Keeping kids busy on plane and lines...

We print coloring pictures off the internet. I fit two on a sheet of paper so I can cut it down the middle. I buy a small clip board and the pictures fit perfect. We bring a baggie/pencil pouch of colored pencils & a sharpner. That way we don't have crayons get soft from the heat or marker get on their clothes. While waiting in line they color or draw on paper. We've also grab stickers at the dollar store for them to use. When we were in line for Buzz & Woody kids around us joined in. Not only did it keep the kids busy but it gave them a chance to visit with others while waiting. Now it's something we never leave home without. They use it in lines, on the plane, hotel rooms, etc...

Nice thing is if it gets lost of wet we're not out much. (Unlike bringing an IPOD or other electronic)

My kiddos are 5,8, and 13. (13 yr doesn't use them any more but will draw while we're waiting for meals)

We have travelled on planes on international journys with our kids since they were little (under 12 months). Obviously it changes from year to year but we have found the combination of the following helps.
1) Books, both children enjoy getting new books and will read them as soon as they get them.
2) Films, normally we are on international flights so there is normally a movie they can watch.
3) Sleep, we try and take overnight flights.
4)Music just recently after coping very well with alot of time in Madrid airport waiting for Heathrow to open, we gave them an MP3 player each as a treat and that amused them for a few hours.
5) Though they are starting to get a bit too old for them colouring books work very well and as they get older, harder puzzle books.

Can't say about queues in Theme Parks but suspect alot of chatting and pointing out things, but I still have a while till I arrive in Orlando.

This is an awesome idea! I think I will have to look for some of these before we go in three weeks. Can I ask where you bought some of them at?

I got a few at 5Below, some at a party supply store in their goody bag filler section, some at drugstores. Basically, anyplace that sells junk and trinkets at the checkout. Once I started looking for silly keychains, I realized they are everywhere! The biggest hit has been a random shoe on a keychain. My kids wear it on their fingers and then "walk" all over the table, the wall, each other, etc. I don't get it, but, hey, they're quiet!

Have fun on your trip!

Our flights are only about 3 hours, so not much. I believe the DS was brought with last time. And then paper, pencils to draw with. Also, those "hidden picture" type books. My kids love those.

In lines - nothing, really. We talk, or play rock paper scissors or I spy.

Besides the usual suspects (movies, apps, coloring kits, books) we're bringing the Spot It! game. Small enough to throw in your bag (tin is about 4" in diameter) and doesn't use pieces like dice. It's a fun matching game that kids can play that doesn't require any reading. They have different versions for different ages and/or themes. That same brand makes other games in small tins as well.

Here's a list of them available on Amazon. Chick Fil A recently had even smaller (though flimsy) versions available in their kids meals that you may be able to find on ebay or something.

Some great ideas here, i'm visiting WDW for first time in August with my fiance and our two little girls age 2 and 3. Were coming from the UK so the flight is 9 hours! I can predict a fair bit of restlessness and boredom :-(

The last flight I took with my son (he's 2 1/2) was 11 hours plus layover plus another 3 hours, so the 1.5+1.5 to Disney, and 2 on the way back (or something like that) will be cake. He usually falls asleep during take off and landing anyways...

I really like the magnetic activity books. Before I got some of those, I bought a mini lunch box and several magnets for him to play with (think refrigerator on a smaller scale). He also has a couple of hex bugs that can run around in the bottom of the lunch box for him to watch (I just have to make sure he doesn't let them go)
Pipe cleaners are great
I also have one of our iPod touches loaded with appropriate apps and videos.
Finger puppets are fun (although my kiddo hasn't taken to them)
DS is in a stage right now that he LOVES cars and trains, so I imagine a couple of those will keep him super happy just as they do at home.
On planes, I like to get up and walk around with him frequently. It lets us stretch our legs, and for some reason he thinks it's great fun.

We don't normally get into lines that have a posted wait of longer than 20 minutes, so they usually end up being mostly walking and not a lot of actual waiting. I imagine he'll be perfectly entertained with us just pointing out various things.

Also, I forgot about these other things I've picked up at Target for about $5 each:

Melissa & Doug Water Wow books - they come with a pen that you fill with water, and when you "color" with the water pen, it reveals more of the scene or whatever. It's reusable as soon as the water dries. I thought this was kind of a neat idea, because it's not messy and it's reusable instead of done as soon as the book is colored in.

Mini Magna-doodle - they have Disney themed ones (we got Toy Story)

You can find little coloring kits that come with a mini coloring book, some crayons or markers, and a little sheet of stickers in the Dollar Spot area at Target. They have tons of licensed character themes, including a gazillion different Disney themes. I've also seen these at Walmart near the books and magazine (the kid section of that aisle) and hanging near the Crayola stuff near the office supply section of the store.

So those are some things that would be good for a plane ride or waiting for dinner.

What about a yo-yo for waiting in lines? My guy is too young for one, but the older kids might get a kick out of trying to learn different yo-yo tricks. You could play 20 questions. I remember playing that as a kid all the time and it was pretty entertaining.

I forgot to add this also to my previous post. We made up a lot of silly stories. I would start out talking about average everyday things, then my 5 y.o. would add a few lines, then we would fill in the blanks, sort of like our own mad libs. Example:

Me: So it was getting on to be bedtime and Josh knew it was time for...Josh: Bed! Me: So he grabbed his pillow...Josh: And his blanket...and (waiting for my line) me: his skateboard! Josh: Then he laid down and went to...Me: the nearest Chucky Cheese! I could get my son to cracking up in no time then we would try to outdo each other with silliness.

And, for older kids on a plane, do get some of those Mad Libs, they are really funny and pass the time easily.

Blessings, Michelle

My kids are 5.5 and 1.5 and we just got back from a trip this month. In line we don't really do much, talk about what we have done so far and what we will be doing later, etc.
On the plane we didn't really do anything to special for DS. We had our portable DVD player on. For DD she has her iXL (little preschool age video game thing) and coloring books. We bought a small princess coloring book during our trip and she colored in the thing the entire flight home (Orlando to St. Louis). It was fabulous. Absolutely no whining or getting bored.

We bring bubbles. Yes bubbles! The kids love them and mine are 5,7,9!!

oh, we did bring bubbles this time! The little packs of 6 or whatever you can get for like $1 in the party aisle at Wal Mart. We brought like 30 of them and if we were waiting for a character or something DD would get them out and if she made friends in line she would share her bubbles.

Hi! My kids are 8,6 and 1. I am looking for some small things to keep them busy. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but I did a search and couldn't find it.
Anyone have an ideas?
What do you bring along to entertain your kiddies?
Thank you!!

For an 8 and 6 year old, an I touch, iPad, or laptop for the plane and nothing for lines. We just talked in lines, people watched, looked at the map, discussed our plans, etc... We follow a touring plan and have rarely waited longer than 15-20 minutes in a FP line or regular line deemed a short enough wait.

For a 1 year old...good luck :thumbsup2 one of mine was easy and as long as he had his blankie he would sleep on the plane and would then just be happy to be held and talked to in lines. My DD16 was a more difficult baby and truthfully we left her home with grandma. She just wasn't a happy camper outside of her regular routine and wouldn't sleep any where but in her own bed.

oh, we did bring bubbles this time! The little packs of 6 or whatever you can get for like $1 in the party aisle at Wal Mart. We brought like 30 of them and if we were waiting for a character or something DD would get them out and if she made friends in line she would share her bubbles.

Please don't use bubbles in line. People are allergic to them and even if they aren't they leave residue on glasses, electronic screens and skin making them sticky and dirty. On Main Street you can avoid them but if you are trappe in line you can't. And yes I will ask you to stop if you are near me.

Please don't use bubbles in line. People are allergic to them and even if they aren't they leave residue on glasses, electronic screens and skin making them sticky and dirty. On Main Street you can avoid them but if you are trappe in line you can't. And yes I will ask you to stop if you are near me.

I'm sorry you had trouble with people and bubbles before but we don't blow them towards people and my girls loved it and so did others but I will take your advice and only do it around people who don't mind! Thank you!

Please don't use bubbles in a crowded area. Anything that is going to get on other people is not cool, IMO. I personally hate to get that sticky bubble solution on me. Plus, if it's spilled the area becomes hazardously slippery.

I'm sorry you had trouble with people and bubbles before but we don't blow them towards people and my girls loved it and so did others but I will take your advice and only do it around people who don't mind! Thank you!

Bubbles by their nature float and go where ever the wind blows. So even if you don't blow them at someone you can still hit them.

For waiting in line- I print those Highlights Hidden Pictures and iSpy pictures, 2 or 4 to a page so they are small and weight nothing! Pipe cleaners or Bendaroos are good too.

We bring bubbles. Yes bubbles! The kids love them and mine are 5,7,9!!

I really hope you don't! At least,I hope you don't use it in lines or where there are crowds of people. People wouldn't appreciate it if some solution accidentally got on their camera or Ipad, and some people are allergic to the solution.

Not to mention, if some of that solution gets spilled, it makes the ground very slippery.

I have to say, I have been to WDW with kids as young as 3 months old. And we never had to bring anything along to entertain them in line. We would play I-Spy, or talk about what are favorite Disney things were, if we were excited to be eating with Mickey Mouse, play rock paper scissors. Most lines are not that long, there really is no need to haul extra stuff along to keep the kiddies entertained.

Oh a plane, I would think the older two could read, or play with a handheld video game (not sure if that's allowed on a plane), play a card game, color, etc. I don't have any advice on the youngest.

And as for lines, I would suggest getting to the park before opening, go to the popular rides first, and use FastPasses. We are able to use this strategy and avoid lines longer than about 20 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter