Just turned 12 (new Bahamian vaccine rule)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinytinkmom

I work to support my vacation habit!
In regards to the new Bahamian vaccine requirement - Has anyone already discussed with Disney what happens if you have a child in your party that has just turned 12 prior to the cruise, without sufficient time for the full Pfizer vaccine sequence? If there is literally no possible way that they could be fully vaccinated in time, I’m wondering if Disney/the Bahamas allow for an exception. Thanks!

I don't but there are people in my FB group with this exact same issue. If they post anything, I will re-post here.

I would say no. And think about the timing when booking a cruise if I had a kid that could fall in the unknown category. Disney will have no choice or say in deciding about an exception.

My first instinct is to say "no." The cutoff is the cutoff and I don't think DCL has any control over it since the Bahamas made the rules. The ship cannot dock without a fully vaccinated ship.
I agree. In terms of paperwork they care about the age the passenger is the day they board. It seems like the only options might be to move the cruise date or get the Johnson&Johnson shot since it's only one dose.

I agree. In terms of paperwork they care about the age the passenger is the day they board. It seems like the only options might be to move the cruise date or get the Johnson&Johnson shot since it's only one dose.

since Kids turning 12 onboard are included it’s more the age they disembark that matters.

Also j&j is NOT allowed for under 18s at this time so it’s not an option

Carnival released a video explaining their vaccine protocols and stated that guest turning 12 right before their cruise start date and do not have enough time to be considered fully vaccinated will need to cancel their cruise. The video is on John Heald's Facebook page. Not sure if this is a mandate from the Bahamian government or Carnival's own policy. Disney may be required to enforce the the same rules.

In regards to the new Bahamian vaccine requirement - Has anyone already discussed with Disney what happens if you have a child in your party that has just turned 12 prior to the cruise, without sufficient time for the full Pfizer vaccine sequence? If there is literally no possible way that they could be fully vaccinated in time, I’m wondering if Disney/the Bahamas allow for an exception. Thanks!
Now that the Pfizer vaccine has full FDA approval, doctors are allowed to use it off-label, which means they can give it to kids under 12 at their discretion. So it would be worth checking with the child's doctor to see if they are willing to give a younger child the shot (particularly if they're close to 12).

Now that the Pfizer vaccine has full FDA approval, doctors are allowed to use it off-label, which means they can give it to kids under 12 at their discretion. So it would be worth checking with the child's doctor to see if they are willing to give a younger child the shot (particularly if they're close to 12).
While I don't see an issue with a doctor using the off-label route to vaccinate a child just shy of 12, I did see that the American Academy of Pediatrics is warning doctors not to do so. I would think most doctors would not want the liability that comes from administering this vaccine to the under 12 group when one of the professional associations is expressly warning against it.

Since the OP has gotten an answer (no, there are no exceptions) and this thread is starting to veer off track, I am going to close this now before it gets out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter