• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Keeping Baby Cool in August

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
I need some tips! We are going to Disney for 10 days at the end of August with an 11 week old baby, DS3 (has Down syndrome and can't walk), DD6, and DS8. We are DVC members and go every year, so this is not a once in a lifetime trip and We understand we will not be able to see it all. The main concern I have is keeping baby cool and I could use some tips on that.

I have an Ergo 360 mesh carrier with infant insert and I am hoping to carry her in that a lot. DH thinks she will get overheated and we should have her in the stroller primarily. I like the Ergo because breastfeeding is easy and discreet in it, plus we won't have to wake her up to get her out of the stroller for rides. Has anyone had experience with an Ergo in August heat? Any tips for keeping cool? I was thinking maybe a stroller fan on the straps might help her, but didn't know if that would work.

When we use a stroller, we will need to use a car seat in it for her (we can't have her directly next to DS in the double because he will grab her). To me, this seems like it will also be hot and a pain, plus it won't work for parks that we need to take busses to (HS and AK). Anyone have experience with baby in a car seat/stroller?

Tips for transporting her? Any good stroller fans that work with an Ergo? Are cooling towels good for babies? I would appreciate any tips or advice. I will nurse her often to keep her hydrated, but I am very concerned about heatstroke. Thanks!

Took older baby to WDW this year. Rented a stroller from Kingdom Strollers. Get one of those cloths that you wet and snap to cool. Keep a stroller fan handy. Make sure the baby feeds often. Find shade whenever you can.

I never took a baby that young to Disney but I wore my daughter all the time when she was little, and I don't think they are any hotter being carried than they are baking in an infant carrier in a stroller (except they can be shaded easier.

Take frequent breaks, seek out shade and AC as often as possible, get a cooling towel and mister fan, and apply copious amounts of sunblock.

I would also rope drop and go back to the resort before the real heat of the day kicks in, and then go back in the late afternoon.

We went last year when YDS was 14 weeks old. It was the first week in September and incredibly hot. I brought along our Ergo 360 not the mesh one and used it only in the parks at night. I am not sure if the baby was as uncomfortable with it on as I was but when I wore it I felt like it was at least 20 degrees hotter. We had our then 2yr old ODS with us and we brought along two Zobo strollers. The strollers lay almost flat, steer easily and the shade is really large. They also fold standing up so it was possible for me to fold it and lift it onto the busses without help from anyone. We had one of those towels that stays cool and we put it under his legs. We also hung a muslin blanket from the canopy to add a little more sun protection. I bought one of those water bottles with the fan attached and spritzed him once in awhile. My favorite part of that Disney vacation was the Baby Care stations. I know it is hard to take a break when you are on a roll in Disney but the 20 minutes of nursing in a nice air conditioned room was a good pick me up to keep me and baby happy. I would send DH, MIL and ODS ahead and text DH when I was done to see where he was. The baby handled the weather and the vacation better than I could ever imagine.

I'm not a stranger to bringing a baby to Disney. We brought our son at 3 months and 15 months. That being said, we chose to go in April, when the heat and humidity typically isn't as oppressive. We usually alternate between April and August, but I just didn't think it would be a good idea to bring a baby during August.

Next year will be his 1st August trip, but he will be 2.5 years old, and even then, I think he may get pretty miserable. We plan on letting him rest in his stroller, with a fan. We use Frogg Toggs when we go in August and find those very helpful. We all wear Keen sandals in order to deal with the heat and downpours that often come in the afternoon.

Lots of water, and a/c attractions.

We also tend to get to the parks around 9 and leave around lunchtime. We nap, and go in the pool during the peak hours of heat and then head back out to the parks around 5 pm.

Oh, and LOTS and LOTS of sunscreen!

We took our daughter at 12 weeks old in beg of October. It was our easiest trip! With newborns they are super easy bc they sleep so much. In the am and evening I wore her alot in the ergo! When I needed to wear her during the hotter parts of the day I would use a cooling towel between her and I to help keep us both cool. Take a light weight blanket and use a stroller with a large canopy. I would clip on the blanket on the end of the canopy to block out as much of the light as much as possible. I do recommend renting or buying a single stroller. A baby would over heat quickly in the carseat. We have a city mini and its wonderful. Reclines near flat so perfect for baby! This stroller is about to make its 3rd Disney trip! Also use a stroller fan. I have one that uses batteries and u can plug it I to a USB charger. It was about $20. we also use the cooling towel. Enjoy your trip

I have a 6 week old and a Lillebaby Airflow mesh carrier with hood and it's still not comfortable in 90 degree heat and humidity like we saw today, even just walking a block to pick my older DS up from day camp. Maybe PP's suggestion to use a Frog Togg towel between you would work but if it were me, I would choose a stroller with a good clip on fan and a big canopy and muslin cloth for shade. And keep hydrated especially if you're nursing!

My daughter was born in March and we're very much on the go type of people. We were at the zoo before she was two weeks old. So this summer we've been taking her everywhere. Remember a baby that young can't wear sunscreen. I would want her in a stroller and covered with a UV proof cover. My then 12 week old baby got sun through a muslin blanket in June in NY, so you definitely need real uv-proof sun cover for Fl sun. Their skin is so sensitive. I LOVE my Graco Breaze. It lays flat and closes completely around at the foot area to carry an infant. It's also lightweight, closes with one hand from standing position, & has a carry strap for when closed. I would get a stroller fan to use with the stroller for sure. I've found we give off so much heat that carrying her is not good & a stroller is much safer and cooler for the both of you. I always carry a cooler bag with ice packs and place her washcloths in a ziplock bag with water to have cold compresses for her so those cooling towels would definitely be good. I also keep the baby wipes in there. The biggest thing is keeping her out of the sun to me. That's what I've been trying to do this summer. Maybe just rent a stroller at WDW for your older one so you're only dealing with one stroller on the buses? We're going this fall with my then 2 year old and 7 month old and using two of the Graco Breaze umbrella strollers. I could easily carry my 7 month old and that stroller onto the bus, so that's our plan.

Definitely do the stroller with a fan. I have four kids (I live in Orlando) and would never baby wear during the day in the summer, except for a few minutes or if I'm inside (as in, grocery shopping)--not at a theme park. It's easy to underestimate the heat and the toll it takes on you. Especially if you are nursing. Bring the car seat/stroller, but baby wear and have the 8yo help with the car seat or stroller when you ride the bus. It's do-able. My son was in charge of getting the stroller for baby on the bus when he was 8.
I brought my third kid to the Magic Kingdom for the day at 4 weeks and it was great. HOT (June), but great. Stop frequently to drink water and nurse. Nurse extra, every day all day, and you and baby will have a blast. It's easy peasy to take a baby. It's probably the 3yo who will need the most attention--isn't that always the case???

I would definitely get a cooling towel, and I just got an spf 50 umbrella on target's website: if I was wearing, I would have a sun umbrella. Lots of liquids, get in AC between 11 and 3 by going to tiki room, country bears, etc..

I took a 6 month old in Sept, with plans to baby wear most of the time. It was just TOO hot- for me, which I would assume would be too hot for the baby, too. That being said, 11 weeks is so much younger than 6 months and I can't imagine an 11 week old sitting a stroller the entire time, either- especially in a car seat, which I agree would likely be hot, too. I would probably try the fan on the carrier strap. Maybe some cooling towels for you which would also keep her cool as well. I am sure it will all work out, you may just need to seek out the a/c and indoor things more than you would have otherwise. We spent a lot of time nursing in the baby care centers- especially the one in Epcot, the a/c was fabulous in there!

We took 3 month old in March... Used UV protection clothes ( pediatrician ok'ed sunblock for cheeks and feet) and frogg toggs (which i learned about on disboards!). I never managed to nurse her in our ergo carrier but did frequent nursing breaks and the baby care centers (except for the one at DHS which is TERRIBLE!) worked out well for her for nice cool nursing breaks. I often nursed in restaurants too (used a nursing cover)
We also used the stroller and car seat too. She took nice naps in it and if we got to a ride that she could have gone on, we just took turns waiting with her. We had to take apart for the bus to AK, that may be harder for you since you have your DS3 too that needs a stroller folded up. We had DH hold the car seat with baby and sit with our other DD and I would hold the folded stroller.
I hope you all have a wonderful time! My older DD really got to take advantage of baby swap--- she got to ride some of the big rides twice!

Please don't use a cooling towel on a baby younger than 6 months old!!! Babies that young cannot regulate their body temperatures. You can use one for you but it is not recommended for babies under 6 months old. image.jpg

Also, it's not suggested to cover a car seat/stroller fully with blankets because hot air becomes trapped under the blanket and can cause the temperature inside to rise to dangerous temperature. If you drape a blanket make sure there is ample ventilation!!!

http://www.today.com/parents/seekin...overing-blanket-can-be-dangerous-baby-t101059

A agree that a stroller fan is a must. I would also recommend 2 strollers so that you have a lie flat option. A car seat is definitely not comfortable for long period and not the best angle for sleeping. A little mister is nice too just to give a fine mist every now and again and I also recommend a stroller with a large canopy. We rent City Mini's and loved them. Baby was definitely cool with the shade down and fan going.

It might depend on what climate you guys are used to also...

We're from MN and we were there in mid-October - it wasn't that hot for Orlando - but if sure felt hot to us! Even carrying my son the few times he fell asleep on me in shows or something made me feel like we were both boiling.

If you already have it, I would bring it - you'll get some use out of it. But I'd have a secondary plan too.

I need some tips! We are going to Disney for 10 days at the end of August with an 11 week old baby, DS3 (has Down syndrome and can't walk), DD6, and DS8. We are DVC members and go every year, so this is not a once in a lifetime trip and We understand we will not be able to see it all. The main concern I have is keeping baby cool and I could use some tips on that.

I have an Ergo 360 mesh carrier with infant insert and I am hoping to carry her in that a lot. DH thinks she will get overheated and we should have her in the stroller primarily. I like the Ergo because breastfeeding is easy and discreet in it, plus we won't have to wake her up to get her out of the stroller for rides. Has anyone had experience with an Ergo in August heat? Any tips for keeping cool? I was thinking maybe a stroller fan on the straps might help her, but didn't know if that would work.

When we use a stroller, we will need to use a car seat in it for her (we can't have her directly next to DS in the double because he will grab her). To me, this seems like it will also be hot and a pain, plus it won't work for parks that we need to take busses to (HS and AK). Anyone have experience with baby in a car seat/stroller?

Tips for transporting her? Any good stroller fans that work with an Ergo? Are cooling towels good for babies? I would appreciate any tips or advice. I will nurse her often to keep her hydrated, but I am very concerned about heatstroke. Thanks!

If you are baby wearing, I would look into options other than the ergo. The reason being that you will be using the infant insert and that thing is HOT for baby. I have a May baby and the same Ergo 360 cool air mesh and using the infant insert on mild, non-humid days here in California he was sweating within minutes in it. So I definitely wouldn't recommend it for WDW. Maybe see if there is a local babywearing lending library in your town where you could borrow a different type of carrier for the trip.

If you are looking at a double city mini rental maybe you could see if they rent the bassinet attachment? That way baby can move around a little bit and have more airflow rather than being in the infant carrier car seat.

We just got back from a visit last week. I took my 4 month old and it went a lot better than I stressed about. I kept him primarily in his stroller and had two clip on stroller fans blowing on him. I also had the shade pulled down on him. I was pleasantly surprised how many shaded spots there were or spots or attractions with fans or AC. Honestly, we weren't in the heat that much at all (we were at MK 2 days). I brought my sling carrier, but he hated it. It made him so hot. I just carried him in line or on the rides. Hurt my back, but it went well. I also grabbed the stroller fan with me for lines that looked long and/or were in some heat or not indoors. I had the fan blow on him while I held him. I also had a misting fan but he didnt' like the water being sprayed on him.

the youngest we have taken our kids was 4m. Our strategy was using a stroller rather than a carrier so that he could have more air circulating around him (and so I didn't get too hot carrying a hot baby!). Maybe rent a double city mini, since your 3yo will need a stroller anyhow? We did use the carrier in places where the stroller couldn't go (on attractions, standing in lines, etc). We took frequent breaks out of the sun (in attractions or having lunch or shopping!). We also used the stroller fan. And I *might* skip Animal Kingdom, just because I found it to be 1000 degrees hotter than anywhere else :) Or...you could head back for a rest afternoon with the baby, and send the older kids with Dad to AK :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter