• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kevin and the teams frequent mention of PUBLIX

Wegmans is the king of the grocery markets. PUBLIX and Trader Joe's can fight it out for number 2.

PUBLIX and Trader Joe's can fight it out for number 2.
No contest there. Publix wins that fight easily. Trader Joe's is a specialty shop, not a general supermarket. There's no way we would ever even think about doing our weekly shopping there. They don't have any selection at all. Unless we want to eat a much more limited and repetitive diet, Trader Joe's is a place we'd only go looking for a specific item or two.

I tried the fried chicken when I was down there in April.....it is by far the best fried chicken I've ever had. Wish they had that store in Virginia.
With all this talk, I'm craving fried chicken now, dangnabbit! :rotfl:

If you combine stop and shop with whole foods but keep it at stop and shop prices you have publix..... It's a really nice store and the dominate supermarket of the area.. It does make disney look bad though, their staff is more cheery and helpful than any cast member... It's very different than shopping in the northeast

edit to add: they weren't kidding about best fried chicken in the area.

Another plus for Publix (at least for locals that shop there regularly) is their BOGO specials every week. Val & i peruse their new flyer every Thursday for BOGO's and stock up on things we use regularly when they go on sale. That's obviously not a factor for those that are just visiting though.

They also have Blue Bell and "Real Sugar" Dr Pepper!!

Where are they building the new Publix? The two in Cary have opened already, but I'd love if there were one closer than 25 mins from our house.

Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and Walmart all have bakeries. They're nothing special, but typical of any grocery store that I've visited.

Love your avatar, GrumpyDad! Made me LOL!

Thank you... I'm in Wilmington. They have been creeping north from Myrtle Beach and east from Cary.

I can't think of any major supermarket anywhere near here that doesn't have an in-store bakery. I mean places like Aldi and Trader Joe's don't but I don't consider them full-service stores. You're going to love Publix.

The grocery stores here pretty much defrost everything and put it in a wrapper. I can't wait...

I think Wegmans offers some great quality food

It's the only place in jersey where I can get AA grade eggs or Prime Beef

Does Publix have sampling stations ?

I think Wegmans offers some great quality food

It's the only place in jersey where I can get AA grade eggs or Prime Beef

Does Publix have sampling stations ?
I know my friend goes to either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (can't remember which one) to "eat dinner" at all the sampling stations. LOL. I've never been to either, but people rave about them. I also know devotees of King's, and A&P's. A few that love Stop 'n Shop, or Fairway. Most just go to Shop Rite because they have to (like me).

The Publix I go to in Tallahassee has an area where you can try a Apron Recipe. I have several recipes from Publix which I have used to make Dinner.

Another Publix in my area does have the cooking classes. I have gone around Cosco sampling. They have some good things.

I disagree with this completely.

I think Publix is great.

If you are shopping at any of the Publix near Disney, they cater to tourists and are very different than the neighborhood stores.
I have to agree with Kevin. Publix is always our first stop when we pick up the rental car. The deli and fried chicken are outstanding and their prices are VERY reasonable compared to Disney or Goodings. The bakery items are also very good. The staff is always friendly and they get a high rating as a good company to work for. To us, it's not a Disney vacation until we stop at Publix. :)

We have Whole Foods and Fresh Market and while I love them (especially Fresh Market) I can't afford to do my regular shopping there.

I go there for things I can't find elsewhere.
I'm also a fan of Fresh Market in my area. Their desserts are even better than Publix's. Love those Napoleons!! :) We also have a Whole Foods nearby, but their prices make me an infrequent shopper there.

I live in NC. We have Harris Teeter, Kroger, Lowe's Food, Food Lion, IGA, Piggly Wiggly, and specialty stores like Fresh Market, Whole Foods. Also Farmers' markets every where you turn. Publix has just moved into the area, and people are going nuts over it. I have yet to go, but am very curious. Still haven't found a chain that I like enough to go every week, but maybe Publix will be it for me?

I remember Piggly Wiggly - I called it Piggle Wiggle.

Our Publix has great fried chicken and I like their salads.
The bakery hasn't been as good since they remodeled and the old staff left - the new folks just don't do as well, the last birthday cake I bought there was horrible - dry and tasteless and the frosting taste was off. I was very disappointed.

I have to say the Shop Rite bakery near me makes some very good cakes - I pick up cakes for several birthdays and functions every year, and people are always (pleasantly) surprised to hear they came from SR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter