KENTUCKY DERBY

A question about the Oaks..the day before (don't mean to hijack the thread OP)...crowd wise-manageable or horrible? We are from Indy and would drive down just for that day.
Oaks is pretty busy - not like Derby, but very crowded. We always go to the infield on Oaks, so I can't comment on how crowded the grandstand areas are. The business of the infield is directly related to the weather. If it is great weather it will be wall-to-wall people, but if it isn't as great the infield doesn't get too crowded.

Oaks is pretty busy - not like Derby, but very crowded. We always go to the infield on Oaks, so I can't comment on how crowded the grandstand areas are. The business of the infield is directly related to the weather. If it is great weather it will be wall-to-wall people, but if it isn't as great the infield doesn't get too crowded.

Oaks is very busy as well. It's not as bad as Derby.. but it is still crowded and tickets are expensive. We've started going on The Thursday before Derby. They are calling it "Thurby" and it's meant to be a day for the locals (like Oaks used to be). People still get dressed up and the crowds are much more manageable. However if it's your first time going, I'd recommend the Oaks. Not as bad as Derby but you definitely get the feel for Churchill. Louisville is beautiful during Derby time...

I actually work at a hotel in Frankfort and the Derby weekend is crazy booked up for hotels in the area. Most of what is available at this point is going to be pretty pricey unless you are willing to do a fair amount of driving. There are a ton of events in the area for the Derby and it is a great time to visit Kentucky if you are a horse racing fan.

Where will you post this? I'd like to follow. Ditto about this field.
Yes, i'm another horse racing/Disney fan and would love to discuss the Derby. It will be a year for big exotcics that's for sure.
Went to the Derby once and said "never again,unless I have $ to sit in rich seats." Grandstand was a zoo, horrible lines for bathrooms/betting, most people there didn't know a racehorse from a donkey and were drunk by 1 p.m., and because I'm short, could only see the horses ears as they went by as everyone stood up. Breeders Cup is a much better live experience for racing fans.

Yes, i'm another horse racing/Disney fan and would love to discuss the Derby. It will be a year for big exotcics that's for sure.
Went to the Derby once and said "never again,unless I have $ to sit in rich seats." Grandstand was a zoo, horrible lines for bathrooms/betting, most people there didn't know a racehorse from a donkey and were drunk by 1 p.m., and because I'm short, could only see the horses ears as they went by as everyone stood up. Breeders Cup is a much better live experience for racing fans.

OMG this soo bothers the heck out of me too!

Yeah, I went once. I thought I paid a lot for my grandstand seats. Turns out I needed to shell out a lot more to view the races in anything like comfort. Almost got run over by a stampede of muddy infielders flooding out through the tunnels. I've done a couple Breeders' Cups, and I've been to the Belmont a bunch of times - all were better fan experiences than the Derby. The Oaks was fun, though.

I've been to the Derby (too crowded) and preferred the Oaks. Better yet, go to Keeneland...especially if you can buddy up to a club member.

Yeah, I went once. I thought I paid a lot for my grandstand seats. Turns out I needed to shell out a lot more to view the races in anything like comfort. Almost got run over by a stampede of muddy infielders flooding out through the tunnels. I've done a couple Breeders' Cups, and I've been to the Belmont a bunch of times - all were better fan experiences than the Derby. The Oaks was fun, though.

I forgot about the swarm of muddy infielders! Ugh!! I've been to two BC at CD (including Zenyatta's last race) and both were so much better than the Derby. Preakness was also a good experience, although we went year Oxbow won and the weather was horrid. Usually make an annual trek to Saratoga, last year it was Del Mar...I'll save my $ for these summer trips instead. That said, I don't regret going to the Derby. Every racing fan should go once!

I'm with you on not going unless I shell out for under cover box seats or better. I just have no interest in paying so much money to get rained on or corralled with the general crowd. Until then I just do a party at home and go on Thurby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter