just needed to vent!

Axelrodb1

Mouseketeer
So my DS6 and I just returned from a very spur of the moment trip up to the World! We had a great time and things were so perfect, making great memories with him (which i LOVE!!!) until....

he accidentally left his lanyard in the bathroom!! Yes, I know it is our fault for not immediately realizing it was left behind, but we returned no more then 10 minutes later and it is gone. I was so crushed. Tried explaining to my friends why I was in pure hysterics and they do not understand why I cant just buy another one. Hes been doing it for about a year now and really loved all the pins he had (including a family of the day one we got from animal kingdom!) Customer Service said they do sometimes get returned, but as wonderful as I know some people are, I do not think we will see the pins or the lanyard again.

A sad sad day :-( And yes, we were both literally in tears at the guest service counter, what a crummy end to the trip, I almost feel like all the memories or getting all the pins together are lost along with the physical pins

Not to mention its going to cost a fortune (that I do not have!) to replace them all for him.

ugh!

sorry, I truly did just need to vent!

did i mention upon check in (one night only) at our offsite hotel, they overbooked and we had no room!!! What a trip!

did i mention upon check in (one night only) at our offsite hotel, they overbooked and we had no room!!! What a trip!

That exact same thing happened to my DS in DHS. A family friend took him to the bathroom and when he came back to meet us, I immediately asked him where his pins were. He said he took it off in the bathroom, so we scooted right back to the bathroom and they were gone. We also checked guest services a few times but they were never turned in. I know how sad you must feel because we were crushed also. Especially since he didn't really have any pins to trade for the rest of the trip. Makes me sad again just writing about it. I will buy him another one on our next trip but it just isn't the same.

A good hotel would arrange a nice room for you in an alternate hotel, and furnish transportation there, if needed. I hope that was done for your family.

I am sorry about the loss of your DS's pins. I can feel your pain. Some pins my DD has are very special and unique.

so sad I know how much the kids get attached to the lanyards once they get started...and to think someone would have the decency to just leave it alone so whomever left it would be able to come back and find it....

Sorry, that stinks. My daughter's first visit, age 3 1/2, we were taking the bus from the airport to the resort (hadn't even arrived at Disney yet) and she left her favorite stuffed animal behind--Stitch. We immediately called it in and the driver remembered a family carring it off and giving it to their child (great lesson there huh?). The rest of the day my daughter cried and kept saying "Ohana--no one gets left behind mom". It broke my heart! A cast member heard her say that when we were checking into the the Poly. and later in the day told us they were able to locate an identical stitch for sale at downtown disney. It had been discontinued a few months before but they searched their warehouse and found one remaining. That is great disney service. She never loved the new stitch as much but she was still very grateful.

I am very surprised guest services didn't give you a no strings for a new lanyard. Then they could have given you some new pins to fill it. Managers have loads of extra pins that just end up at the dump anyways. I use to be a merch intern and have dealt with a few situations like this.

My DD did this not once but twice. And she was 9. She had been keeping up with her lanyard, tickets etc. since she was 7, and then twice when she was 9 left her lanyard behind at Epcot twice. Once was in the restroom at the the America pavillion. We didn't realize it until we had hopped to MK to go see Wishes, and were on our way to getting on the express monorail. Needless to say, the lanyard was no where to be found at Epcot, and never found its way over to the main lost and found at MK.

The second time (on a seperate trip) she had taken it off while we were eating at the Electric Umbrella. We left and about 10 minutes later realized she left it. Luckily someone turned it in, and we got that one back.

I hate reading things like this. I can't imagine that people would keep anything let alone something that obviously was someone's keepsake.

I've found all sorts of things in the restrooms and other random places, including cell phones. I always take them to Cust Service. I figure if I leave them, someone will take them. I just don't understand people sometimes (and by that I mean PARENTS!) Do they not realize their kids have something that they didn't buy?
I'm sorry that happened, it's so sad we have to teach them that they can't trust.
~~g.

I would urge the OP to continue to call the main Lost & Found folks. Not Guest Relations, but Lost & Found. Things often turn up there long after they were lost.

Case in point ... touring Epcot with my sister's family, we found a watch that someone had apparently taken off and left near the bathroom sink at American Adventure. Well, we weren't near Guest Relations, and the CM we attempted to give the watch to at AA didn't seem to know what to do with it. So we hung onto it and figured we'd drop it at GR on our way out that afternoon.

Yes ... you guessed it ... we totally forgot! In fact, we didn't actually remember until two days later when we were packing to leave and I found this strange watch in a special compartment in my park bag, where I'd put it so that I wouldn't lose it! :rolleyes1

I immediately ran it down to the concierge, who promised to send it to Lost & Found. I asked if there was any way that I would know if the person who lost it ever claimed it, and he told me I could call Lost & Found and ask. Well ... totally forgot to do that too :blush: ... until about a month later when my nephew asked, "Whatever happened to that watch"? I called Lost & Found and they said that the watch was still there and that no one had called looking for it yet.

So ... if you lose something -- even if it's a week or a month later -- call Lost & Found and just ask if it's been turned in. Because sometimes a well-meaning, but forgetful, fellow Guest has turned it in, just in a really untimely manner!

:earsboy:

Really really hope that somebody does hand it in and you get them back.

As others have said, I cannot imagine ever doing this to someone, I would hand anything in, no matter how small.

I agree, call again. I lost my camera in 1998 and WDW seriously mailed it to us MONTHS later. I was shocked!

My 5 year old GS left his autographed Pluto (filled with autographs) sitting on the bench at The Boardwalk valet. We turned right around and went back to look for it . . . GONE!!! It clearly was a child's souvenir and he was heart broken! He had lugged that thing everywhere! I could't believe that someone took it. This happened over 10 years ago and I still can't forget it!

I'm so sorry that happened!! A few years ago, DS was shopping at the gift shop at the Poly. He had his wallet and was going to pay for an item himself. He set the wallet down for a moment, walked away a little, and when he went to get it the wallet was still there- but no money! He was devastated! It really irked me that in a minute someone went through a kids wallet and took the money!! He did learn a valuable lesson that day,but it was upsetting and still is!!

I guess I could see how money could be a tempatation to take, but a kids' lanyard and pins? Really?? People are cruel! I just always think, what comes around, goes around!

I'm sorry that has happened to us as well.

One thing we did to remember the pins and the memories of each was write down the pin, where she got it, anything special about the person she traded it with, etc. Didn't take away the immediate hurt but as we included them in the scrapbooks she now remembers more of the day and trading fun.

I guess I could see how money could be a tempatation to take, but a kids' lanyard and pins? Really?? People are cruel! I just always think, what comes around, goes around!

It's sad. I think it's ridiculous what some people will do. But I'm someone who found a $20 bill on the floor at the grocery store and turned it in, so I wouldn't even consider keeping something that belonged to someone else.

It breaks my heart to read this. Sometimes the General Public is just rotten. My DS left his wallet on a game in an arcade in WDW & it was never turned in. We called every couple of days for about 2 months. Yes it was his fault he left it there, but I really wish people were more good hearted & turned in things that were left behind. It was a very hard lesson for him to learn. My dad was with him when it got left behind & my dad felt so awful. It wasn't his fault, it was DS8's, and we really had to talk my dad out of replacing the cash that had been in the wallet. As much as we wanted to, to make DS feel better, we knew he had to learn the hard way to be more responsible with his things.

So sorry this happened with a lanyard & pins. My kids pin trade as well, and it would hurt them to lose that more than if they lost cash.

Sending some pixie dust your way in hopes that just maybe you'll call again & they have it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter