Ladies - abnormal pap

DisBabe94

Mouseketeer
I'm 22 and had my first ever pap smear towards the end of March 2017. Got the call about a week later that it was abnormal (ASC-H). I had the colposcopy a few days ago, my wonderful Gyn took two samples for biopsy and did the endocervical curettage. So now I wait....

I guess I'm just looking for a perspective from other more experienced women who have gone through the same as I'm dealing with a lot of anxiety! Anybody have the same abnormal reading as me and what was the outcome?

My BFF has had multiple abnormal paps but further testing shows nothing serious to worry about. She just has to have extra paps to keep an eye on things.

I will admit it has been years since I had an abnormal pap, and mine turned out to be nothing. They did another and it turned out fine. Hope you have good results.
My BFF has had multiple abnormal paps but further testing shows nothing serious to worry about. She just has to have extra paps to keep an eye on things.
Thanks for the replies :) just trying to stay positive at this point! It is comforting to hear other ladies have it turn out to be nothing. My gyn says there is a decent chance it is nothing as well

Search for my threads. I had an abnormal colposcopy and had a cone biopsy after that. It's scary but it's better that you know what you're dealing with.

Good luck with your results :)

Search for my threads. I had an abnormal colposcopy and had a cone biopsy after that. It's scary but it's better that you know what you're dealing with.

Good luck with your results :)
I skimmed through one, so wow that was just a few months ago for you! I might be back to ask some questions once I get the results from the punch biopsy, if that's alright. :flower3: I am trying to stay positive as I did have the Gardasil vaccine back when I was oh, maybe 13 or 14 I think that was right when the vaccine came out. I am so glad my Mom insisted on it (she's the best :flower1:), and also no history of cancer in my family whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some strain of HPV (looking at a certain guy ugh)

Can I ask if you know what your abnormal pap reading was?

I skimmed through one, so wow that was just a few months ago for you! I might be back to ask some questions once I get the results from the punch biopsy, if that's alright. :flower3: I am trying to stay positive as I did have the Gardasil vaccine back when I was oh, maybe 13 or 14 I think that was right when the vaccine came out. I am so glad my Mom insisted on it (she's the best :flower1:), and also no history of cancer in my family whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some strain of HPV (looking at a certain guy ugh)

Can I ask if you know what your abnormal pap reading was?

As a requirement of an upcoming medical procedure i had to have an hpv test. Thats how i found out i had it and what led to the colposcopy. It was not the result of an abnormal pap..they had all been normal.

Ask all the questions you need, dm too, if theyre more personal.

I think most of the time, it turns out to be fine, most women I know seem to have had an abnormal pap, including dd20. It's easier when you are older, because you realize how common they are (same with mammogram).

I had an abnormal pap in my 30s. Colposcopy yielded normal results, so I just had to increase the frequency of my paps for a few years (IIRC, I went every 6 months for 2-3 years) and the subsequent ones all have been clean. Good luck!

Hey guys, I just got my results so I thought I'd fill you all in!

I have a CIN 2 abnormality on my cervix so I will go in and have it frozen off (cryo-therapy?) in an in-office procedure. After that I will have follow-up pap tests every 3 months for the next year to see if the abnormality is returning.

Thanks for all of the kind words and positive thoughts. :goodvibes

Hey guys, I just got my results so I thought I'd fill you all in!

I have a CIN 2 abnormality on my cervix so I will go in and have it frozen off (cryo-therapy?) in an in-office procedure. After that I will have follow-up pap tests every 3 months for the next year to see if the abnormality is returning.

Thanks for all of the kind words and positive thoughts. :goodvibes

Glad you have your results and a plan. Good luck :)

Glad you have your results and a plan. Good luck :)
Thanks! You know, it's not exactly good news but I feel relieved - it's the not knowing and the waiting that is so hard for me.

How are you doing? I saw on another thread you are having IV treatment, is that related to your cone biopsy, etc.?

Glad you have results and a plan. Be thankful you do paps so this was caught. Best of luck to you, it sounds like you are in good hands. :grouphug:

Make your pap appt.'s ladies if you are due!

Thanks! You know, it's not exactly good news but I feel relieved - it's the not knowing and the waiting that is so hard for me.

How are you doing? I saw on another thread you are having IV treatment, is that related to your cone biopsy, etc.?

No, at not related to the cone biopsy. I'm getting a hysterectomy in the summer for that.

My infusion is for MS. It's killing my immune system in the hopes that a healthy one regenerates.

Sorry to revive old thread but I searched and could only find this one. I stink at searching. I am 46 and been going to GYN since teens and having PAP every year. We moved in 2017 and I searched via insurance website for a female GYN near me. I got some large group and called and asked if they had female GYN to which they said yes and made me appt. When I got there it turned out she was a regular family practitioner in a family medical office. But she said she could do my PAP and send me for mammograms too. I had 1 grandma die from breast cancer and the other from ovarian so I am really really on top of taking my GYN seriously. So, year 1 she ran those tests then last year she didn't want to. She said I only needed to do PAP every 5 years but she said she would do it if I wanted and I said I did. Today....is year 3 and the nurse is like 'you don't get PAP for several years since you had one last year'. Doc comes in and says same...no PAP. Okay...didn't get one. Is that normal...PAP every 5 years? (they also didn't have down my medicine allergy which I have told them both past 2 visits and wrote it on the questionnaire when checking in today and still the nurse said 'no allergies'.

Sorry to revive old thread but I searched and could only find this one. I stink at searching. I am 46 and been going to GYN since teens and having PAP every year. We moved in 2017 and I searched via insurance website for a female GYN near me. I got some large group and called and asked if they had female GYN to which they said yes and made me appt. When I got there it turned out she was a regular family practitioner in a family medical office. But she said she could do my PAP and send me for mammograms too. I had 1 grandma die from breast cancer and the other from ovarian so I am really really on top of taking my GYN seriously. So, year 1 she ran those tests then last year she didn't want to. She said I only needed to do PAP every 5 years but she said she would do it if I wanted and I said I did. Today....is year 3 and the nurse is like 'you don't get PAP for several years since you had one last year'. Doc comes in and says same...no PAP. Okay...didn't get one. Is that normal...PAP every 5 years? (they also didn't have down my medicine allergy which I have told them both past 2 visits and wrote it on the questionnaire when checking in today and still the nurse said 'no allergies'.
I’ve had a similar experience in the past few years. I was seeing an OB/gyn who did them annually. When I got pregnant, I transferred my care to a midwife practice and they told me recommendations had changed and they would only do them every three years. I was comfortable with that because I know medical recommendations are constantly changing and excess monitoring can be overkill, yada yada. About the time I would’ve been due for the three year check, I mentioned it at one of my appointments and was told “Oh, you’re considered low risk so we would only do them every five years on you.” And that kind of annoyed me, because at what point does the hands off approach start leaning towards negligence? (Mind you, I was still getting annual reminders from the gyn practice I had left years prior.)

A few months later, I relocated to a new state and my new OB ordered a pap at my first exam, noting I was “overdue.” I explained the differing info I had been given over the past few years and the attitude at the new practice was along the lines of “It takes three seconds to do, insurance pays for it, and we prefer to do it annually just to be on the safe side.” Fine by me! ::yes::

I don’t know what the current recommendations actually are since I keep getting conflicting information, but I’m perfectly happy to err on the side of caution and do them annually. I can’t imagine how it would feel to have something gruesome turn up on one of the exams and be left wondering how differently things could’ve been had it been caught three or four years earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter