Keep It, Change It, and Scrap It - 2000th Post

GatorChris

Not of This World
It's my 2000th post! Wow, I spend a lot of time here....that's good and bad. But mostly good.

I wanted to do something special for this post, so here it is. Think of three rides in three different categories. First, what's the one ride you can't do without? Second, if there's a ride you think could use a refresh or change, what would it be? Lastly, if there's a ride you think is just taking up good space for a potential better ride, which one would you scrap? And you can do both parks if you want.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Disneyland

Must Keep It: Splash Mt

Change It: Matterhorn (make it smoother and faster with drops)

Scrap It: Casey Jr. and Storyland Boats - a ride like 7 Dwarves Mine Train would fit well and be worth riding on each trip.

California Adventure

Must Keep It: Radiator Springs Racers (Soarin' a close second)

Change It: Muppets Theater - Change it from movie preview place and back to a Muppet Show

Scrap It: Golden Zephyr - Take it out and maybe they could put in bleachers all the way across for WOC

Disneyland
Must Keep It: Disneyland Railroad
Change It: Tom Sawyer's Island
Scrap It: Innovations

California Adventure
Must Keep It: Screamin' California (Tower of Terror would have been a Must Keep... But we know how that's going)
Change It: Soarin' have both screen options running at the same time
Scrap It: Boardwalk games

How fun! Ok, here is mine:

Disneyland
Must Keep It:
Splash Mountain (hands down my FAVORITE ride at both parks)
Change It: Autopia (I don't know what can be done -- it's just kind of...bleh)
Scrap It: Finding Nemo Sub (too slow and I always feel like I'm suffocating)

California Adventure
Must Keep It:
California Screamin' (LOVE this one too)
Change It: Soarin' Around the World (change it back to the CA version!)
Scrap It: Jumpin' Jellyfish (I know it's for kids, but even so, it seems lame)

Last edited:
Like you, I'm coming up to my 1000th post and have been obsessing over how to make it a "good one". Kudos on a great topic for your 2000th.

Disneyland

Must Keep It: Pirates (the shortened WDW version makes me value the DL version so much more)

Change It: Finding Nemo (I never had the opportunity to experience the old submarine ride, but it sounds like a much more interesting experience than what the ride currently is)

Scrap It: The Rocket Rod tracks ('nuff said)

California Adventure
Must Keep It: Grizzly River Run (much like my comment on Pirates above, comparing this to Kali at Animal Kingdom makes me appreciate GRR that much more)

Change It: TSMM/Boardwalk (I love TSMM, but they really need to install another track, much like WDW, to deal with capacity issues)

Scrap It: Jumpin' Jellyfish

Disneyland
Must Keep It: POTC
Change It: That whole Tomorrowland entrance
Scrap It: Innovations

California Adventure
Must Keep It: GRR
Change It: Soarin' have both screen options running at the same time!!!!!!!!
Scrap It: Boardwalk games

That's a whole lot of posting, great, thank you!

Disneyland
Must Keep It: Indiana Jones (Pirates was already mentioned)
Change It: Tom Sawyer's Island (agree, lots of room for something more interesting)
Scrap It: Astro Orbitor (add some high tech)

California Adventure
Must Keep It: Toy Story (awesome)
Change It: Silly Symphony Swings (update)
Scrap It: Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (a lot of wasted space)

Oh, this is fun!

Disneyland
Must Keep It:
Space Mountain
Change It: Indiana Jones (Don't get me wrong, I love this ride. But I think it's time for new new scenes).
Scrap It: Toontown (Could be a better use of space. Disclaimer, I have no kids and no longer do character meet and greets.)

California Adventure
Must Keep It:
Radiator Springs Racer
Change It: Toy Story Midway Mania (I agree, another track to speed of the queue)
Scrap It: Golden Zephyr (I was just saying, I never go on this. I walk right past it).

My two cents...

Disneyland
Keep It: Haunted Mansion (and Haunted Mansion Holiday) - I like both versions, but I do wish DL's version had the interactive graveyard queue that is at MK
Change It: Star Tours - Remove the 3D effects, but that's because I can't deal with 3D without getting motion sick
Scrap It: Motor Boats area - Not really sure what to call this, but that seems like a good place to put something

California Adventure
Keep It: RSR
Change It: Sunset Showcase Theater - I'm with the OP, bring back the Muppets (at least in some form)
Scrap It: Golden Zephyr - I've ridden it once (with a little one) and neither of us really thought much of it. She said she'd rather ride Dumbo if we're going to do something that goes in a circle! It might be more fun if it were somehow themed to Disney.

Great idea!

Disneyland
Must Keep It:
Haunted Mansion (as well as the Halloween version, we are split in my family on which we like more)
Change It: Splash Mountain (needs to be re-themed, sorry just my opinion, great RIDE but the theme is off)
Scrap It: Toontown (I have kids, and this could be a way better use of space, we never go in there)

California Adventure
Must Keep It:
Radiator Springs Racer (LOVE THIS RIDE!!!)
Change It: Bugs Land (I have kids and they never want to go over there, new land theme needed and new rides over there)
Scrap It: All the Midway Games. Get rid of them all, add something else there. Seems like dead space to me.

congrats gator, you always have a creative spin to issues

Must keep: Chickapin, about as high as one can arrive, and know that you are that high.
Change it : Subs....there is burning coal in them there hulls
Scrap it: Shooting gallery, all those folks waiting for hours to enter Star Wars land will need easy access to nourishment

Disneyland
Must Keep It: Pirates of the Caribbean (I had a hard time choosing this category, but POTC wins because it's the one ride that says "Disneyland" to me more than any other.)
Change It: Tarzan's Treehouse (change it back to Swiss Family Robinson or change it to a more interactive walk through)
Scrap It: Autopia (I know, I know! I loved "driving" as a kid, my 10 year old still loves this ride, and the theming while driving is pretty cool-way better than at WDW. But the horrible gas engines just don't cut it anymore and they could fit something pretty spectacular in this space.)

California Adventure
Must Keep It: Radiator Springs Racers (Hands down)
Change It: Soarin' (Have one side World and the other California)
Scrap It: Everything between California Screamin'/Mickey's Fun Wheel and Little Mermaid (just scrap the entire line up of carny rides and start over)

Disneyland

Must Keep It: Space Mountain

Change It: Matterhorn [if they could make this ride like expedition everest from AK, that would be amazing]

Scrap It: Nemo.

California Adventure
Must Keep It: Radiator Springs Racers

Change It: Muppets Theater - I agree make it a muppet show or maybe that Mickey's Philharmagic or whatever.

Scrap It: Golden Zephyr, they could bring back the Maliboomer, it's the perfect location for it.

Disneyland
Scrap It: Autopia (I know, I know! I loved "driving" as a kid, my 10 year old still loves this ride, and the theming while driving is pretty cool-way better than at WDW. But the horrible gas engines just don't cut it anymore and they could fit something pretty spectacular in this space.)

I almost chose this, but my kids do love it. I think with all the tech for electric cars and cars that stop on their own, they should put this in "Tomorrowland" since it's already happening today. I'd love to not hear loud engines all over that area, PLUS I'd love to not get whiplash by being hit from behind everytime I ride this.

And it appears this has been moved to the Community Board where the thread will slowly fade into irrelevancy. Sigh.

DL
Must Keep It: POC
Change it: Tarzan's House (change it back)
Scrap it: Astro Orbitor

CA
Must Keep it: TSMM
Change it: Silly Symphony Swings
Scrap it: Games of the Boardwalk

Disneyland
Must Keep It:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Change It: Astro Orbitor (I dunno what to do to change it but..yawn. This could be a scrap too)
Scrap It: Roger Rabbit. Holy crap what a horrible ride. Toontown as a whole COULD be scrapped but I really wish they'd just freshen it up.

California Adventure
Must Keep It:
Radiator Springs Racer
Change It: Toy Story Midway Mania. Definitely needs to get people through faster.
Scrap It: Golden Zephyr. Meh.

Haha! Yeah, I've thought the same thing many times. Terrible and terribly dated.

I honestly think it's the only ride I would have to be held at gunpoint to go on again. HAHAHA! It hurts, gives me a headache, makes me nauseous (and I don't get nauseous on rides). They could make it a new theme and maybe it'd help but I doubt it. And I LOVE RR, so it pains me to say it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter