Keep or toss food

Tiana4

Earning My Ears
Just went out to my car and realized I left a bag of groceries in it, it had kids yogurt and ricotta cheese in it. It's been in the car for about 2.5 hours. It's about 80 here today. Everything still felt cool to the touch. Should I keep it or toss?

Just went out to my car and realized I left a bag of groceries in it, it had kids yogurt and ricotta cheese in it. It's been in the car for about 2.5 hours. It's about 80 here today. Everything still felt cool to the touch. Should I keep it or toss?

They are probably both fine...if you are really worried, take both products and incorporate them into dinner and dessert tomorrow - baked ziti/lasagna for the ricotta and a yogurt-based muffin for the yogurt...

I once got salmonella because my great aunt thought "it still feels cool -- it's probably fine." It wasn't, and I spent 3 days wishing that I would die.

Thus, why I suggested cooking both...bacteria pretty much dies out if you get a food product to 160 degrees https://www.thespruceeats.com/tip-safe-cooking-temperatures-913410 ...so both suggestions will take care of the "if" for the bacteria. So, if you open the products and it smells fine, it will also be fine if it is cooked for an appropriate time at an appropriate temp.

Thus, why I suggested cooking both...bacteria pretty much dies out if you get a food product to 160 degrees https://www.thespruceeats.com/tip-safe-cooking-temperatures-913410 ...so both suggestions will take care of the "if" for the bacteria. So, if you open the products and it smells fine, it will also be fine if it is cooked for an appropriate time at an appropriate temp.
While it's true that the bacteria itself will be killed by the heat, when the bacteria reproduces it produces toxins that aren't so easily killed. The op's food was right in the danger zone, temperature-wise, for 2 and a half hours. That's just about right for something like botulism or shiga to develop, both if which can be fatal. The article that you linked to even said "Never take a chance on something that might contain botulism."

Salmonella is caused by contamination, not food spoilage. Usually by food contaminated by feces.
Yes, I'm aware of that. You're missing the point. The point is that you shouldn't risk making someone sick because you don't want to throw something out. The OP's family won't get salmonella, but botulism or e coli are very possible. It's not worth it, period

I agree, cooking/heating spoiled food won't make it safe to eat. If a product that should be refrigerated was at room temp (or above) for that long, I would certainly toss in the trash. Not worth making your family ill.

Smelling food is NOT a reliable way to determine if it is safe to eat. Some bacteria do not have an odor.

Yes, I'm aware of that. You're missing the point. The point is that you shouldn't risk making someone sick because you don't want to throw something out. The OP's family won't get salmonella, but botulism or e coli are very possible. It's not worth it, period

The point is, we throw out way too much food that is perfectly good. Food banks distribute all kinds of food that is past it's expiration date, or hasn't been stored at a perfect temperature, and people aren't getting sick.

The point is, we throw out way too much food that is perfectly good. Food banks distribute all kinds of food that is past it's expiration date, or hasn't been stored at a perfect temperature, and people aren't getting sick.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/2011-foodborne-estimates.html
Burden of Foodborne Illness: Findings. CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) gets sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases.

not the case with any of the food banks i worked with in northern california. we couldn't accept anything past it's use by date (liability) and the ones around here will in no way, shape or form accept or distribute any expired food (fresh food donations are discouraged and largely come from companies that can ensure proper handling and storage). this isn't to say that some little under the radar church groups and such don't do it-but all they need is one recipient to get ill and go to legal aide....

p.s. i have no problem with using non perishables past the use by date-i've got my printed chart of the true shelf life that i refer to. fresh stuff-it's on an item by item basis. eggs for instance are easier to peel from hard boiled if they're a few days past the use by and i've never had an issue with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter