Last Minute May 2020 Booking | 8th Grade Graduation Gift Trip

JenniJ

Mouseketeer
The last trip to Disney we back in 2011! Sooooo much has changed. We planned a trip in August of 2020, but decided to cancel. My DS is graduating from 8th grade and this is my 50th b-day year. My parents took me to Disney World the opening year when I was a year old so coming back in the 50th celebration year :love:. Thing is we JUST decided to book the trip LAST week! I have been scrambling to learn everything that has changed and plan.
DS and DP are also, not early risers everyday or rush to every ride. So I have to plan this as a semi-chill trip; not one I am used to planning.
Me & DP
Me - born into a family of Disney fanatic.
DP - Artist who wanted to work for Disney but didn’t like the drawing style I. The 90’s, so went another route. Didn’t watch a Disney movie till he met me 5 years ago. Has only been to Disney 2 times and only to MK And EPCOT. Huge Star Wars fan.

DS
He love all things Marvel and Star Wars. Been to Disney 2 times when he was 2 and 3. He is graduating 8th grade and lost year has been a difficult one with changing schools, but he kept his grades up so big gift.

Here is what I have so far.

5/13-5/21
5/13-5/18 Off site time share Marriott Grande Fiesta​
5/19-5/21 CSR Tower​

• Wake up at 2:30AM arrive at airport at 3AM
  • Arrive MCO about 9:00AM Will rent a car
  • Drive to Off site resort - 2 bedroom with kitchen and in room laundry - Shop for groceries for week - sleep and relax at report and pool maybe to DS. Go to bed early for 1st park day.
  • 1st day - HS - Wake up early to eat breakfast at resort room and arrive at park by 9AM. No Star Wars protion of the park. DS and DP are HUGE Star Wars fans and have a later day planned for just that part of the park. Didn't get Sci-Fi lunch ressies but put in request on Touring Plans.
  • 2nd day - EPCOT - No countries - Later arrival day as we are eating breakfast at Boma at 9:45AM and will walk around the resort. DP and DS wanted to stay at AKL but not for this trip. Arrive at EPCOT at 2:30. I am taking into account driving, parking and walking to gate. Now with having a teen, we are not doing a lot of rides, just SE, Soarin', Nemo (maybe), Figment, MS, TT.
  • 3nd day is a park hopper - start at MK - MK times is 9-4:30 so hoping crowds will be low. Wake up early to eat breakfast at resort room and arrive at park by 9AM. Thinking of taking an Uber to the park due to park hopping. We are only doing fantasyland and Hounted Mansion, this is based on Touring Plans with us leaving at about 2. Hop to EPCOT - wander around, take on a random ride here or there and shop. We should wrap up in the evening and can walk over to the resorts for ice cream at Beaches and Cream.
  • 4th day - Rest of MK day - This one is up in the air as far as scheduling when we arrive. I wanted to to a dessert party but I couldn’t get one booked. I read some times people will cancel the week before, so I guess I will try to see if any open up.
  • 5th day is down time - relax at the resort - shop at DS - Thinking of trying for a dessert party tomorrow AM, right now I have Morrimoto booked for early dinner. DP loves sushi and DS loves orange chicken.
  • 6th day - AK - not sure if we will arrive at park open or later. We are only going on the 6 rides and seeing FLK. We want to chill at Nomad Lounge and stay until night to see the Aviatar area aglow. Check out off site early. Already have check-in to CSR Tower.
  • 7th day - HS HS GE - We want to start at the parks at 8:30 this day. Not sure how this will work with checking into the room. Pay for Genie+ becasue the boys needs to go on all the rides. Hopefully, I will be able to book Savi's Workshop, Droid Depot and Oga's Cantina.
  • 8th Day - EPCOT countries - Eat at Trattoria al Forno and walk over to EPCOT. Enjoy the countries and some rides. Maybe park hop later maybe not.
  • Day home - Flight is not till 9PM. Enjoy shopping DS.
Please provide thoughts. Am I crazy to think this chill week will work?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Update:
Flipped our last 2 park days. Since the boys are big Star Wars fans, I don’t want to miss any time arriving to that park do to leaving our off site resort and checking into CSR.

I was able to book the following:
HS 1st day - Savi’s Workshop Outside the plans of keeping a GE only day, but maybe a ressie will open on our Star Wars day and I can change.
EPCOT Countries only day - Trattoria al Forno for breakfast. Le Cellier for late lunch. We wanted dinner, so will keep looking for open ressies sites for a switch.
Star Wars Day - Olga‘s for lunch? The time is 9:45. DP is not good with this, he wanted to enjoy the drinks, even if they are pre-made. AM drink that is not a Bloody Mary he does really drink. But guess he will for Star Wars. Lol. Droid Depot early evening. Sci-Fi Drive-In dinner not Star Wars but if I can get a ressie on the other HS day I will cancel. Still kinda fits with the sci-fi theme.

So I got all the ressies, maybe not on the days/times we wanted. For a last minute trip booking, I am so far giving myself a win.
now if I can score a Dessert Party,:cool1:

My DM decided to join us on this trip. She is thinking it will be her last Disney trip. 😥She is in her late 70’s.

I booked her Port Orleans Riverside for 4 days. 5/15-5/19. She wanted 5 days but l couldn’t find a moderate resort at a standard rate during that time. She was surprised how booked the resorts are now.
She didn‘t want tickets so I thought she just wanted to chill at the resort. She even mused about my DS spending a night with her before meeting us at a park. I told her that she can take the water taxi right over to Disney Springs to shop. It’s a great resort to relax.

But now, after talking with my sister, she found out you can’t just show up at any park and by a ticket day of. She says this is taking all the fun out of vacation and making it too much of a chore. Now she may not go. 😞

And if she goes, I will have to change my plans because she will only want to go to AK and EPCOT. And I don’t have EPCOT in the plans during her time down. All I can think is not have a free day and put a 1/2 day at EPCOT.

My DM decided to join us on this trip. She is thinking it will be her last Disney trip. 😥She is in her late 70’s.

I booked her Port Orleans Riverside for 4 days. 5/15-5/19. She wanted 5 days but l couldn’t find a moderate resort at a standard rate during that time. She was surprised how booked the resorts are now.
She didn‘t want tickets so I thought she just wanted to chill at the resort. She even mused about my DS spending a night with her before meeting us at a park. I told her that she can take the water taxi right over to Disney Springs to shop. It’s a great resort to relax.

But now, after talking with my sister, she found out you can’t just show up at any park and by a ticket day of. She says this is taking all the fun out of vacation and making it too much of a chore. Now she may not go. 😞

And if she goes, I will have to change my plans because she will only want to go to AK and EPCOT. And I don’t have EPCOT in the plans during her time down. All I can think is not have a free day and put a 1/2 day at EPCOT.

I think that you should keep your existing park day reservations as is. Tell your DM where you'll be on which days and that you'd love for her to join you, but it's totally up to her.

DM finally confirmed that she will be going. she changed her travel dates to fit in with our plans. Whew!
However, she does want to go to a water park on her arrival day, which is our down day. I told her we do not want to go to the water park, adding more cost to our vacation besides that we know we will NEED a down day of no lines.
My DS heard about her wanting to go to the water park, so he of course wants to go. We compromised; we will have our down day and she will take DS to the water park. :D

Update:
  • HS 1st day - Savi’s Workshop Outside the plans of keeping a GE only day, but maybe a ressie will open on our Star Wars day and I can change. No dining plans, just QS.
  • 1st Magic Kingdom Day: 'Ohana's for late breakfast.
  • Down day: Morimoto for dinner
  • EPCOT Countries only day - Trattoria al Forno Ale and Compass for breakfast. Le Cellier for late lunch. We wanted dinner, so will keep looking for open ressies sites for a switch.
  • Star Wars Day - Olga‘s for lunch? The time is 9:45. DP is not good with this, he wanted to enjoy the drinks, even if they are pre-made. AM drink that is not a Bloody Mary he does not drink, but he will for Star Wars. :) Droid Depot early evening. Savi's Workshop at 7:35PM. Sci-Fi Drive-In dinner not Star Wars but still fits with the sci-fi theme.

On the lookout for reservations at:
  • Beaches and Cream for our Down Day or the day we are only visiting EPCOT Countries.
  • Olga's for later in the day on Star Wars Day. If I get a later one, I will cancel the early res.
  • Sci-Fi Drive-In on HS Day. If I get one, I will be canceling the one on Star Wars Day.

Reactions: DLo
My DD has now decided to come along at the last minte. She will be staying with my Mom at the Port Orleans - Riverside for the length of her stay. Was only able to get her park reserviation for the day we visit Animal kingdom and a water park ticket. My mom wants to visit a water park on the day she arrives and is taking my DS and now DD with her. Myself and DP stood firm with keeping a down day.

Updates:
  • Arrival Day: no plans
  • HS 1st day: No dining plans, just QS.
  • 1st Magic Kingdom Day: Eat breakfast in the resort and QS at Magic Kingdom
  • 2nd Magic Kingdom day: 'Ohana's for late breakfast. Trying to get an earlier one so we don't have to leave the park. Dessert Pre-Party
  • Down day: Morimoto for dinner Whispering Canyon Cafe for breakfast (Me, DP and DS)
    • Mom and DD arrive. Mom and the kids going to Typhoon Lagoon. Me and DP will visit Disney Springs and relax. We all might visit Boardwalk in the evening.
  • Animal Kingdom Day: Boma for early breakfast.
  • EPCOT Countries only day: Myself, DP and DD move from timeshare off property to CSR Tower. Ale and Compass for late breakfast. Le Cellier for late lunch. Just going to eat QS.
  • Star Wars Day: Olga‘s for lunch? Olga's late afternoon. Droid Depot early evening. Savi's Workshop at 7:35PM. Sci-Fi Drive-In dinner not Star Wars but still fits with the sci-fi theme.
    • Mom and DD leave.
  • Departure Day: We all visit Disney Springs for shopping snacks and try to eat at Jock Lindsey's.
On the lookout for reservations at:
  • Chief Mickey's for Arrival day dinner or Down Day breakfast.
  • Earlier breakfast time for 'Ohana's
  • Party of 5 for breakfast at Ale and Compass
  • Beaches and Cream for our Down Day or the day we are only visiting EPCOT Countries.
  • Sci-Fi Drive-In on HS Day. If I get one, I will be canceling the one on Star Wars Day.

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter