Kennedy Space Center

lisajl

DIS Veteran
Well, my Dh has decided to go outside WDW!! Can you believe the nerve of him?

We are going to take a day to see Kennedy Space Center.

How long does it take to go through there? Our boys are 11 and 8, will they enjoy it or is it more adult?
The like science and are interested in space, but are not "crazy" about it.

Lisa

It is about an hour from WDW. If you are driving yourselves, remember there are tolls, two I think.

Yes, everyone should have a lot of fun. There are al sorts of displays and exhibits. When we went this past July, we had purchased our tickets online prior to leaving home and we were glad we did. The tour part was almost sold out when we arrived in the morning. The only opening were for the last two tours, around 6:00 pm and it was only 10:00ish. I don't recall the website but do a google search and it is easy enough to find.

Enjoy yourselves, we did.

Did the fact that you had tickets already bought mean that you got into the tour part OK or did you have to still book a place for later in the day?

Your kids should really enjoy it. When we went our oldest DS was 6 1/2. He liked it a lot. I'm sure that now that he's 11 he would enjoy it even more. We plan to go over the next time there is a launch.(One of those "life's to do list" things) Have a great time.

Regerding tours at KSC: There are two types, the bus tour included with the standard admission and the "special" tours that require an added fee. The standard bus tours run pretty much continuously all day; you just go over to the waiting zone and get on the next bus. This tour stops at the observation gantry (from where you can see the shuttle launch pads and the locations of the 'historical' launch pads from Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo launches) and the Saturn V rocket facility, which includes two 'movie' type exhibits as well as many moon mission related items, plus of course the awe-inspiring Saturn V rocket that was scheduled to go to the moon! You also drive by the vehicle assembly building and the Shuttle landing strip. This is a great tour and will complement your touring of the Visitor's Center. Additional tours (at additional cost) require "reservations" for specific tour times. Some include visits out to the historical launch pads or tours of the Space Station facility. We have done them and while interesting, if I were spending the extra money I'd spend it on the IMAX movies at the Visitor's Center rather than on additional tour stops. At the Visitor's Center, don't forget to walk thru the rocket garden; there are mercury, gemini, and apollo capsules to (try to) sit in and a walk-thru of the white room, in addition to a bunch of rockets and cool info. Also, go walk thru the shuttle mock-up and the astronaut memorial area. I think your kids will have a great day at KSC! (BTW, IMO there is NOT time to do both KSC and Astronaut Hall of FAme in one day, so don't spend the extra money if you'll only have one day's admission!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter