• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

kodak easyshare/memory cards question

mickeysgirl17

Wish I was at Disney
I don't know if this is the right place to post this thread. If not, sorry. If I have a Kodak easyshare camera, which memory card do I use to get the most pictures for those of you who have this camera? I don't know which to buy. :sad2:

We also have a easy share and use a kodak card that holds about 65 pictures. We just got back from disney and never took that many pictures in a day even taking pictures of every float in the parades. (My husband thought this would be nice). I took our lap top and downloaded pictures every night when we got back to the room. This worked out great. Hope this helps.

Realistically it depends on how many pics you take.

Last year I took hundreds of pics at DLR. This year when I go to WDW and DCL (in 6 days!) I am taking 5 different SD cards. I have 1-2GB card, 3-1GB cards, and 1 256mb card.

Now this is MAJOR overkill and I doubt I will use them all, but I like to be ready just in case.

Also, I don't plan on emptying my cards each night.

One other thing that was suggested to me was to take several smaller cards, that way if something goes wrong with your card or you lose it, you aren't out ALL of your pics. One person suggested you have 1 card per day of your vacation.

But the bottom line is, are you constantly taking pics or more like my wife, taking them when you remember you have the camera? That should determine the size and number of cards you take.

You can get a SD memory card from www.newegg.com that will hold 1 GB of data for about $20. We used a card half that size (512 MB) in our Kodak Easyshare camera on our last trip and took (are you sitting down?) 700 pictures. It depends on what quality you set the resolution at. I think ours was on "better." The camera shows you how many pics you have left based on the card that's in it.

Lots of pics were taked by DD while waiting on lines, as an amusement, and then we deleted them to make room for more desireable ones. It kept her happy taking closeups of my nose, etc.

I've heard the theory about the multiple cards, but I think I'd be more likely to misplace one card and have a missing day of our vacation!

I took two 1GB cards on my last vacation, one for photos and one for video. I believe you get 30 minutes of video with one card and pictures depends on what settings you have. This was plenty for me.

What kind of setting should I keep my camera on? I didn't know it had different settings. I'm probably going to go crazy taking pics. I won't be surprised if I have over a thousand by the time I get home. (We're going for 9 days in December). I just don't want to run out of space on my memory card so I want to make sure I get a card that can hold more than enough. :)

HappyCamperToo said:
You can get a SD memory card from www.newegg.com that will hold 1 GB of data for about $20. We used a card half that size (512 MB) in our Kodak Easyshare camera on our last trip and took (are you sitting down?) 700 pictures. It depends on what quality you set the resolution at. I think ours was on "better." The camera shows you how many pics you have left based on the card that's in it.

I have a 512 MB SD card and at Gettysburg I was able to take over 750 pictures, with the setting at BEST (3:2). This is the second highest setting on my camera. My sister and I brought a laptop with us and had our camera cord so we just downloaded the pictures at the end of each day, burned them onto CDs as a backup copy then deleted them from the card so that we could start all over the next day. When we got home I transfered them all to our main desktop computer. This worked really well and allowed us to take over a total of 2300 pictures in 6 days with only one camera and one card. Its funny because my best friend went to China for 2 weeks and only took like 200 and I think I took over 200 in like an hour. My card is a Lexar SD card that I got at Office Max. I had gotten a really good deal on it. I never thought to look there, but had looked on the Internet and found a good deal then went to the store and got a better deal. So make sure you shop around because you may be able to find a really good deal.

I carry two 256 MB cards and it's more than enough for our vacations, plus birthdays, plus recitals, and "life". I like two just in case something happens - at least I would have half of the pics from the trip - lol! I have never touched the quality of the pic on my camera since it's original settings so I assume it's still of pretty good quality.

you can check kodaks website for your model camera to see how big of a card it will accept (512mb, 1gb or 2gb). Mine only takes up to 1gb, I have used Kodak, Sandisk and Kingston. No problems with any, all 1gb.
right now, buy.com has a kingston 1gb memory card for 20.95 if you go through google checkout and then they have a 13 rebate, so it will cost 7.95 for a gb card. Great deal!!!

mickeysgirl17 said:
What kind of setting should I keep my camera on? I didn't know it had different settings. I'm probably going to go crazy taking pics. I won't be surprised if I have over a thousand by the time I get home. (We're going for 9 days in December). I just don't want to run out of space on my memory card so I want to make sure I get a card that can hold more than enough. :)

SD is the kind of card that Kodak uses.

You can buy 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and larger.

I recommend you buy at least 3 (or more) new cards either 512MB or 1GB and you can take all the pix you want.

I like the www.newegg.com suggestion.
A 1GB card for about $20 is a great bargain, and can hold a lot (a LOT!) of pix.

Leave the camera at its highest-quality setting, so you'll get the best looking pix.

The SD cards are so inexpensive that you should just buy plenty and keep shooting.

I would not pay Disney to load your card to a CD.
The Cost is ridiculously high compared to just taking another SD card with you.

Wow, thanks everybody. I just messed around with my camera and when I put it on the (1.1) setting, It shows me I have 957 pics left. I think I have a 256 MB card in there right now, but I'm not sure. Cool. Is the quality good with 1.1 setting?

I would not recommend using the 1.1 setting. Even at 4 x 6 sizes, you will probably have lots of graininess.

I always leave mine at the highest setting because you never know when you are going to take a photo (or several ;) ) that will be worth enlarging.

Or if you find out that you want to crop the photo, if you are at the 1.1 setting you will get tons of graininess after cropping.

Like a poster said above, with the low cost of SD cards these days, it's a much better idea to leave it at the highest setting. Or the second highest at the absolute least.

The beauty of digital photography is being able to see immediately if the photo is a 'keeper'. I would come back to my room each night and delete that obviously bad photos in order to keep a decent amount of space on my card.

On our last trip, we took a 256mb card, kept the camera at the highest setting and didn't even fill the card. Came close, but we didn't. And being a photographer, I tend to be SUPER duper shutter crazy. I take photos of everything :)

I think I'm going to buy 2 1GB memory cards. That should be more than enough and I found them for $20 each!

One other note to enhance the use of your camera is the choice of batteries. The use of rechargables is common, but you'll get the best results in your Kodak Easy Share with Energizer2 Lithium disposables. you should get well in excess of 600 shots from a pair of AA's. And avoid the use of alkaline entirely in digital cameras.

There's an article on the subject in this months Consumer reports magazine:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...atteries-11-06/overview/1106_batteries_ov.htm

:confused3 we took 800 pictures but our camera was stolen and we lost 3 memory cards, we only lost pictures from our last day --we had taken the cards to WalGreens and had them loaded onto disc the day before. :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter