Just when I thought covid testing was over…

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedricandsophie

DIS Veteran
We are on the wonder leaving Honolulu to Sydney Australia on Oct 13. I knew we needed to prove covid vaccinations which is fine. And we need visas…again fine and done, Now, as notified yesterday, cruise passengers coming to Australia need a negative test before boarding. A
self admInistered antigen test will work, although there is not an explicit requirement that it be video monitored as we had to do in the past. Although there really isn’t a way to prove you took the test unless it is video monitored. I had previously checked Australian requirements for entry and there is no longer a testing requirement listed anywhere. But there is a separate document that Disney is quoting on cruise protocols.
Anyone going on this cruise should have received this same information, And DCL is allowing cancellations up to August 8 with refunds. I hope no one cancels because of this. all passengers should have known about the vaccination requirement already if they bothered to read up on Australia. And the testing requirement is a pain but certainly doable. We will be at aulani a few days before the cruise leaves. We are blessed to be able to go on this cruise and then spend several days in New Zealand once we get there. So I’m not complaining, its Just another step to be prepared for.

We are on the wonder leaving Honolulu to Sydney Australia on Oct 13. I knew we needed to prove covid vaccinations which is fine. And we need visas…again fine and done, Now, as notified yesterday, cruise passengers coming to Australia need a negative test before boarding. A
self admInistered antigen test will work, although there is not an explicit requirement that it be video monitored as we had to do in the past. Although there really isn’t a way to prove you took the test unless it is video monitored. I had previously checked Australian requirements for entry and there is no longer a testing requirement listed anywhere. But there is a separate document that Disney is quoting on cruise protocols.
Anyone going on this cruise should have received this same information, And DCL is allowing cancellations up to August 8 with refunds. I hope no one cancels because of this. all passengers should have known about the vaccination requirement already if they bothered to read up on Australia. And the testing requirement is a pain but certainly doable. We will be at aulani a few days before the cruise leaves. We are blessed to be able to go on this cruise and then spend several days in New Zealand once we get there. So I’m not complaining, its Just another step to be prepared for.
Interesting! I’m not currently planning international travel but admittedly this “old” requirement has completely fallen off my radar screen. I just cleaned out my wallet a few days ago and threw away the paper copies of my vaccine verifications. I wonder if the government-sponsored app still works? :confused3

Glad you’ve got it all together - have a good trip. :wave2:

We are incredibly disappointed in DCL here, for not making note of this earlier. I realize that it is an Australian requirement, but DCL clearly was caught a bit off guard since they are allowing the flexible cancellation again. I don’t know if they were hoping it would be lifted or not, but they obviously allowed people to book who weren’t vaxxed. We have so many questions and not a lot of time before August 8 to decide. We are fully vaxxed and nobody under 12, but the document lists all sorts of masking requirements too, plus we are doing ABD Sydney on the other end, which begs the question about any testing required there. It’s all a big cluster and has me questioning bothering with this cruise at all this year.

We are incredibly disappointed in DCL here, for not making note of this earlier. I realize that it is an Australian requirement, but DCL clearly was caught a bit off guard since they are allowing the flexible cancellation again. I don’t know if they were hoping it would be lifted or not, but they obviously allowed people to book who weren’t vaxxed. We have so many questions and not a lot of time before August 8 to decide. We are fully vaxxed and nobody under 12, but the document lists all sorts of masking requirements too, plus we are doing ABD Sydney on the other end, which begs the question about any testing required there. It’s all a big cluster and has me questioning bothering with this cruise at all this year.
https://www.health.gov.au/topics/covid-19/travel

This website says:

International travellers to Australia​

Australia’s borders are open, and there are no Australian Government requirements to:

• give proof of a negative COVID-19 test on arrival to Australia
  • supply proof of COVID-19 vaccination
  • wear a mask, although this is encouraged.
EDIT:
I'm wrong. I just researched cruising to Australia, and the Eastern seaboard (which Sydney is part of) has restrictions overriding Australia. They still have covid requirements, oddly. This is dated last year, I can't find an updated one, so maybe there is no update yet.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-07/18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf

Last edited:
https://www.health.gov.au/topics/covid-19/travel

This website says:

International travellers to Australia​

Australia’s borders are open, and there are no Australian Government requirements to:

• give proof of a negative COVID-19 test on arrival to Australia
  • supply proof of COVID-19 vaccination
  • wear a mask, although this is encouraged.
EDIT:
I'm wrong. I just researched cruising to Australia, and the Eastern seaboard (which Sydney is part of) has restrictions overriding Australia. They still have covid requirements, oddly. This is dated last year, I can't find an updated one, so maybe there is no update yet.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-07/18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf
What will apply for a cruise from Melbourne to Sydney then?

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but I know many are doing the Vancouver to Hawaii and on to Sydney B2B. Me personally I’d be freaking out spending nine days on a ship with thousands of people were nobody was tested before or wearing a mask and then suddenly have to test for Covid to be let back on - that’s just insane. Hugs to those of you out there doing B2B. I just hope Disney sets something up in Port as that’s additional stress having to figure out how to get a Covid test done for the few hours you have between Sailings why I’m pretty sure most if you had plans that most likely involved, not having to waste time/ stress getting a Covid test

Interesting! I’m not currently planning international travel but admittedly this “old” requirement has completely fallen off my radar screen. I just cleaned out my wallet a few days ago and threw away the paper copies of my vaccine verifications. I wonder if the government-sponsored app still works? :confused3

Glad you’ve got it all together - have a good trip. :wave2:
The medical provider who you got your vaccines from should be able to reissue your Covid Vaccine Record Card.
Leaving all the politics and legal requirements out of the equation, every vaccine you have received in an important part of your medical history and will be for the rest of your life. We are still holding onto our kids childhood vaccine cards for them, and they are 32 and 36.

Geez-We aren't due to cruise out of Sydney until 2025-South Pacific. But it certainly gives me pause. I didn't think there were still requirements to cruise in terms of testing. Many things can change and they most likely will? But then again, you never know. Will be reevaluating things in the spring, when it will become time to plan a really big trip. That is a wildcard with the flights and all. I would really like to take my "trip of a lifetime", but not with testing being the deciding factor given where we are in the pandemic at this point. I can find somewhere else to travel to for that lifetime trip.

Maybe Disney was hoping this requirement would go away before they sailed? But I'm pretty sure other cruise lines have had these policies in place all along for Australia.

DCL clearly was caught a bit off guard since they are allowing the flexible cancellation again. I don’t know if they were hoping it would be lifted or not, but they obviously allowed people to book who weren’t vaxxed.
DCL never required passengers to be vaxxed to book anything; they left that up to individual passengers to determine if it was required by the destination. While most DCL cruise destinations did not vax, there were some ports -- I'm thinking some European locales required it, and maybe Bermuda.

I'm sure when DCL first released the Australia cruises they were hoping restrictions would be dropped by this fall. Allowing the unrestricted cancellation period is in line with how DCL handled other itineraries. I assume that is a limited time period to cancel without penalty? That's how some were caught off-guard in the past because the free cancellation period was months prior to their cruise and they weren't paying attention.

Australia was locked down much more than many other parts of the world and lockdowns or quarantines lasted longer.

As the PP posted DCL will let anyone with a CreditCard an email address book online- they don’t even check if a person has a passport if they book an itinerary where it’s required. when you check in at port, of course, they’ll verify all documents as required by law. I know many people are surprised to learn that most countries require a minimum of six months validity. They’re often surprised when they check in at the airport that their passport is not valid anymore even though it’s not expired.

We are doing the South Pacific from Sydney to HNL in February. DCL has not notified us yet but this will certainly make things much more stressful. 😢

All the other cruise lines that sail to Australia will accept a picture of your negative test. You usually have to put your ID next to the test in the picture. I’m sure DCL will tell you what you specifically need to do. I was just commenting to let everyone know that it is a simple and easy process.

All the other cruise lines that sail to Australia will accept a picture of your negative test. You usually have to put your ID next to the test in the picture. I’m sure DCL will tell you what you specifically need to do. I was just commenting to let everyone know that it is a simple and easy process.
Is this just the honor system then?

I guess it depends. A couple of vloggers took a HAL cruise to Australia and New Zealand and were surprise on day two of the cruise to be handed a covid test by their stateroom attendant.

Essentially, yes. These are the requirements from the Princess website and I’m assuming DCL will have similar requirements.

For guests who have completed a pre-departure Rapid Antigen Test (RAT):

1. The guest must take one (1) photo which shows the guest’s negative RAT result next to the guest’s government issued photo ID; and date and time taken.
  2. The guest must carry photo of the negative test result (or have access to it on their mobile phone) and show it upon request at the terminal.
If you want to go to Australia you have to play by their rules.

Princess states that these guidelines were updated June 22, 2023. But is this for cruise ships going to Australia or for those leaving from Australia as well?

Based on current Australian requirements for cruising, all guests will require a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 24 hours for Rapid-Antigen Test (RAT)
  • Within 48 hours for PCR
Guests who have been approved for a vaccination exemption will also be advised of additional protocols upon arrival at the cruise terminal.

Guests who travel internationally should ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

The medical provider who you got your vaccines from should be able to reissue your Covid Vaccine Record Card.
Leaving all the politics and legal requirements out of the equation, every vaccine you have received in an important part of your medical history and will be for the rest of your life. We are still holding onto our kids childhood vaccine cards for them, and they are 32 and 36.
Not sure that's true here. We didn't get a "card" of any kind. Just a printed page saying what vaccine we got and when, with the pharmacy's stamp on it. I was vaccinated 5 times in 3 separate facilities. There was a government registry app that produced a QR code that could be printed and scanned at airports. Not sure if it would have sufficed everywhere but while it was necessary, it did the trick for us. I haven't even tried to open the app for more than a year (no need).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter