Just Back! General Impressions.

ttintagel

DIS Veteran
We had a great time!

Guests:
Never in my life have I seen so many people of all ages, nationalities, and socioeconomic classes acting so thoroughly like a bunch of animals. Although we had our share of big tour groups and rowdy EPCOT drunks, the bad guest behavior was pretty evenly distributed between them and the average families. Whatever Disney is paying cast members to deal with the ill-mannered [public, it isn’t enough. I ran into one or two grumpy CM’s, but I honestly couldn’t blame them after seeing what they have to put up with all day. Screaming, pushing, fighting, throwing garbage all over, smoking outside of DSA’s, letting kids run around unsupervised (and get themselves into potentially dangerous situations), people seeming shocked at the very existence of their fellow human beings, people not wanting rules applied to them or their kids, etc… We ran into some really nice people, but they certainly seemed to be the exception to the rule.

CM's:
Again, almost all the CM’s were friendly and efficient. The only less-than-great experiences I had were where it seemed like management hadn’t given one or two of them enough training or guidance. They do a hard job, and almost always do it well. The streetmosphere performers in DHS were a standout.

Food:
Food was great as always. The free QSDP worked out well for us, and the couple of TS meals we had were absolutely delicious and reasonably priced.

Fantasyland Expansion:
The new Fantasyland additions were absolutely gorgeous. I could probably spend a couple of happy hours just exploring all the details in the Little Mermaid queue. It’s great to see a return to building things right the first time.

Maintenance:
Maintenance seems to have improved since last time. Maybe they did a general spruce-up while decorating for the holidays. Some of the more popular bathrooms were trashed at the end of the night, but I can imagine it’s hard to keep them cleaned at that hour even with extra staffing. Only once was a ride I went to down for maintenance, and I saw very few non-working effects.

Crowd levels:
I concur with recent posters who have said that while lines for attractions aren’t long, there’s a general feeling of “being crowded.” There were areas where you couldn’t get through at all, and other areas that were nearly deserted. I’d like to see them do some traffic studies and try to relieve the major bottlenecks. I’m sure having the MK close early for MVMCP every other night didn’t help.

Transportation:
Bless the Disney bus drivers! They do a hard job, and do it well. Several times there seemed to be a lot of buses going to and from places that didn’t need them as much, while there were fewer going between crowded ones. To the company’s credit, they did eventually call more in when needed, but I hope they’ll find a way to improve that response time. More trains would certainly help, even if it's not feasible to expand the Monorail.

ETA: Strollers:
If you have a healthy, neurotypical, non-special-needs child, and are using anything bigger than an umbrella stroller, you are making WDW harder than it needs to be for everybody, including yourself.

We just got back too and I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Daily I was shocked by people acting as though the rules didn't apply to them.

We sat 45 minutes waiting for the parade and those poor girls trying their hardest to get people to listen to them was amazing.

Sorry about your encounters with misbehaving guests, but Fantasyland sounds great. Can't wait!

:)

The guest interactions sound yucky! That is the kind of stuff that really spoils a trip! We have really been noticing this kind of behavior on the other side of the country at DL too!! There are posts about it ALL the time lately, it seems! Even lots of cast member rudeness there! What is happening to our lovely parks?! Makes me sad. :sad2:

We had a great time!
Crowd levels:
I concur with recent posters who have said that while lines for attractions aren’t long, there’s a general feeling of “being crowded.” There were areas where you couldn’t get through at all, and other areas that were nearly deserted. I’d like to see them do some traffic studies and try to relieve the major bottlenecks. I’m sure having the MK close early for MVMCP every other night didn’t help.
Thanks! I always love to hear general impressions of the "State of the Park!"

I totally agree with your assessment of the crowds. I think this actually accounts for the wildly different perceptions people have of whether or not a park is crowded. The Splash Mountain/Big Thunder Mountain area is such a mess, even when the rides themselves have short wait times! I think some kind of change in the traffic pattern of this area would be a huge benfit. Same goes for most of TomorrowLand, which ALWAYS feels crowded, even when wait times don't bear that out...

Don't even get me started on how horrible people have become ... everywhere, not just Disney.

Oh, and I don't agree with fully with the stroller assessment, but I am looking forward to taking our first "stroller-free" trip in January. Definitely thinking it will be so much easier to navigate sans-wheels!

Welcome home and glad you had a nice trip!

Thanks for he observations. We leave tonight and can't wait!

Hope we don't encounter too many rude people. I agree with the whole "it feels crowded but the waits aren't long." This has happened to us a few trips now.

I do not agree with the stroller assessment either. It's really personal preference. We had to buy and use an umbrella stroller because DD got sick in her nicer one. DH and I HATED it. You couldn't hold anything on it and whenever she would fall asleep her neck would be on some weird angle and I'd try to push it while tipping the stroller back so she could be in a somewhat normal position. I will be using the nicer stroller until she is old enough to not need it.

Only a few more hours until we're with the mouse!

Glad you had a great time!

Maybe November changes people, because the last three years we've been to WDW the people overall have been nothing as you describe. Sure it happens, but definately the exception, not the norm. Sounds as though you would have a perfect time as long as no one else was there. ;) :)

Regarding the umbrella strollers, I strongly disagree in our case. An umbrella stroller can't hold anything other than a child. (and not too comfortably at that) We bring bottled water and other drinks (late Sept = hot) into the parks with us in a soft sided cooler which straps on the back of our normal sized single stroller. That cooler would be horrible to carry around. We can also place the "what if's" like ponchos, sunscreen, etc under the stroller. We use the stroller just as much as a child transportation device as a relief from carrying all that stuff around. :scared::headache:

...again, glad you had so much fun.

Dan

We just got back too and we really must have been at different parks than you bc we didn't notice very many rude guests. A few here and there sure, but nothing like you're describing. Maybe we just didn't notice?

I agree the CMs were great. We had great service our whole trip.

We only had two rude guest experiences last week, both on the same day and the same ride: the carousel in MK. First there was a big group of unsupervised kids, probably 9-11 years old, in the line who thought it would be a good idea to just push their way through to the front of the line. Then I had a mother try to nudge my 2 year old daughter off the horse I had just put her on because the mother's daughter wanted to ride the one next to the one we had and the mother "needed" to ride next to her daughter. :sad2: I did see a few drunks at Epcot but they were just singing loudly, not anything dangerous. But we left Epcot by around 7pm on both days so maybe we missed the more interesting ones.

The CMs that we ran in to were mostly great. The only exception was the group running TSMM that seemed put off by the guests and not happy to be there and it was only about 9:30 am!

Glad you had such a great time and yes the ugly people are every place you go even in WDW, lol

Strollers are a whole other subject! No child can be comfortable in an umbrella one! They cut off circulation in the back of the legs for most kids and tip easy. They are not designed to roll smoothly like regular strollers and I would much rather have people use the regular strollers so the poor kids are comfy. If baby isn't happy then nobody is!:littleangel:

We just got back too and we really must have been at different parks than you bc we didn't notice very many rude guests. A few here and there sure, but nothing like you're describing. Maybe we just didn't notice?

I agree the CMs were great. We had great service our whole trip.

Yeah, it certainly can vary widely from area to area. Certainly possible I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot!

Disagree with the stroller comment as well. Last year while I was pregnant and had a one year old, we rented a City mini and it was fabulous. This year we're taking our double for our 2under2! I can't imagine only having an umbrella stroller!

I just got back was there from Nov 25 - Dec 1 and didn't experienced what you mentioned. Or maybe I just noticed it since I was too busy taking pictures and rushing through things lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter