Kids Learning about the World Showcase Countries

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
Suddenly, I discovered that we only have 10 weeks until our trip. So I got right on to a little "program" I like to do with my kids before we go to WDW. (last time was 9 yrs ago.)
Starting 10 weeks before we leave, once/week one of the foreign countries of the World Showcase is chosen and we learn as much as we can about that country. I go to the library and get age-appropriate books and Videos (if they have them, but I usually have to get these sent in from other branches to my local branch). We learn stuff like where the country is on the globe, native dress, music and foods, geography, points of interest, some history, and a few words in the language.(a while back, someone posted how to say "hello" in each language and I copied it, so we will use that). I also will read a children's book/story based in the country, like "Hansel and Gretel" for Germany and "Tikki Tikki Tembo" and "Ping" for China. If possible, I try to make a dinner using foods/recipes native to that country. Nothing exotic, for ex. this week we are studying Germany and tomorrow I'm making "Schnitzel" (breaded chicken cutlet) and German Potato Salad.
This can be a great learning experience for children of all ages (mine are 2-14) and it really helps them appreciate and enjoy the WS more when we are there.

[PS- I know there are 11 countries in the WS but like I said I "suddenly" discovered we have only 10 weeks, so I decided to skip the US bc. they get SO MUCH learning about our own country in school, while the foreign studies are really just covered lightly and not until the higher grades.]

Wow! What an amazing idea! Your children must really enjoy this. You have inspired me to start thinking about ways I can introduce my 2 year old to the different countries in Epcot. My mind is racing..... Can you share some specific examples of activities that you have your 2 year old do? This is such a fun idea! Thank you!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Well, of course, the younger the child the more creative you have to be. 2 yo DD will sit next to me as I read the books I got from the early readers section of the library. She enjoys the pictures and takes in what is being said, although I'm not sure she grasps the concept of "another country, far away". [funny story to illustrate this: My parents vacation on a lake in Ontario every year. The year my son was 4 we drove past a small retention pond behind our local shopping center and he said, "See that? That's Canada. That's where grandmom and grandpop are!"] If you can get a hold of some music native to the country (the foreign music audio cassettes in music shops are usually dirt cheap) I'm sure your 2 yo will love to dance around to it. Since younger children are not as tied to their native tounge, my DD picks up and pronounces the German words (they're in the back of the book, that helps me!) we are learning even better than the older ones. I think she will appreciate the fairy tales/stories we read based in the country of the week. I'm doing the factual information first and then doing the stories bc. I think she will retain more that way instead of doing it vice-versa. I haven't shown the video yet, but I'm sure she'll watch it. Sometimes in the back of the books they have activities you can do with your children, like make a pinata (Mexico) or playing a game native to Germany called "Kegelin". Doing these things every day, over the course of a week for each country is key to the younger child grasping the concept. I plan on reinforcing things we've learned as we actually tour the countries in the WS.
It's funny to see the results of this knowledge. After our last trip my 5 yo astounded friends visiting by exclaiming, "Look mom, the colliseum!" when a clip from Italy appeared on the TV.
It gets easier as they get older. My 14 yo is homeschooled and I have created a page on the computer with facts/info. I want him to gather by doing his own research on each country.

You have inspired me!!! What great ideas! I will have to try this with my 4 before our trip next March. Right now we are talking about the Smoky Mountains in preparation for our upcoming trip. I told my kids the other day that all of our trips will contain some fun and some learning from now on. You should have seen the look my oldest DD ( age 12) gave me. LOL. Next summer... Colonial Williamsburg!

What a great idea! Next time we go, I will have to do this! My son loved WS at Epcot.

Thanks for sharing...I love this! :) :)

I homeschooled Erich for kindergarten and we did countries during the Olympics that year.We had dinners to go along with what country we were doing that week.Erich is really into science and nature so he found animals from whatever country we were studying...oh and of course a Disney character from there too!!

We have only just begun!:D Wow! I went to the library today and checked out books about the different countries for kids. Plus, I got a CD called National Anthems of the World that my kids can listen to while marching (and crawling) with the flags that they will make. We also got a recipe book for kids called Kids Around the World Cook! The Best Foods and Recipes from Many Lands by Arlette Braman. The book is really fun with easy recipes and lots of good information.

The teacher in me is jumping up and down for joy!:Pinkbounc I can't wait to plan their "lessons". Maybe we should start a new forum about Disney as a fun AND an educational experience.... Hmmmm........... A place where we can share ideas????

Have a great week everyone!:D

I have also been trying to figure out how to get the most out of the World Showcase for my two DS 6 and 7.

I thought maybe we could ask a CM in each country (i.e. at the Kidcot stations) a question - the same question for each country - to compare the differences. Anyone have any GREAT ideas for a question that would have different and terrific responses from each of the countries?

Favorite food, holiday, ...

Thanks for your help!

Mary

Looks like our countdown timers all look about the same!

We're staying at the WL from 9/23 - 9/30. Watch for the lime green mickey head on the backpack and say "hello".

Mary

We will leave NJ (driving) on the 26th but our first day in "the world" won't be until the 28th. We will be in EPCOT all day. I will be wearing a lime green ribbon pinned to my shirt. We are a family of 6 (Me, DH, DS14, DS11, DS6 and DD2.5) If you see us, don't be shy!

I will also be on the lookout for lime green ribbons, Mickeyheads, etc. Hope I meet somebody....it would be neat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter