Kirkland flea & tick vs frontline?

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
Has anyone ever used the Kirkland brand on their dogs or heard anything bad? Kirkland brand is $19.99 front line is $69.99 big difference.

$69 for how many?? I get Frontline at 800petmeds for $35 for 3, I got a 10% off email. Our local grocery had 3 for $32 and the pet store matched their price the last time I got it.

Costco also has Frontline for $38.99 for a three pack (at least in my local Costco). Not sure on the Kirkland brand - I'm curious if it would be a good alternative so I hope someone here has the answer...

Frontline Plus didn't work on my aussies. I called about their guarantee and was told that they must be getting reinfested and that the Frontline is still working but they will still have fleas. I hate that I wasted my money.

$69 for how many?? I get Frontline at 800petmeds for $35 for 3, I got a 10% off email. Our local grocery had 3 for $32 and the pet store matched their price the last time I got it.

How does ordering this kind of stuff online work? Do they have to call your vet and get a copy of their records or something?

How does ordering this kind of stuff online work? Do they have to call your vet and get a copy of their records or something?

Yes, this exactly, and if your dog hasn't been seen recently your vet won't approve it. If it's not approved it won't ship.

I have no information on the Kirkland brand of product, I don't use the store brands and only buy from my vet or my BFF who is a vet tech. :)

Our Costco in ny has both frontline and their own brand flea and tick they both have 6 applications (months) per box. No prescription is needed for either product.

They should have hand out pamphlets by the product, with comparison information. I will get it and post it tomorrow night if no one has by then.

I have used Biospot, Advantage, Frontine, and Frontline Plus..be careful about Biospot or medications that do not use the same main ingredient as Frontline as my friend's cat diet from Biospot (neurotoxic). That being said, the Kirkland version is likely the same. I would call your vet to avoid what the poster with the Aussie had happen (still Fleas) as some areas the fleas are now immune. A very good friend in San Diego had to use Program tablets (which are oral) in conjunction with topical meds as the fleas are now immune in her area.

Has anyone ever used the Kirkland brand on their dogs or heard anything bad? Kirkland brand is $19.99 front line is $69.99 big difference.

I would make sure it is the same many OC stuff is junk.

Frontline Plus didn't work on my aussies. I called about their guarantee and was told that they must be getting reinfested and that the Frontline is still working but they will still have fleas. I hate that I wasted my money.

Yes Frontline doesn't work around here either. Since Frontline is one of the oldest products and widely use in areas fleas have become immune to it.

If you order flea prevention online you do not need any thing from your vet. Just like you can go to the store and buy it without anything is the same. The only things is you have to be very careful were you order it from because there are many fakes, and not approved products floating around so avoid Amazon.com sellers, ebay, and any other website that is not big. 1800petmeds is reputable. Now if you are ordering prescription medicine for heartworm or otherwise then yes the vet will have to fax the prescription or you will have to mail it.

Yes, this exactly, and if your dog hasn't been seen recently your vet won't approve it. If it's not approved it won't ship.

I have no information on the Kirkland brand of product, I don't use the store brands and only buy from my vet or my BFF who is a vet tech. :)

This is not accurate info see above.

Yes Frontline doesn't work around here either. Since Frontline is one of the oldest products and widely use in areas fleas have become immune to it.

If you order flea prevention online you do not need any thing from your vet. Just like you can go to the store and buy it without anything is the same. The only things is you have to be very careful were you order it from because there are many fakes, and not approved products floating around so avoid Amazon.com sellers, ebay, and any other website that is not big. 1800petmeds is reputable. Now if you are ordering prescription medicine for heartworm or otherwise then yes the vet will have to fax the prescription or you will have to mail it.

I guess I should have been more specific because what I posted IS correct. If you're ordering anything for heartworm (which is what we give our dog) it will have to be approved by your vet. Our order would not ship until we took the dog to the vet and when we did that the vet said they would price match for us so we just got it from the vet. This was Revolution which is for heartworm as well as fleas. We now use Trifexis which would also require a prescription.
Sorry if my previous post was too "general". :)

I'm planning on taking a look next time I'm there, we only have 1 month left of the Frontline on hand. Costco tended to be about $7-$10 cheaper than any local stores, but $19.99 is much better than $38.99. As long as the generic is just as effective, I'm all for it. It can be really hit or miss whether or not they have the dose/size of Frontline we need in stock, so I've been buying multiple boxes when I'm lucky enough to find it. Between the heartguard, the frontline, and the zyrtec, plus the stuff for their ears, my dogs take more meds than anyone else in the family. Free puppies are definitely not free when they grow up. :lmao:

There seems to be a lot of confusing information above.

First most medications kill ticks and fleas. A few repel ticks.

I Highly doubt that Frontline Plus doesn't work on ticks. If your Aussie has fleas its not because of Frontline. Frontline only kills the fleas after she is bit. Most likely your house and yard are infested and she will keep getting fleas, even if she is treated, other dogs and rodents can maintain a flea population which will jump on your Aussie. if you doubt this is true, find someone who doesn't have fleas, let them take your dog for a day, the fleas on your Aussie will die and your Aussie will be free of fleas..

Prescription.....

Frontline/Frontline plus and the Kirkland product do not require a prescription. Thus you can buy online or in a store with out seeing a vet. There are many meds that require a prescription and there are some small online stores that sell meds illegally with out prescription.. You are not required to buy meds from your vet, they know this. They absolutely will call in a prescription or write you one. Many vets will match online prices, so ask.

Frontline (Fipronil) is out of patent and thus you will see more and more "generic" Fipronil on the market.

Fronline Plus is the same Fipronil PLUS an insect growth regulator "(S)-methoprene". the insect growth regulators help kill flea eggs and larva. Again you will see generic versions of Fronline Plus on the market. So the plus helps kill flea eggs and larva.

Fipronil takes about a day to work many say 18 hours.

Kirkland active ingredients are
Etofenprox 30%
(S)-methoprene 3.6%
Piperonyl Butoxide 5%

Its appears to be the exact ingredients in bio spot defense.

Etofenprox is a Pyrethroids that starts to kill insects in about 15 minutes.

Pyrethroids are much more effective against ticks. I use permethrin (the ingrediant in k9 advantex2) on my pants to keep ticks getting on me.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Etofenprox on cats and puppies and around babies. I'll let the experts figure that out.

I live in Shelby County, TN. my dogs play in tall grass all day, frontline does kill the ticks eventually. I tend to pull about 10 ticks off them a night and frontline takes care of the rest. I often see the dead ticks in their fur. Every once in a while I still find living ticks feeding on my dogs.. I obviously remove them right away.

Around here no med works 100% on ticks.

I picked up a box of flea and tick and will try them on my dogs soon. They just got their Frontline plus about 10 days ago. I am hoping they don't have any ill reactions and if I think about it I will return and share my results. :dance3:

LOL again a ton of bad information.. lol..

Lets look at the problem of fleas. Fleas start as eggs grow to larva/pupae. larva/pupae eat anything organinc make a cocoon and become adults adults who seek blood, and reproduce till they die.

Now lets look at Frontline (top spot). This has Fipronil which kills adult fleas AFTER they bite. It should be noted that adult fleas make up about 5% of the flea population.. So for every flea that can be seen there are 20 eggs or larve/pupae you can't see.

Frontline Plus has a IGR in it that kill larva/pupae and eggs that are on the treated dog.

Adult fleas have about a week to find food to survive.. After that it is believed they can go up to a year with out a meal. A female lays about 500 eggs in a life. and in a little over a month her kids can start laying eggs.

From every study I have read a proper dosage of Fipronil is still 100% effective.

So why do people say "Frontline don't work around here".. Around here. WELL.. Most of you already figured it out.. but I will go on.

Around here typically refers to anyplace with 70+ humidity and 70+ temperature. Larva and eggs quickly die in dry climates. So if you live in denver where the air is dry and its cool much of the year, Frontline works fine.. Your dog gets a flea from the neighbors house, it lays some eggs, bites your dog, and dies. They eggs or larva die from the dry or cooler climate. now fipronil takes longer to work then some other flea treatments, but it still kills the flea and the flea doesn't reproduce.

Now I live in the hot moist south.. my dogs are outside all day, they are at the park 5+days a week.. Surely fleas jump aboard and come home.. I give my dogs frontline plus The plus helps kill the eggs and larva, my dogs never once had an issue with fleas.

This is because my house/yard is not infested with fleas. The difference between the medications is how fast the flea dies and falls off. If Fipronil takes 18 hours and 20 fleas are on your dog, they may have alread bitten your dog and just wandering around to die. Heck they move fast if they hadn't bit your dog, you most likely would not see them.

That one flea came from somewhere.. your carpet, your back yards, somewhere.. If you switch products that kill fleas in 15-20 minutes, they die and fall off. the same amount of fleas jump on your dog, the same amount of fleas bite your dog, but it works because they die and fall off faster.

I mention this because if "fronline or fronline plus" aren't working for you, its because your house/yard is the source. Maybe you live out the country where infected rabbits are keeping the breeding population alive. Maybe you have mice and rats running around. Maybe its the dogs next door that are feeding adult fleas so they lay eggs... IDK.

The reason why this matters if you aren't treating yourself are you, honestly if your dogs have fleas some of them get on you, some of them bite you, some of them lay eggs. So actually, if your dog was on fronline and still has fleas, its possible you are giving them to your dog. Some people have little or no reaction to flea bites some just sit there scratching their head.. lol Fleas like hair after all. My recommendation is start buying the "Junk" as you call it and save up to treat the source of your problem. Treat your house, treat your yard, kill the mice and rats, talk to your neighbor, figure out the source and treat it.. Treat it all at once.

And this advice also goes to you all, if you have a friend that says "frontline" doesn't work for me, its because their house, apartment, yard or what ever is infested. Might not want them watching your dog or even going to their house for dinner... lol

And yes i have read over 20 studies on the subject..:grouphug:

Be very careful of the cheap flea meds. My cat had a severe allergic reaction to one of the Sargent's products, upon research we found this was quite common. I had figured if it was for sale in stores it was safe and tested...WRONG!!!

I guess I should have been more specific because what I posted IS correct. If you're ordering anything for heartworm (which is what we give our dog) it will have to be approved by your vet. Our order would not ship until we took the dog to the vet and when we did that the vet said they would price match for us so we just got it from the vet. This was Revolution which is for heartworm as well as fleas. We now use Trifexis which would also require a prescription.

It is not that it has to be approved. Is that they need a prescription.

LOL again a ton of bad information.. lol..

Lets look at the problem of fleas. Fleas start as eggs grow to larva/pupae. larva/pupae eat anything organinc make a cocoon and become adults adults who seek blood, and reproduce till they die.

Now lets look at Frontline (top spot). This has Fipronil which kills adult fleas AFTER they bite. It should be noted that adult fleas make up about 5% of the flea population.. So for every flea that can be seen there are 20 eggs or larve/pupae you can't see.

Frontline Plus has a IGR in it that kill larva/pupae and eggs that are on the treated dog.

Adult fleas have about a week to find food to survive.. After that it is believed they can go up to a year with out a meal. A female lays about 500 eggs in a life. and in a little over a month her kids can start laying eggs.

From every study I have read a proper dosage of Fipronil is still 100% effective.

So why do people say "Frontline don't work around here".. Around here. WELL.. Most of you already figured it out.. but I will go on.

Around here typically refers to anyplace with 70+ humidity and 70+ temperature. Larva and eggs quickly die in dry climates. So if you live in denver where the air is dry and its cool much of the year, Frontline works fine.. Your dog gets a flea from the neighbors house, it lays some eggs, bites your dog, and dies. They eggs or larva die from the dry or cooler climate. now fipronil takes longer to work then some other flea treatments, but it still kills the flea and the flea doesn't reproduce.

Now I live in the hot moist south.. my dogs are outside all day, they are at the park 5+days a week.. Surely fleas jump aboard and come home.. I give my dogs frontline plus The plus helps kill the eggs and larva, my dogs never once had an issue with fleas.

This is because my house/yard is not infested with fleas. The difference between the medications is how fast the flea dies and falls off. If Fipronil takes 18 hours and 20 fleas are on your dog, they may have alread bitten your dog and just wandering around to die. Heck they move fast if they hadn't bit your dog, you most likely would not see them.

That one flea came from somewhere.. your carpet, your back yards, somewhere.. If you switch products that kill fleas in 15-20 minutes, they die and fall off. the same amount of fleas jump on your dog, the same amount of fleas bite your dog, but it works because they die and fall off faster.

I mention this because if "fronline or fronline plus" aren't working for you, its because your house/yard is the source. Maybe you live out the country where infected rabbits are keeping the breeding population alive. Maybe you have mice and rats running around. Maybe its the dogs next door that are feeding adult fleas so they lay eggs... IDK.

The reason why this matters if you aren't treating yourself are you, honestly if your dogs have fleas some of them get on you, some of them bite you, some of them lay eggs. So actually, if your dog was on fronline and still has fleas, its possible you are giving them to your dog. Some people have little or no reaction to flea bites some just sit there scratching their head.. lol Fleas like hair after all. My recommendation is start buying the "Junk" as you call it and save up to treat the source of your problem. Treat your house, treat your yard, kill the mice and rats, talk to your neighbor, figure out the source and treat it.. Treat it all at once.

And this advice also goes to you all, if you have a friend that says "frontline" doesn't work for me, its because their house, apartment, yard or what ever is infested. Might not want them watching your dog or even going to their house for dinner... lol

And yes i have read over 20 studies on the subject..:grouphug:

http://www.vet.com/dog_flea_meds/frontline_plus.html OP just read some of the above is not accurate. I have talked to my vet about it we lived in Colorado in dry climate and the vet still didn't recommend frontline. Frontline is supposed to work before the flea bites. No vet will recommend you buy the junk that is sold in store Hartz pet product. We live in a rural area where there is ton of rabbits, we rescue dog invested in fleas an we never had a flea problem not in our dogs, not in our house, not in our cats. My best friend dog is extremely allergic to flea bites and her dog is in our house 2 times a week and she never gotten a reaction here. Not because there are not fleas out there but because our pets are treated for it with the right products. OP please consult with your vet what he will recommend for the area. But from what it seems the kirkland brand has in it I will stay away from it.

It is not that it has to be approved. Is that they need a prescription.

Yes, the prescription needs to be approved by your vet......why are you being so picky about what I'm saying when I'm saying exactly what you're saying? lol

Yes, the prescription needs to be approved by your vet......why are you being so picky about what I'm saying when I'm saying exactly what you're saying? lol

It is just the way you put it can get really confusing for someone that haven't order online before. For example only the vet office could fax in the prescription they did do not take faxes from individuals. Some vets will not fax the prescription in that case you have to ask for it and mail it yourself. And if they don't get the prescription by a certain dated hey will cancel the order. I just wanted make sure people understood this since heart worm prevention is very important. Do not take it personal it didn't meant to be. :hug:

It is just the way you put it can get really confusing for someone that haven't order online before. For example only the vet office could fax in the prescription they did do not take faxes from individuals. Some vets will not fax the prescription in that case you have to ask for it and mail it yourself. And if they don't get the prescription by a certain dated hey will cancel the order. I just wanted make sure people understood this since heart worm prevention is very important. Do not take it personal it didn't meant to be. :hug:

Really? I'm not confused at all by what I posted. Sorry if you didn't understand but you're the only who seems to have been confused. :confused3

Where I am the vet office doesn't approve the prescription unless it has been requested and vet offices here do not give out copies of prescriptions to individuals. (apparently people were using their pets prescriptions to get meds for themselves :confused3 ) If you want a script filled outside of the vet office they require a faxed or emailed request from the company you want to fill it.
IE, if I order from 1800petmeds, 1800petmeds has to send a request to my vet for approval (of the prescription), if I want another vet office to fill the script then that vet office has to send a request to my vet for approval. If our dog hasn't been seen in the past 12 months our vet will not approve the prescription request. We did only try it the one time tho, after that our vet just matched the price for us and now we get the dogs meds from my friends who work at the clinic, not that the dog doesn't have regular appointments for checkups but I'm trying to support where my friends work so I buy from their clinic instead. :) And when I transferred the prescription over my friend had to fax my regular vet for approval. :)

Really? I'm not confused at all by what I posted. Sorry if you didn't understand but you're the only who seems to have been confused. :confused3

Where I am the vet office doesn't approve the prescription unless it has been requested and vet offices here do not give out copies of prescriptions to individuals. (apparently people were using their pets prescriptions to get meds for themselves :confused3 ) If you want a script filled outside of the vet office they require a faxed or emailed request from the company you want to fill it.
IE, if I order from 1800petmeds, 1800petmeds has to send a request to my vet for approval (of the prescription), if I want another vet office to fill the script then that vet office has to send a request to my vet for approval. If our dog hasn't been seen in the past 12 months our vet will not approve the prescription request. We did only try it the one time tho, after that our vet just matched the price for us and now we get the dogs meds from my friends who work at the clinic, not that the dog doesn't have regular appointments for checkups but I'm trying to support where my friends work so I buy from their clinic instead. :) And when I transferred the prescription over my friend had to fax my regular vet for approval. :)

Shocking that you are not confused...maybe if you answered the original question you wouldn't be confused.......with all due respect, lose the snark.

The original question was about flea and tick...NOT heartworm...sure there are some medicines such as revolution (still primarily heartworm as our vet still recommends frontline concurrently) that are combined but that was not the basis of the original question...Costco brand flea/tick OR Frontline was. You did confuse and muddy the issue based on what you wrote. So sure..in your mind you are not confused:rotfl2:. You then jumped in clarifying you meant heartworm w/ the flea add-on which is all well and good but wasn't specific to the actual question. So to clarify for you and everyone...If you want heartworm (with or without the flea component), you will need a prescription from the vet. As an aside, most vets here in NC will give you a presciption if asked in order to get your medication from other sources such as PetMeds.

If you want plain ol' flea and tick which was the basis of the original question and the basis by which everyone is responding, you do NOT need a presecription. I'm not making a judgement on which is better (frontline or Costo brand) but felt moved to respond to this individual for flaming someone for their "confusion" when in fact they are the one's who confused the darn issue at the beginning. Get a grip. Flea/Tick discussion...NOT heartworm...great...moving on. I'm looking forward to the gem response this person will now provide:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter