• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from Magic Very Merry-time Cruise

DrTeri

Earning My Ears
Just back from a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Disney Magic. I'm a Gold Castaway Club member but hadn't been on the Magic since her refurbishing. Absolutely loved the cruise despite some windy and occasionally rainy weather. The ship looked beautiful decorated for Christmas. The service was wonderful ( especially our dining room servers and stateroom host). Our room (6634-- secret verandah room) was my favorite from all of my previous cruises for the price, location, and privacy. Loved the new Tangled show. Also really liked the newer additions to the Disney Dreams show. The ventriloquist was also really funny. There were all adults in our group ranging from age 22 to 65 years old and we all found plenty to do and had a terrific time. Was very pleased with both the bag and the lovely photo album we got as a Gold Castaway member. Rebooked on board with a placeholder. Happy to answer any questions.

What makes #6634 a *secret* verandah room?
It's a regular, open verandah but with a very slight obstruction ( one corner is slightly blocked because of the shape of the ship) but you only pay the price of a navigator's verandah. The obstruction is very slight and I personally like the corner obstruction as it offers some privacy and protection from the wind/rain in bad weather. We were on the starboard side and had a great view of Castaway Cay. Could have seen the fireworks from our deck too but we wanted to be up on deck. If you Google the room number (Magic 6634), you. can see several pics of that room.

Great to see your positive review! We'll be boarding the Magic on Wednesday for the first time, and we're staying in the same room!

Can you still drop a card off at the Future Cruise desk to book a placeholder on the Magic? Scott from the DCL Blog mentioned that on one of the new ships (the Dream, I think), that they've completely changed how this works and you actually have to sit with a CM, even for a place holder.

Last edited:
Great to see your positive review! We'll be boarding the Magic on Wednesday for the first time, and we're staying in the same room!

Can you still drop a card off at the Future Cruise desk to book a placeholder on the Magic? Scott mentioned that on one of the new ships (the Dream, I think), that they've completely changed how this works and you actually have to sit with a CM, even for a place holder.
When we booked a placeholder a few weeks ago on the Wonder we had to sit with the CM but it literally took about 2 minutes. They take your info, make sure your email address is correct, ask if you want the $200 charged to the credit card on file and you're done. Easy breezy!

Can you still drop a card off at the Future Cruise desk to book a placeholder on the Magic? Scott mentioned that on one of the new ships (the Dream, I think), that they've completely changed how this works and you actually have to sit with a CM, even for a place holder.

Hi Lisa! You will love the room! Hope you have Ryan for your stateroom host as he was wonderful. Had ice for me each night after I mentioned that I liked to drink ice water in the evening. Great towel animals each night and always a smile on his face! I did sit with a CM to do my placeholder but it was really quick-- less than 5 minutes so it was no problem. Hope you have a great cruise. Also if you want to see the Tangled show, get in line early as the theater really fills up quickly and some families had to split up due to not enough seats together. I highly recommend this show. It was great!!

Were you able to sign up to make Gingerbread houses?

We didn't try that ( too many activities to do ) but I did see some people walking around with small decorated gingerbread houses so I'm assuming you could sign up.

Can't wait to be on a similar cruise in just a little while! Have not been on refurbished Magic. Was last on her for EBTA in 2013! Thank you for your report!

Bobbi

Hope you have a wonderful time! I love the Magic because she is easier to get around on than the Fantasy ( although the Fantasy had some really neat activities). Although she is an older ship, she is holding up well and looks beautiful!

Just back from a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Disney Magic. I'm a Gold Castaway Club member but hadn't been on the Magic since her refurbishing. Absolutely loved the cruise despite some windy and occasionally rainy weather. The ship looked beautiful decorated for Christmas. The service was wonderful ( especially our dining room servers and stateroom host). Our room (6634-- secret verandah room) was my favorite from all of my previous cruises for the price, location, and privacy. Loved the new Tangled show. Also really liked the newer additions to the Disney Dreams show. The ventriloquist was also really funny. There were all adults in our group ranging from age 22 to 65 years old and we all found plenty to do and had a terrific time. Was very pleased with both the bag and the lovely photo album we got as a Gold Castaway member. Rebooked on board with a placeholder. Happy to answer any questions.
Did they add on demand movies to the Magic? Previously you had to get DVDs to watch movies.

I'm with you, DrTeri. I prefer the Classics to the "big girls" and also find them much easier to get around. The Magic was the ship I cruised on for our first few cruises and I call her "my first love". :love: The Wonder is still looking gorgeous as well. I was just on the Hawaii cruise and DCL takes such great care of their ships. Glad you had a wonderful cruise!

Did they add on demand movies to the Magic? Previously you had to get DVDs to watch movies.
The Magic & Wonder don't have on demand movies. But there a several movie channels on the TV that run 24/7. I don't recall ever having to get DVDs to watch movies on DCL (but I've only been cruising DCL since 2008).

I'm with you, DrTeri. I prefer the Classics to the "big girls" and also find them much easier to get around. The Magic was the ship I cruised on for our first few cruises and I call her "my first love". :love: The Wonder is still looking gorgeous as well. I was just on the Hawaii cruise and DCL takes such great care of their ships. Glad you had a wonderful cruise!
Hi southerngirl! How was the Hawaiian cruise? We still can't decide what cruise we want to do next although it will probably be in 2017 since I have a big WDW trip planned for next year with my daughters ( going during Epcot Food and Wine and want to try Victoria and Alberts as we are foodies!)

We are sailing on the 29th, and I am really excited to follow this thread. We head to WDW on Monday, and my son cannot wait for both parts of the trip. I have one question that I could probably find the answer if I dig through some threads. One of the quick serve restaurants serves shawarma I believe. Do you know which one that would be? And, did you or anyone else try it? My DH was wondering about that just yesterday. Thanks!!!

We are sailing on the 29th, and I am really excited to follow this thread. We head to WDW on Monday, and my son cannot wait for both parts of the trip. I have one question that I could probably find the answer if I dig through some threads. One of the quick serve restaurants serves shawarma I believe. Do you know which one that would be? And, did you or anyone else try it? My DH was wondering about that just yesterday. Thanks!!!

You can get it at Pete's Boiler Bites (sometimes a separate station near there). Didn't try it but other people have said it's delicious. Did try the Ahi Tuna and Avocado tower at dinner which was really good . I don't usually like sushi type dishes but our server suggested it and his recommendations were usually spot on.

Hi southerngirl! How was the Hawaiian cruise?

It was fabulous, DrTeri! Mahalo for asking! :flower3: DD had never been to Hawaii and we had the most fabulous time together!! I feel very blessed to have taken such a wonderful trip. We spent 2 nights at Aulani pre-cruise and I really enjoyed sharing my favorite Disney resort with DD as well. As I mentioned above, the Wonder is still so beautiful. I love her crew as well. Saw some familiar faces in the officers and had great fun catching up. If and when DCL goes back to Hawaii, I plan on being on that ship! :cutie:

I love Disney Dreams, and pretty much all the shows on DCL as well. And how wonderful that you saw Tangled! I hope to be able to see that in the not too distant future too! Thanks so much for sharing your MAGICal cruise with us all! :thanks:

You can get it at Pete's Boiler Bites (sometimes a separate station near there). Didn't try it but other people have said it's delicious. Did try the Ahi Tuna and Avocado tower at dinner which was really good . I don't usually like sushi type dishes but our server suggested it and his recommendations were usually spot on.

Thank you very much! I was debating on the tuna dish, and I think you convinced both myself and my DH to try it. We like cooked through sushi, so we are a little hesitant, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. I have a feeling we will both like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter