• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Laundry questions..

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Okay, I'm not totally clueless, BUT...

I usually do my own laundry, and wife does hers (no kids). Over the years I have mastered jeans, shirts, underwear, etc.. When I see a load of towels that need to be done I'm on it.

Now, this morning on my wife's way out the door she asked me to do the bedsheets. There are two dirty sets. So, it certainly appeared as though I could fit both sets in one load (king size), but when it started I noticed the water was just not high enough. I tried to rectify by grabbing a garbage bag and pulling some soaking wet sheets out mid cycle. Let me tell you I make a holy mess. Now I'm worried about throwing off the proper water to soap ratio with the remaining sheets seeing as though I tinkered with the natural formula. So, I stopped the machine, drained it, and restarted. That load is accomplished.
Now for the sheets I pulled out and put into the (clean) garbage bag. I put those in a fresh load and noticed all these air pockets. The sheets weren't going down into the water. So, I stopped the machine and drained and did a spin cycle. I thought the spin would suck out the air. Now I restarted a normal cycle and the air bubbles are bigger than ever!!

What do I do??? How do I get the sheets to go down into the water??

PS- Can you use HE detergent in a conventional washer??

Thanks
MG

run it through the rinse cycle a couple of times. don't add more soap. I wonder if the soap bubbles have caused the air pockets.

I usually do my own laundry, and wife does hers (no kids). Over the years I have mastered jeans, shirts, underwear, etc.. When I see a load of towels that need to be done I'm on it.

Now, this morning on my wife's way out the door she asked me to do the bedsheets. There are two dirty sets. So, it certainly appeared as though I could fit both sets in one load (king size), but when it started I noticed the water was just not high enough. I tried to rectify by grabbing a garbage bag and pulling some soaking wet sheets out mid cycle. Let me tell you I make a holy mess. Now I'm worried about throwing off the proper water to soap ratio with the remaining sheets seeing as though I tinkered with the natural formula. So, I stopped the machine, drained it, and restarted. That load is accomplished.
Now for the sheets I pulled out and put into the (clean) garbage bag. I put those in a fresh load and noticed all these air pockets. The sheets weren't going down into the water. So, I stopped the machine and drained and did a spin cycle. I thought the spin would suck out the air. Now I restarted a normal cycle and the air bubbles are bigger than ever!!

Thanks
MG

You do know if you screw it up bad enough, you'll never have to do it again, right? :tilt:

Thanks
MG

Do what my husband does, hide the sheets in the trash and go buy new ones.

Rinsed twice and another full wash. Bubbles up the wazoo. That may have been the case with the first load but didn't check. I guess sheets just get bubbles..??
All day to do sheets... We likely have the cleanest sheets on the planet.

Any word about using he in conventional? I'm not real comfy with it personally.

MG

How can we get in touch with @Maistre Gracey's wife to tell her were onto his scheme? :scratchin

The wives have to stop this charade you guys are pulling! You can properly clean a toilet. You can load a dishwasher. The jig is up.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

We'll admit it as soon as you admit you know what a 5/8" wrench is ;)

Rinsed twice and another full wash. Bubbles up the wazoo. That may have been the case with the first load but didn't check. I guess sheets just get bubbles..??

MG

Yes you can use HE detergent in a conventional washer. It just won't suds as much.

I think the bubbles are there because the sheets are being put in wet.

MG

I wouldn't use HE in conventional -- since the HE has less suds, I'd worry that it's not getting clean enough in a regular washer unless regular detergent is used.

I do think that sheets just get bubbles. I have noticed from time to time that sheets are bubbled up in the washer, but I have never pulled sheets out and actually had a dry spot, as if the same spot were always bubbled above the water, so i assume that through the natural washing agitation everything gets dunked and washed at some point during the cycle.

I wouldn't use HE in conventional -- since the HE has less suds, I'd worry that it's not getting clean enough in a regular washer unless regular detergent is used.

That's just not true. Clothes will get just as clean as long as you use the recommended amount on the bottle.

How can we get in touch with @Maistre Gracey's wife to tell her were onto his scheme? :scratchin

The wives have to stop this charade you guys are pulling! You can properly clean a toilet. You can load a dishwasher. The jig is up.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Right after the wives properly wash the car, mow the lawn (yes, in straight lines) and take out the trash! :tongue: :tiptoe:

HE is fine in a conventional. It suds less, which has nothing to do with the way the soap works. Sudsing agents are added to products because people think we need bubbles in our soap to make it work and that's just not true. I have both front loading and top loading machines and I use the same detergent in both. I've heard that using regular detergent in a HE machine makes them stink faster, but there's no problem with the other way round.

To solve the problem of the bubbles, did you try putting the machine on a higher agitation (assuming your sheets aren't too delicate to handle that)? The agitation will push the sheets around more aggressively and will eventually release the air bubbles. Or you could just turn off the agitation, reach your hand in there and manipulate the sheets until the bubbles are gone.

My machines could totally handle 2 king sheet sets, but maybe they are higher capacity?

MmmHmmmm..... what about cleaning the car or mowing the lawn?

In my defense, :laughing:, the lawn issues are multiple. First, up until 2 years ago dh was using a Lawnboy from my guess would be somewhere from 1979-1982 manufacturer date, and it was not self propelled. When he was deployed years ago, I attempted to mow the lawn but couldn't start the darn thing. Even when my Dad came to visit he had trouble starting it. When my dad finally got it started and mowed, he told me if dh didn't get a new mower he was buying him one for Christmas because it was that bad. Also, my backyard is at a severe slope. I weight soaking wet 110lbs, no way can I even juggle the new mower on that back lawn.

I have washed my car before, and in fact cleaned the inside of my old car (just got a new one last weekend) for it to sell. The outside dh did, but I really think the inside was more of a chore. Wth does an 8 year old do to get so much crap in between the seats??? And how did she get liquid spots in the roof? How it that possible? I'm telling you inside car cleaning is worse than outside wash.

I'm ready for you to pick up that toilet bowl brush now! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter