• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata?

I'm very pleased with my Sonata. I did consider the Optima too.

I'm no car expert, but they seem very similar. I suppose I preferred the styling on the 2014 Sonata.

I have a 2013 Sonata. It has been great and is a very zippy car with a ton of pick up. The only thing I do not like about it is that the front passenger seat is VERY low and cannot be raised up like the drivers seat. I am 5'2 so when DH drives I have trouble seeing over the dashboard.

I'm on my second Sonata and haven't had any problems with either one. I think Hyundai owns Kia so I think the models are very similar. I don't like the headlights on the Optima which is an odd reason to not like a car but there you have it!

They're the same car, literally. So it's just a matter of what style you like, as they use different cosmetics such as headlights, grills, some interior trim, etc... But take that makeup off and they're identical twins. Hyundai is the parent company of Kia.

They're both great cars, very competitive in that category. Reliable, good value, loaded with features. I personally like the Optima styling better, but that's subjective.

Believe that is for some of the older models

It's for the previous generation car, specifically the 4cyl if I recall (pardon the pun). They recalled all of them to be checked, but the actually issue effected a relatively small number of the cars. It also may or may not have to do with owners not keeping them full of oil and/or changing the oil timely. It certainly isn't a good look to have to recall that many cars, but it's not an overly big issue, to me. All manufacturers run into big snags...Honda has had it, Toyota, etc... The "domestics" have them as often as the sun rises, so it's all relative. The Hyundai/Kia are still very, very solid cars from a reliability standpoint. Right up there with other Asian companies and light years ahead of European or domestics.

My wife says go for the Sonata. She's had a 2011 Sonata Limited for 6+ years now and approaching 100,000 miles and still loves it. She liked the interior better than the Kia.

Oh, well, I'm too late. But last year I was in a real conundrum over both of these cars. I prefer the look of the Optima. I already have an Elantra and don't like how "low" it is. I had previously driven a Sonata (years ago) and didn't care for it. Well after two test drives on both cars, I had to give a nudge to the Sonata just in the way the seat felt to me. That was it. It was really hard to pick. In the end, I ended up buying neither car because my plans changed.

I went with Kia Forte just a few weeks ago.
I absolutely love it. The sedan has tons of back seat space. My daughter is 14 and I also figured would be a great car to give her. Options are fantastic and drives great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter