• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from a short September trip 9/5-9/10

peteykirch

DIS Veteran
My GF and I just returned back from a short, spur of the moment trip and overall had a great time. It was her first real trip to Disney outside of spending an afternoon at the Studios several years ago.

When it comes to the two of us, I'm the much bigger Disney fan. She never really had a big interest in Disney as a whole, but after this trip that has easily changed. She know understands why Disney was always a must do experience sort of thing, and she walked away with a new appreciation of the entire thing.

We got a great AP rate at the Wilderness Lodge, which is pretty much the only reason we went when we did. We originally were just going to go the week before Thanksgiving, but stumbled upon a great deal the week of Labor Day.

Ended up getting a great room at the Wilderness Lodge for less than rack rate at a Moderate, and the airfare was pennies, cost us 200 bucks roundtrip in total for both of us to get down to Orlando and back to Newark.

The Wilderness Lodge? Yes I know it's going under a ton of construction, but honestly we didn't feel that it was overly intrusive and you had to go out of you way to find and hear it.

Our room was a standard view and we requested a high floor. We ended up on the 6th floor with this view.

o1aoXTz.jpg

Talk about a jackpot. I found it hysterical considering I follow Josh of EASYWDW on Twitter and at the same time he was staying a THEMEPARK VIEW room at the Grand Floridian and had a much less stellar view.

Watching Wishes from our balcony was truly an amazing benefit.

UNwyeda.jpg

We went into the trip expecting it to be unbearable in terms of heat and humidity, but it truly wasn't that bad until Friday. Friday was the only day where it felt like it was a chore to go out and explore the parks.

We went into this trip with an attitude of we don't have to go and do everything, because we'll be back in less than 9 weeks. This mantra really helped, well so did the fact the lines seemed to be non-existent.

Seriously, check this out;

29572952706_31cf3f91d5_c.jpg

A 15 minute wait at Soarin.....at 2:30 in the afternoon.

We attended the 9/8/16 Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and had a blast. It didn't seem overly crowded until you got around the Castle. Seriously, it felt like Tomorrowland was abandoned. We kept doing the Trick or Treat trails in Tomorrowland with next to no wait. We strolled over to Liberty Square and the line for candy outside the Riverboat was enormous.

We aren't big on meeting characters, so we used the party to do a lot of rides, and to take in the atmosphere and take tons of pictures. We strolled up to watch Hallowishes and got a great spot less than 10 minutes prior to the show;

Some other observations;

When did strollers get so obnoxiously large? I'm only 28, and when my Mother and Aunt took me to Disney as a child they always managed me in a simple umbrella stroller. These things they are selling now are like giant SUV strollers. Even when they "fold down" they are still enormous. I do wonder what kind of backlash Disney would get if they truly enforced a size restriction on strollers.

This seemed to be the most popular model;

34220766-baby-jogger-city-mini-black-02.JPG

Even folded in half they completely blocked the walkway in boats and buses.

We didn't find the parks to be really dirty as have most people claimed recently.

The bathrooms were all in tip top condition, the only one that seemed run down was the bathroom inside Electric Umbrella, but I think that's much more because it's a design stuck in the late 80s early 90s. Hands down the Contemporary lobby had the nicest bathrooms we experienced.

Food wise we didn't stumble upon any disappointing food or anything that we found really repulsive. My GF is very picky when it comes to food, and she came away enjoying everything she ate.

Where did we eat?

Casey's Corner - Corn Dog Nuggets + Fries

Territory Lounge 2x - Pork Nachos, the Fondue (BEST PRETZEL BREAD EVEN BETTER THAN LE CELLIER)
29574494886_39fc872108_b.jpg

Trails End 2x - Once for their breakfast buffet, another time on our departure day for their brunch buffet.

Flame Tree BBQ - Pulled Pork sammich, onion rings, and the pulled pork and cheese fries. I was kind of disappointed they changed the onion rings from beer battered to a regular panko breading.

Mizner's Lounge - Their pork belly appetizer was truly delish. GF had the Arancini was always comes out amazing, and we shared the Lemon Scented, White Chocolate Cheesecake. I found it to have a mellow lemon flavor, but it was too strong for my GF.

California Grill - Our Anniversary dinner, had an amazing server, and a very leisurely meal. We shared the Rotisserie Chicken Flatbread, and we each had our own salads and our own desserts. I was most upset they no longer have the Pork Belly Nigri on the menu which was apparently removed the week before we got there.

The Wave - I had the breakfast buffet, and the GF had the citrus scented brioche french toast.

Blaze - We're from NJ so we know good pizza, and this was actually pretty good, especially for thin crust. It was also very cheap, to get out of a place with 2 whole pizzas, 2 drinks for less than 26 bucks is a great deal. Their blood orange lemonade was out of this world!

Sci-Fi - Had delicious S'mores shakes, and two really good sandwiches. I got their Boursin Burger and it was so rich, but so delicious. When it comes to theming this is perhaps my favorite place, Disney just hits all the right marks.

Roaring Forks - Only stopped in once for a quick snack, got the adult Chicken Breast nugget meal to share before MNSSHP.

The one thing we both came away with the quick service places is that the portions are huge. I like to eat A LOT, and some of these meals were too much food, especially Casey's.

I don't think there was anything that we found truly negative outside of being stuck in the queue for the People Mover for 20 minutes because they had to shut down the ride since someone vomited in one of the cars. Or maybe the two annoying kids standing on the bench next to my GF during Hallowishes who were inches away from elbowing her in the head or falling off the bench and landed on her.

Merchandise, I came away really enjoying the 28 and Main t-shirts. However they really need to advertise the fact that not all the t-shirts are the same cut and style. In one an XL is nice and roomy, another the XL feels like a medium.

Bought quite a few Wilderness Lodge specific things, and I finally got my light up Polynesian Tiki guy statue.

I'll end this with a few of my favorite pictures I took throughout our trip.

sPxXOOS.jpg

swbgD5i.jpg

CumfTcp.jpg

S9esW4S.jpg

28987561833_6fd87bcee3_b.jpg

Love the Wilderness Lodge! Only had the pleasure of staying there once for my honeymoon. We were on 6th floor as well and could barely see the castle through the trees. What room number was your view?

Love the Wilderness Lodge! Only had the pleasure of staying there once for my honeymoon. We were on 6th floor as well and could barely see the castle through the trees. What room number was your view?

With all the construction they are doing, they really have ripped out a lot of the trees in that back area, now turning that entire wing on the one side into Theme Park view rooms.

With all the construction they are doing, they really have ripped out a lot of the trees in that back area, now turning that entire wing on the one side into Theme Park view rooms.

We were in 6066 at the end of the hall. Those rooms used to be the Woods view rooms, what category are they now considered? I didn't see Woods view as a category anymore.

I also forgot to mention.

RE: Security

My GF and I didn't get selected once in our entire trip to go through the metal detectors. There were days we had bags, days we didn't have bags. We were lucky, go right through and into the park.

Awesome pictures!!!!! It must be great to go on a spur of the moment and get a great deal. Good for you. I'm a teacher so I'd have to be really lucky to get a trip like this in during my career. $200/round-trip from Newark? Holy smokes - that's great! We live in CT and flew out of Newark this last trip because the flights were much cheaper than JFK, LGA, and Westchester.

We check in to WL on Tuesday! These photos make me ready to get back there. I think we had the same room you did during our May trip. Thanks for posting.

Awesome pictures!!!!! It must be great to go on a spur of the moment and get a great deal. Good for you. I'm a teacher so I'd have to be really lucky to get a trip like this in during my career. $200/round-trip from Newark? Holy smokes - that's great! We live in CT and flew out of Newark this last trip because the flights were much cheaper than JFK, LGA, and Westchester.

We were originally going to drive down from Jersey to Orlando. I got bored one night, plugged in the dates on JetBlue's website and came back with 49$ each way. What shocked me even more was the fact we bought tickets less than 3 weeks from departure.

I got bored one night, plugged in the dates on JetBlue's website and came back with 49$ each way.

In that event, even as a teacher, I may have to take that deal! We flew Southwest for the first time and it was good. I just don't like the uncertainty of where you're sitting - even with early-bird purchase etc. However, for our August trip, Jetblue was so pricey that I had to pass. Southwest was.....get this....$600.00 cheaper! Southwest = $700.00/round trip for 3 Jetblue = $1300.00/round trip for 3. I checked the Jetblue site every day [multiple times] for 6 months and the price wouldn't budge.

I told my wife and son that one year I'd like to drive down and stop at some places we've wanted to see along the way. We have to just do it within the next 2 years as my son is in college now and I'd like to do it before he graduates.

In that event, even as a teacher, I may have to take that deal! We flew Southwest for the first time and it was good. I just don't like the uncertainty of where you're sitting - even with early-bird purchase etc. However, for our August trip, Jetblue was so pricey that I had to pass. Southwest was.....get this....$600.00 cheaper! Southwest = $700.00/round trip for 3 Jetblue = $1300.00/round trip for 3. I checked the Jetblue site every day [multiple times] for 6 months and the price wouldn't budge.

I told my wife and son that one year I'd like to drive down and stop at some places we've wanted to see along the way. We have to just do it within the next 2 years as my son is in college now and I'd like to do it before he graduates.

I don't think I ever paid more than 250 round trip on JetBlue. Our flight in November is running us I believe 180 roundtrip per person.

The flight coming down to Disney was less than 50% full. My GF was actually ticked off that someone bought the window seat (We had aisle and middle). The guy wouldn't budge and move to an empty aisle seat, it made no sense. He'd much rather sit next to someone, than have the room of no one next to him in the middle seat.

My GF and I just returned back from a short, spur of the moment trip and overall had a great time. It was her first real trip to Disney outside of spending an afternoon at the Studios several years ago.

When it comes to the two of us, I'm the much bigger Disney fan. She never really had a big interest in Disney as a whole, but after this trip that has easily changed. She know understands why Disney was always a must do experience sort of thing, and she walked away with a new appreciation of the entire thing.

We got a great AP rate at the Wilderness Lodge, which is pretty much the only reason we went when we did. We originally were just going to go the week before Thanksgiving, but stumbled upon a great deal the week of Labor Day.

Ended up getting a great room at the Wilderness Lodge for less than rack rate at a Moderate, and the airfare was pennies, cost us 200 bucks roundtrip in total for both of us to get down to Orlando and back to Newark.

The Wilderness Lodge? Yes I know it's going under a ton of construction, but honestly we didn't feel that it was overly intrusive and you had to go out of you way to find and hear it.

Our room was a standard view and we requested a high floor. We ended up on the 6th floor with this view.

o1aoXTz.jpg

Talk about a jackpot. I found it hysterical considering I follow Josh of EASYWDW on Twitter and at the same time he was staying a THEMEPARK VIEW room at the Grand Floridian and had a much less stellar view.

Watching Wishes from our balcony was truly an amazing benefit.

UNwyeda.jpg

We went into the trip expecting it to be unbearable in terms of heat and humidity, but it truly wasn't that bad until Friday. Friday was the only day where it felt like it was a chore to go out and explore the parks.

We went into this trip with an attitude of we don't have to go and do everything, because we'll be back in less than 9 weeks. This mantra really helped, well so did the fact the lines seemed to be non-existent.

Seriously, check this out;

29572952706_31cf3f91d5_c.jpg

A 15 minute wait at Soarin.....at 2:30 in the afternoon.

We attended the 9/8/16 Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and had a blast. It didn't seem overly crowded until you got around the Castle. Seriously, it felt like Tomorrowland was abandoned. We kept doing the Trick or Treat trails in Tomorrowland with next to no wait. We strolled over to Liberty Square and the line for candy outside the Riverboat was enormous.

We aren't big on meeting characters, so we used the party to do a lot of rides, and to take in the atmosphere and take tons of pictures. We strolled up to watch Hallowishes and got a great spot less than 10 minutes prior to the show;

Some other observations;

When did strollers get so obnoxiously large? I'm only 28, and when my Mother and Aunt took me to Disney as a child they always managed me in a simple umbrella stroller. These things they are selling now are like giant SUV strollers. Even when they "fold down" they are still enormous. I do wonder what kind of backlash Disney would get if they truly enforced a size restriction on strollers.

This seemed to be the most popular model;

34220766-baby-jogger-city-mini-black-02.JPG

Even folded in half they completely blocked the walkway in boats and buses.

We didn't find the parks to be really dirty as have most people claimed recently.

The bathrooms were all in tip top condition, the only one that seemed run down was the bathroom inside Electric Umbrella, but I think that's much more because it's a design stuck in the late 80s early 90s. Hands down the Contemporary lobby had the nicest bathrooms we experienced.

Food wise we didn't stumble upon any disappointing food or anything that we found really repulsive. My GF is very picky when it comes to food, and she came away enjoying everything she ate.

Where did we eat?

Casey's Corner - Corn Dog Nuggets + Fries

Territory Lounge 2x - Pork Nachos, the Fondue (BEST PRETZEL BREAD EVEN BETTER THAN LE CELLIER)
29574494886_39fc872108_b.jpg

Trails End 2x - Once for their breakfast buffet, another time on our departure day for their brunch buffet.

Flame Tree BBQ - Pulled Pork sammich, onion rings, and the pulled pork and cheese fries. I was kind of disappointed they changed the onion rings from beer battered to a regular panko breading.

Mizner's Lounge - Their pork belly appetizer was truly delish. GF had the Arancini was always comes out amazing, and we shared the Lemon Scented, White Chocolate Cheesecake. I found it to have a mellow lemon flavor, but it was too strong for my GF.

California Grill - Our Anniversary dinner, had an amazing server, and a very leisurely meal. We shared the Rotisserie Chicken Flatbread, and we each had our own salads and our own desserts. I was most upset they no longer have the Pork Belly Nigri on the menu which was apparently removed the week before we got there.

The Wave - I had the breakfast buffet, and the GF had the citrus scented brioche french toast.

Blaze - We're from NJ so we know good pizza, and this was actually pretty good, especially for thin crust. It was also very cheap, to get out of a place with 2 whole pizzas, 2 drinks for less than 26 bucks is a great deal. Their blood orange lemonade was out of this world!

Sci-Fi - Had delicious S'mores shakes, and two really good sandwiches. I got their Boursin Burger and it was so rich, but so delicious. When it comes to theming this is perhaps my favorite place, Disney just hits all the right marks.

Roaring Forks - Only stopped in once for a quick snack, got the adult Chicken Breast nugget meal to share before MNSSHP.

The one thing we both came away with the quick service places is that the portions are huge. I like to eat A LOT, and some of these meals were too much food, especially Casey's.

I don't think there was anything that we found truly negative outside of being stuck in the queue for the People Mover for 20 minutes because they had to shut down the ride since someone vomited in one of the cars. Or maybe the two annoying kids standing on the bench next to my GF during Hallowishes who were inches away from elbowing her in the head or falling off the bench and landed on her.

Merchandise, I came away really enjoying the 28 and Main t-shirts. However they really need to advertise the fact that not all the t-shirts are the same cut and style. In one an XL is nice and roomy, another the XL feels like a medium.

Bought quite a few Wilderness Lodge specific things, and I finally got my light up Polynesian Tiki guy statue.

I'll end this with a few of my favorite pictures I took throughout our trip.

sPxXOOS.jpg

swbgD5i.jpg

CumfTcp.jpg

S9esW4S.jpg

28987561833_6fd87bcee3_b.jpg

I check in at WL at the end of the month! Thank you for sharing your amazing vacation with us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter