle that take you to El Segundo beach and around several shopping areas. I think it's called the red trolley tour. You board a bus that looks just like an old red tram, the kids might like that :confused3

I've booked a couple of rooms through Priceline for my upcoming trip, and have been very happy with the selections and prices I've got. They will only guarantee an occupancy of 2 per room. Hotwire is fine though, you can specify how many people in the room. We did quite well with a hotel in San Francisco through them on our last trip, but the price was not as heavily discounted as the 'name your own price' feature on Priceline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter