Kualoa Ranch Questions

SuzanneB74

Earning My Ears
Hello there!

We will be in Aulani in June and we would like to visit the Kualoa Ranch. What tours have you done and what would you recommend? I am looking at the Jungle Tour and the Ocean Catamaran tour. Any other tours recommended? We are going to zipline at Climbworks, so we won't do it there. I am also looking at the multi-tour package. Has anyone done the multi-tour? What is the lunch that is included?

Thanks so much for your feedback! This message board is such an amazing wealth of information! :)

We did the VIP Movie Tour - details and photos in my trip report in my signature.

We enjoyed it very much. It's ideal for people who are fans of the movies and familiar with many of the ones shot at the Ranch, because it takes you to all or almost all of the sites there. It would probably be boring for kids or someone not into movies because some of the sites are just a field or something basic like that. The tour was cool because it's only about 12 of you in a group, which allows more flexibility for stopping for photos, spending more time at places, asking questions. It's also in an air conditioned van and they provided snacks and drinks. The van also went through part of the jungle tour, and took us to the Indominous Rex pen from Jurassic World which was super cool. I believe it's their only tour that does that. They also had a TV in the van and would play a clip from the movie as they approached the site, which was nice for context.

We were there in September and at the time, they only offered this tour once a day at 9am. We had to check-in by 8:30, so we left Aulani at 6:45am and got there *right* on time due to rush hour traffic and an accident. So it was a long commute that day. We also stayed at the Ranch for lunch at the buffet which was great. We left after lunch, but would have had time for a second tour if we wanted. They offer combination packages if you do more than one.

Another vote for the VIP movie tour. It was a lot of fun for our group incl. 2 kids ages 5 & 6. the van was a Mercedes sprinter. Very comfortable seating.

I would love to do the ATV tour, but both of my kids are under 16. But I think we are going to do the Jurassic Jungle Tour and the Ocean Catamaran tour. Can you combine Kualoa Ranch with Manoa Falls on the way back to the resort in the afternoon? Trying to determine our driving route to get there and if this is a possibility.

I would love to do the ATV tour, but both of my kids are under 16. But I think we are going to do the Jurassic Jungle Tour and the Ocean Catamaran tour. Can you combine Kualoa Ranch with Manoa Falls on the way back to the resort in the afternoon? Trying to determine our driving route to get there and if this is a possibility.

Manoa Falls wouldn't really be on the way back to the resort because of the way you will likely be going. But it wouldn't be a terrible combination if you wanted to make it just a day out...

I agree with PP that Manoa Falls wouldn't be on the way back. You could make Waimea Valley on the way back to the resort if you went back through the North Shore. I'd also suggest Kailua for after Kualoa Ranch. We did this afterward (in my trip report) and it was only slightly out of the way, but so worth it. It was the nicest beach we visited during our whole trip!

We went in October 2015 and took the Jungle Tour and the 1 hour horseback tour. While we enjoyed both, we liked the jungle tour better. We had a great guide who pointed out various movie locations, as well as plants and fruits. He picked a guava off of a tree, cut it up, and passed it around for us to try. We were able to get out at the top for photo ops. Unfortunately it was very rainy there that day (the beginning of the wet season) so our views were limited. As for the horseback tour, it was my first time on a horse. I would've enjoyed it more had it not been raining. The trails seemed slick. The horses are so well trained that I just let mine pick out the path he wanted to take. I'd love to go back again on a non-rainy day. It is really a beautiful place. I also recommend a stop at the macadamia nut outlet that is nearby. YUM!

We took the Kualoa Premier Movie Sites tour in July 2016 with tour guide, Stephanie. We picked Sunday since the traffic would be very light driving from Ko Olina area to Kualoa

If you like Jurassic Park, you'll love this tour. You get to go inside the Indominus Rex Pen and see the scratch marks on the walls. You'll go into the observation area. You'll also see where the Gyrosphere ticket area was filmed. So many great photo ops too. Unlike the other tours, you'll get out of the air conditioned van and walk around these areas. If you're a LOST fan, you'll see the submarine and other areas.

Have a wonderful trip!

We did the multiple tours last July: Hollywood Movie Sites & Ranch Tour, Jungle Expedition Adventure, and the Ocean Voyage Tour. They were all great fun, we started with the Ocean Voyage Tour and they mentioned if you stood in the front of the boat you might get wet. That was an understatement, we got soaked and stayed wet for the rest of the day lol.
enhance

enhance

We did the multi-person ATV tour. While we did enjoy it, we were a little disappointed that we didn't see all the movie sites I thought we would (my bad for not researching this further). But, my kids (10, 14 and 15) had a blast. Tip--if you do an ATV tour, the dust flies around like crazy and you will be FILTHY!!! Bring a handkerchief/scarf to cover your mouth and washcloths to wipe down your face and any parts of your body exposed. It was really gross.

Kualoa ranch is beautiful.

DSC05777_zps81mycaaw.jpg

DSC05778_zpsfb94hy9s.jpg

DSC05780_zpsrq1x7bzw.jpg

DSC05781_zps235b0qlv.jpg

some photos from our premiere VIP movie tour.

here's the official site information. click on the video link which showcases the tour including footage of the interior of the van.
http://www.kualoa.com/oahu-tours/movie-sites-of-kualoa/

I Highly Recommend this tour!! price is expensive but so worth it for a visit like this. We had a few kids in tow and this was the best way to go for everyone esp with all the off road driving throughout the area. There were many points along the way we were thankful for the well cushioned bucket seats!

The van comfortably fit our group of 9 + a grandmother with her 2 tween grandsons = 12 altogether.
They supplied water, soda, candy and kettle popcorn and included a bathroom stop.

DSC05788_zpsxnn7vh5n.jpg

We toured the bunker in detail. it was nice to have the place to ourselves.

DSC05829_zpstnaehydj.jpg

DSC05834_zpspl4lnx7h.jpg

DSC05837_zpsafpso9qk.jpg

370223ce-d598-4577-b7e4-855d110dbac8_zps3gptsurz.jpg

DSC05843_zpscq7jeruq.jpg

DSC05856_zpszg7mh5i1.jpg

DSC05857_zpsf0rjrd4g.jpg

We saw the ATV tour go by. they didn't park here so I'm not sure if it included a visit inside.

DSC05867_zpsxgkazhgk.jpg

DSC05872_zpsdcgadp8c.jpg

DSC05864_zps16isfz5f.jpg

so cool to gain VIP access to the Indominus Rex pen and Gyrosphere Film locations for Jurassic World.

DSC05930_zpsvheyo6gp.jpg

DSC05933_zpsa7kdmmzb.jpg

this is the only tour that allows private access inside the building.

c8eb55b4-4a00-47e0-9b03-ffb5b1587f73_zps89cbiwmr.jpg

DSC05942_zps8ddmmccd.jpg

DSC05941_zpsubju4fiv.jpg

DSC05947_zpsjek0uald.jpg

4fddaa59-cf93-4d08-8944-8e84ac231936_zpsvapwoqq9.jpg

gyrosphere site had spectacular views

DSC05889_zps0snplewy.jpg

Since we are planning to do Jurassic Jungle and Catamaran tours, we would like to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon so we have time to eat lunch in between. Based on tour availability, it looks like we will have about 1 hour, 45 min - 2 hours or so between tours. Will we be bored waiting around for the next tour or is there enough to see (besides eating lunch) or do to kill that time?

Since we are planning to do Jurassic Jungle and Catamaran tours, we would like to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon so we have time to eat lunch in between. Based on tour availability, it looks like we will have about 1 hour, 45 min - 2 hours or so between tours. Will we be bored waiting around for the next tour or is there enough to see (besides eating lunch) or do to kill that time?

Not sure
I don't remember seeing that much to do beyond the perimeter of the ranch activities. (here we are approaching in up on the left)

DSC05776_zpsyxdqpvit.jpg

looking right as we arrived.

DSC05774_zpssvf5scjf.jpg

There's a gift shop and stables and open space with benches to sit and relax outside. There's also some history of the area posted around the outside of the visitors center. You may have some time to spare while you wait but it should pass quickly.

DSC05783_zpsm0wml9ca.jpg

DSC05784_zpsula2l2rj.jpg

DSC05785_zpstr6x8a3w.jpg

DSC05786_zps7cv6uefb.jpg

I do know they have a petting zoo that you can visit but we didn't do it. Maybe it is something your kids would enjoy between activities.

We did the Raptor tour (multi-person ATV) and it was one of my boys' (8 & 10) favorites from the entire trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter