Just finished a trip with 5 families, 21 people - and it went well!

wammers2003

Mouseketeer
June 19-June 26
5 families (10 adults, 11 kids ages 13mos-15)
DVC Copper Creek (5nts, Sun - Fri): two 2-bedroom villas, two 1-bedroom villas (all on DVC points)
Tickets: 4-day ParkHopper with Genie+
Parks: MK, HS, AK, E (in that order)
Marriott Lakeshore Villas (2nts, Fri - Sun): one 2-bedroom villa, three 1-bedroom villas
Disney Springs

Detailed itinerary attached

Some highlights of what we did and learned:

1. Genie+. Everything went seamless at 7:00a. Each family booked the ride we all agreed on for Lightening Lane and we were always in the same window. We then booked ILL, no issues.
2. 2:00p. It was hot, hot, hot so at 2:00p we went back to Copper Creek and hung at the pool until dinner or back to the parks around 6:00/7:00.
3. Yak&Yeti. We were able to call YY directly and get a reservation reservation for 21 for lunch.
4. Geyser Point. The staff was awesome and helped us get a nice corner couch table with an adjacent table within 45 minutes. We ate there 3 times. Geyser Point is a gem.
5. California Grille. I was able to connect directly with a reservationist to secure a dinner for 10 adults at 8:15p, wonderful time, celebrated a 45th b-day and a 49th anniversary while watching fireworks form the balcony.
6. Baby sitters. KidsNiteOut.com was awesome; 2 evenings.
7. Wheel chair. Scooterbug.com was seamless with delivery to Copper Creek and pickup.
8. Groceries. Garden Grocer and InstaCart delivery was seemless to front desk.
9. Annual Pass (non)-issue. 5 in our group had APs that were linked to the rest of the family that had ParkHopper/Genie+ tickets. One DISBoard forum suggested that the AP holders would not be able to add Genie+ using the app. That was not the case for our group; AP holders had no issues buying Genie+ on the app.
10. Guardians of the Galaxy. The most amazing experience, worth the $ILL, IMHO.
11. Bier Garten. Had two reservations for 10 guests each and they sat us together for lunch, really fun, incredible AC and the beers were ice cold.
12. Oga's Cantina. We had four reservations of 4-5 guests each that were not in sync. The reservationist worked with us when we showed up and we were all sat at the same time with only a 15 min wait, such nice people.
13. Savi's Light Saber Workshop. Long story but one group missed their original reservation b/c of travel woes and they accommodated us a day later with proof of reservation, awesome people.
14. Cast Members and Lightening Lane. Cast Members were incredibly helpful when our 2nd or 3rd lightening lane did not sync across all parties. Every time we had an issue, they regrouped us into the same boarding window.
14. Marriott Lakeshore Villas. We stayed here 2 nights to wrap up the trip, great way to wind down, great rooms with kitchens, beautiful property, great pool, really fun employees working the pool and the bar/restaurant.
15. Paradiso 37 at Disney Springs. Was able to make a reservation for 16 by directly calling the restaurant, great time at Disney Springs on our last night of the trip.

A lot of prep went into this trip. Only one family had done WDW in the last 30+ years so we took the approach that "you don't know what you don't know" and agreed there was no reason to crush it every day - keep it simple. This was also predicated on the fact that each family knew they would come back again to do what they missed as the kids get older.

The only thing we would have changed was to go in May, not June - it was hot but we figured it out - pool!

We had a blast, incredible family time together - the Magic is still there, IMHO.

Attachments

• wammers2003_ITINERARY JUN2022.jpg
    wammers2003_ITINERARY JUN2022.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Awesome story and report. We've been blessed to have had a few of these family/friends trips over the years, and they are priceless. Never perfect, but always amazing, especially when revisiting the good times later. Hope you all took a million photos and get to share those in the future!

Sounds like an incredible trip with many memories made.
You are a lucky family/friend group!

Thanks for this. We're going with a group of 20 in March. Renting DVC points at Beach Club Villas. I was a bit worried about only doing 4 days in the parks with so many people, but it sounds as if you had a good experience. Most of our group either has never been, or hasn't been in 10+ years.

Wow that looks great! I have a few questions:

Did you all have a meeting of sorts to determine which lightning lanes you wanted? In my mind, that alone would take an hour to discuss.
Did you do certain rides together and wander separately other times?

We have similar hopes for a trip in the distant future, but I don't think it would be the number of people. I always felt it would be so complex, but you made it sound simple!

Oh and how did the babysitting service handle the number of kids? All together in one room or everyone in their respective rooms?

Thank you so much for your report! We have a trip planned for the week of New Years for 25 family members. Also staying at Copper Creek Villas, so was nice to hear about Geyser Point. This gives me hope that we can make Genie + and ILL work, along with hopefully getting a few meals together.

WOW!!! How incredibly awesome that you had such a great time. I always feel when reading a big family's disappointing report that people go into something like this with too many expectations. I love the "what you don't know, you don't know". No one wants to constantly hear "they used to do this" "it was so much better before" etc. Kudos to you all!

Thanks for the great trip recap! I am glad you had such a wonderful trip! We are big fans of Geyser Point too!

Great work OP. I'm impressed! That's a lot of moving parts and pieces to coordinate, and glad to hear that it worked out so well!!

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter