• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned - here are our dining reviews

katiesmom2

DIS Veteran
We’ve just returned home from our 12 day visit to WDW and I wanted to post my reviews of some of the restaurants we visited on our trip.

1) Carrabba’s Italian Grill on Hwy 192 in Kissimmee – this was a new restaurant for us and we really enjoyed it – good food, large quantities, decent pricing. We saw many of them around the WDW area.

2) Giordano’s pizza also on Hwy 192 in Kissimmee – our favorite deep-dish pizza – we did takeout to eat by the pool at our rental house and it was delicious as usual

3) Whispering Canyon dinner – all of us had the All-you-can-eat skillet with milkshakes. The kids had macaroni and cheese. Everything was good and plentiful. This was a repeat trip for us, as we also visited last year. Although we enjoyed it, we think we’ll try something new next year instead of going to WC.

4) Villa de Flora buffet dinner at the Gaylord Palms hotel, off the I-4 just West of WDW – this hotel is gorgeous and the dinner was absolutely AMAZING! We would highly recommend this place. In fact, we wanted to go back a second night of our trip, but we couldn’t fit it into our schedule. They had a huge salad bar with 4 different prepared tossed salads and several pasta salads, breads, soups and gumbos, chicken, salmon, a carvery with turkey and roast beef, clams, rice, potatoes, vegetables, and a made-to-order pasta station. They also had a huge dessert station with about 10 choices, plus a Ben and Jerry’s sundae station. Soft drinks and coffee were included and the price was $28 for adults (sorry, I can’t remember the kid’s pricing). They do change the menu daily, so be sure to check if you want to know exactly what will be offered. This was my birthday dinner and it was so wonderful. The restaurant seating sits out into the beautiful outdoorsy-feeling lobby of the hotel. You feel like you are in the Mediterranean – can’t recommend this highly enough! If you give it a try, your $10 parking is validated at the restaurant, so be sure to take in your ticket.

5) Crystal Palace, MK character lunch – character interaction was okay – several times we were hanging around waiting for a particular character. I am a slightly picky eater and only found a few things on the menu to my liking. The other 3 adults in my party also thought it was just okay. The kids were happy with their food. We probably won’t return to this restaurant.

6) Le Cellier, EPCOT, lunch - Delicious as usual – we had burgers and cheddar cheese soup – really good! While waiting to be seated, the hostess was turning people away – they had no availability for the whole day we were there (and it was lunch time). A gentleman tried to make reservations for 3 days later and they were already fully booked. Be sure to make ADR’s if you want to try this restaurant.

7) Chef Mickey’s breakfast – a family favorite and we enjoyed it once again – good food, plenty of offerings. We’ll continue to make this a part of our annual visit!

8) Sci-Fi Dine In, MGM, lunch – we found the food to be greasier than usual. We wanted to take my MIL/FIL to see the restaurant and we had found the food to be okay last time. This time, my burger was almost inedible it was so greasy. MIL/FIL had reubens and said they were also greasy. We won’t be going back to this restaurant.

9) Kona Café – an absolute favorite and it was delicious once again. 3 of us had the macadamia mahi-mahi and it was delicious. We also had the macadamia torte for dessert – yummy! We found the restaurant to be very busy and noisy this year. We ate at 5:30 and by the time we left, it was really, really busy. We will put up with the noise and go back again next year – love this place!

10) Jiko – based on recommendations on this board, we decided to try out this restaurant. The food was good (I had the short ribs, DH had the tanglewood chicken) but we just didn’t see what made this restaurant so special. We’re glad we tried it, but we won’t be going back. Too many other places to try!

11) Portobello Yacht Club, Downtown Disney – this was our third visit to this restaurant and it will be our last. Service was poor and the food was just okay for the price. I ordered a nightly special pasta that came with a spicy sauce and pancetta. I asked if I could substitute the spicy sauce for a marinara sauce and was told I could. When my dinner arrived, it was pasta with sauce, no pancetta. I assumed the pasta sauce was premade with the pancetta and when I substituted, the pancetta was forgotten. I spoke to the waiter and he said he’d bring me some pancetta. It took 20 minutes to bring it, by which time my whole family had finished eating. My pasta was cold and he did not offer to heat it up. We ordered cookie desserts for the kids and I was surprised that he did not offer to give at least one of those to us free of charge. I was really disappointed in this visit. We first went to this restaurant on our honeymoon and it was always a favorite. I have read on this board that this place might be going downhill. I agree that it is.

This sounds great!
I have only seen Gaylord Palms, but think it would be really cool to stay there!
Did you stay there - or just go for the food?

Hi There!

No, we didn't stay there - we had seen it from outside last year and thought it was beautiful. DH scheduled my birthday dinner there this year as a surprise.

It is a gorgeous hotel. The staff was very friendly. The Villa de Flora was excellent.

Nothing but good things to say about our experience!

I also wanted to hear your experience at Gaylord Palms...did you walk around hotel...it looks so big from the outside.would like to stay there once.

totally agree with you on LeCellier...we had a lunch ressie their last week and thank god we did. they were booked the whole day.

can't imagine what that place will be like when free dining comes in.
Plus it wasn't a good idea that the restaurant in Japan is closed. this is also a favorite among many wdw visitors.

think they should of scheduled this rehab in winter

Thanks for taking the time to post your reviews. I really enjoyed reading them. I was sorry to hear about your experience at Portobello. That's one of the restaurants I've always wanted to try. And, I was surprised to hear about the buffet at the Gaylord. I stayed there for a conference last year (simply amazing hotel!!!!), and they didn't have a buffet then (or if they did, none of us knew anything about it). It's nice to hear one has been added, since the conference I went to is held there every year. :rotfl: Maybe I'll get to try it sometime.

Pat

204 days and counting . . . again!

We also had a bad time at PYC. FYI for those interest inthe Gaylord Palms it does come up on price line every once and a while for 80-90 a niight.

We also had a bad time at PYC. FYI for those interest inthe Gaylord Palms it does come up on price line every once and a while for 80-90 a niight.

This is off-topic, I know, but $80-90 a night would be a steal for the Gaylord Palms! I forget what our conference rate was, but the rooms were gorgeous and came equipped, complete with computers already set up with internet connectivity. All you had to do was log on (free!!). And, the shops . . . wow! I remember they had a shop with nothing but Disney stuff, the usual resort-type shops, a couple of jewelry stores, and my favorite :rotfl: a Godiva chocolate shop. Yum!

The inner courtyard is so lush that you really do feel like you're outside, even though you're not. And, if you time it right, you can watch them feed the aligators . . . yes, I said alligators . . . every evening.

The Gaylord really is a unique experience.

Thanks for the reviews! I have got to get back to Kona's, sounds great!

I really sorry you didn't enjoy Jiko more. Maybe it's the different dishes that we ordered there. The Taste of Africa & the Filet there were really good. I wish you would have had a better experience.

I also wanted to hear your experience at Gaylord Palms...did you walk around hotel...it looks so big from the outside.would like to stay there once.

totally agree with you on LeCellier...we had a lunch ressie their last week and thank god we did. they were booked the whole day.

can't imagine what that place will be like when free dining comes in.
Plus it wasn't a good idea that the restaurant in Japan is closed. this is also a favorite among many wdw visitors.

think they should of scheduled this rehab in winter

We went to Disney last December, we spent our first evening at the Gaylord Palms Ice Exhibit. It was amazing they also had a choir, plays, crafts, cocoa and cookies.

Definately a highlight, and now I want to try her restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter