Just back from ASMu with CP child! Questions?

Disbug

DIS Veteran
We just returned from Spring Break and a great week at WDW. Our youngest has CP and we had a great stay at all of the resorts we visited. We stayed 2 nights at OKW, then 2 nights at BCV, and finally 2 nights at ASMu! It was such a good vacation for all of us (family of 4) and the CM's were fabulous at every resort. We had our luggage transferred to each hotel and it was a breeze. I would do it again. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them.

Thank you, Michelle! It really was fabulous. Anyone who travels with a disabled child, or family member... knows how stressful it can be. Especially with Spring Break crowds I was a little apprehensive. It was truly a joyful experience and my daughter really lit up from all of the interaction and wonderful attractions available at each of the theme parks.

We even enjoyed going to the pool and "swimming" in the baby pool, the hot tub, and at SAB. Sometimes I did notice that parent's would have their children exit the pool when we got in. But mostly, children are curious and sweet and would want to come up and interact with us.

A favorite new ride we tried was the Barnstormer roller coaster in Toontown. She just LOVED that ride. She sat next to her Dad all tucked under his arm and squealed the whole time! I have never seen such a big grin! :thumbsup2 She is 5 but cannot sit unsupported... but this ride has a lap bar and with an adult offering additional support it is very doable for a disabled child. You just have to be able to transfer them from their wheelchair.

Glad to hear you had such a great trip!

We are taking our DS (with CP) to WDW in Ocober staying at ASMo. How did you rate the rooms at the All Stars Resorts with a wheelchair, did you have a room with roll-in shower?

Great info about the Barnstormer! I never would have thought of taking him on that, but it's a possibility we can look at, I'm sure he would love it.

loadsapixiedust said:
Glad to hear you had such a great trip!

We are taking our DS (with CP) to WDW in Ocober staying at ASMo. How did you rate the rooms at the All Stars Resorts with a wheelchair, did you have a room with roll-in shower?

Great info about the Barnstormer! I never would have thought of taking him on that, but it's a possibility we can look at, I'm sure he would love it.

We did have a room with a roll-in shower and it was wonderful. I was impressed without expecting to be. A 1st floor location in the Jazz Inn section proved to be very convenient to the food court, bus stop, and parking. Since we were resort hopping, we also stayed at OKW and BCV, so I was wondering if it was a mistake to save the Value Resort for last. But, no worries, it turned out just fine!

The Barnstormer was an incredibly stimulating ride for our child (and ahem, us too!) If your child can transfer and is tall enough, the CM will direct you to go up through the exit. It is a little tricky to find and is to the left of the Barnstormers entrance. I hope your DS likes it as much as we did!

Disbug said:
The Barnstormer was an incredibly stimulating ride for our child (and ahem, us too!) If your child can transfer and is tall enough, the CM will direct you to go up through the exit. It is a little tricky to find and is to the left of the Barnstormers entrance. I hope your DS likes it as much as we did!
My DD really liked the Barnstormer when she was smaller. She's sort of big to get in there with her dad now.
They used to have you bring the wheelchair thru the regular line. After transferring to the ride car, the CMs lifted the wheelchair across to the other side of the track. It makes a lot more sense to enter and exit from the exit side.

That's fantastic that you had such a great time. My older sister has CP as well (might be Angelman's Syndrome - still awaiting genetic testing to confirm it) and we have never had a bad experience at WDW. Even with my parents using their out of state handicap placard, it was honored everywhere in Disney and in the Orlando area.

I feel your pain with the pools... it can get a little discomforting at times, although you are there to have fun, and who cares what other people think!

Kimberly
My daughter has Angelman Syndrome and we leave in 2 days for Disney. I am a little worried about the crowds and the hot weather. I hope it is easy to get on the rides and I know she will be overwhelmed by the characters.Im so glad so many families travel with their disabled children compared to long ago.

lidec said:
Kimberly
My daughter has Angelman Syndrome and we leave in 2 days for Disney. I am a little worried about the crowds and the hot weather. I hope it is easy to get on the rides and I know she will be overwhelmed by the characters.Im so glad so many families travel with their disabled children compared to long ago.

With my older sister, we just tend to avoid places when they are ridiculously crowded, otherwise, it tends to bother her (for some reason this really only matters indoors). You get in the habit of eating dinner a little later than everyone else, and starting your day earlier, but you end up probably having more fun. My sister always enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon the most (Blizzard Beach is a bit too much for her, she doesn't like the slides too much).

Just have to cut loose, and take the rides easy. My sister does not like any "intense" rides... basically anything above the intensity of the Teacups is a bit too much.

Your daughter will have the time of her life! Not too much to worry about! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter