Just back from 10 glorious days

Princess Mulan

Mouseketeer
Trip was one of the best ever with no major glitches or problems (unless you count the heat wave)!

Some highlights:

Our standard view room at Boardwalk Inn was fabulous! Room was in great condition, and the location couldn't have been better: top floor with views of Epcot and Magic Kingdom fireworks. Balcony was perfectly situated for morning sunrise and afternoon shade.

Dinner at the "new" Flying Fish was excellent! The new décor is elegant and beautiful, befitting the restaurant's signature status. Our appetizers, entrees and desserts were fabulous, and the service was perfect. The meal was pricey, but it was worth every penny.

Other "good" meals were at Yachtsman Steakhouse (always a favorite), Via Napoli and Monsieur Paul. The food at Tiffins was very good, but the experience was marred by a rude server and unhappy, crying children at other tables. (We don't blame the children; they were clearly exhausted and hungry after a full day at the park. Still, it didn't make for a very pleasant experience for the rest of us.) We also were disappointed with Teppan Edo (usually a must-do for us). I don't know if we hit an off night or if it's now typical, but the quality and the quantity of the food were noticeably lower to us.

Best new discovery was Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom. We were there at opening for lunch and enjoyed a beautiful setting on the patio overlooking the bridge to Avatarland. Food was delicious, and service was excellent. Again, it's pricey for lunch, but it was well worth it.

We were excited to see the new Rivers of Light show at Animal Kingdom, but we ended up being disappointed by the experience. The show fell flat for us, as it did for many of the people seated around us. We heard several say, "Is that all there is?" No one applauded at the end, and as we walked out of the park we overheard many people talking about how they were disappointed in the show.

We took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and enjoyed it, although we rank the Wild Africa Trek as our most favorite tour ever. Our guide was enthusiastic and upbeat, and she actually went 30 minutes over the scheduled tour time. We didn't care for the lunch and hope that WDW finds tastier lunch options.

As always, we thoroughly enjoyed the flower and garden festival, and Epcot never looks more beautiful than during F&G. Crowds were noticeably larger on the weekends, but weeknights were very manageable. Also loved Dapper Days, especially Sunday. The well-dressed couples and families promenading through Epcot made the park even more beautiful.

I could go on and on, but this post already is too long! Hope everyone has as wonderful a trip as we had!

Great review. I'm eager to try the "new" Flying Fish; do you mind sharing what you had?

Glad you enjoyed your trip! :goodvibes

Great review. I'm eager to try the "new" Flying Fish; do you mind sharing what you had?

Glad you enjoyed your trip! :goodvibes

I had the lobster bisque, sustainable fish and lemon tart, along with warm bread and butter! It was all delicious! Since we loved the "old" Flying Fish, we were a little skeptical about the new version. However, based upon our experience, the new FF blows the old one out of the water! Pun intended! :rotfl:

So glad to hear you had a great trip. Too bad about ROL though, we are going to give it a try, but it sounds like it might be a one and done.

I had the lobster bisque, sustainable fish and lemon tart, along with warm bread and butter! It was all delicious! Since we loved the "old" Flying Fish, we were a little skeptical about the new version. However, based upon our experience, the new FF blows the old one out of the water! Pun intended! :rotfl:

Thank you! My mouth is now watering. :)

So glad to hear you had a great trip. Too bad about ROL though, we are going to give it a try, but it sounds like it might be a one and done.

I hope you will give ROL a try because "your mileage might vary!" We were so looking forward to it that we had fastpasses for one night and a dining package for a second night. For us, it was a one and done, and we ended up canceling the dining package.

We have the keys to the kingdom tour booked. I have a couple of questions about the food if you don't mind answering. Where did they take you for lunch? What kind of options are you give? Was the tour worth the hours & money? Thanks in advance.

So glad you had a great time. We just got back from a 5 day trip to Disney and also had a fabulous time. We love the Nomad Lounge...it is our new favorite hideaway in Animal Kingdom. Tiffins is our new favorite restaurant. We have been twice now and had wonderful experiences both times. I am sorry you didn't have one on your visit. We also tried the new Flying Fish for the first time on this trip and enjoyed it very much. We will go back.

We are staying at the Boardwalk for the first time in September for F&W and we can't wait. So glad you enjoyed it so much.

We have the keys to the kingdom tour booked. I have a couple of questions about the food if you don't mind answering. Where did they take you for lunch? What kind of options are you give? Was the tour worth the hours & money? Thanks in advance.

Before the tour started, they gave us a menu and asked us to pick an entrée and beverage. I don't remember everything on the menu, but it seems like there were multiple hot dog options, a spicy chicken sandwich and a Caesar salad with chicken. (I don't think there was a burger option.) We both chose the salad with chicken. About midway through the tour we were directed to the Tomorrowland Terrace where our meals were already placed on the tables, along with our bottled beverages (no fountain drinks). Our salads were drenched in Caesar dressing, and the chicken was so tough/hard that we literally could not cut it with our plastic knives and forks. I wish the KTTK tour would return to having lunch at Columbia Harbor House.

We thought the tour was worth it, even despite the poor lunch. We learned a few new facts, saw a backstage warehouse for floats and toured the utilidors, which any WDW fan would enjoy. We probably wouldn't do this tour again, but we were glad to have done the tour once.

It is a long tour. Ours lasted nearly 5.5 hours. The guide did a good job of finding shade for us, and the walking wasn't difficult. The tiring part for us was all of the standing; we probably wouldn't have felt as fatigued if we had actually done more walking than standing.

If you had to choose between Monsieur Paul and Yachtsman Steakhouse, which would you pick? We are a young couple with no children and have never dined at either restaurant. This will be for our Epcot night and we are staying at the Beach Club so both are convenient location wise. Oh and we will have the deluxe dining plan. I've been trying to decide between the two for weeks!

If you had to choose between Monsieur Paul and Yachtsman Steakhouse, which would you pick? We are a young couple with no children and have never dined at either restaurant. This will be for our Epcot night and we are staying at the Beach Club so both are convenient location wise. Oh and we will have the deluxe dining plan. I've been trying to decide between the two for weeks!

Oh, that's a tough choice! Yachtsman, for us, always has been dependable for a good filet, good service and a relatively calm atmosphere. Also, Yachtsman has especially delicious onion rolls and butter! Monsieur Paul was a first for us, and we enjoyed it very much. The entrees were tasty, the service was pleasant, and its signature dessert (the chocolate sphere) is a showstopper. If you can get a window seat, the view at Monsieur Paul is nice.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, although I do have to say that Flying Fish was our favorite signature restaurant. So now I've thrown you a third option! :laughing:

Before the tour started, they gave us a menu and asked us to pick an entrée and beverage. I don't remember everything on the menu, but it seems like there were multiple hot dog options, a spicy chicken sandwich and a Caesar salad with chicken. (I don't think there was a burger option.) We both chose the salad with chicken. About midway through the tour we were directed to the Tomorrowland Terrace where our meals were already placed on the tables, along with our bottled beverages (no fountain drinks). Our salads were drenched in Caesar dressing, and the chicken was so tough/hard that we literally could not cut it with our plastic knives and forks. I wish the KTTK tour would return to having lunch at Columbia Harbor House.

We thought the tour was worth it, even despite the poor lunch. We learned a few new facts, saw a backstage warehouse for floats and toured the utilidors, which any WDW fan would enjoy. We probably wouldn't do this tour again, but we were glad to have done the tour once.

It is a long tour. Ours lasted nearly 5.5 hours. The guide did a good job of finding shade for us, and the walking wasn't difficult. The tiring part for us was all of the standing; we probably wouldn't have felt as fatigued if we had actually done more walking than standing.

Thanks for the info. My DH is really picky & I have a sensitive stomach. I'll live with taking some meds beforehand & not eating much, but I was hoping for at least a burger option for DH. Oh well, not a deal breaker for sure, we'll have to bring some snacks of our own in our backpack to compensate.

2 more questions. What time should we try to make our first fp after the tour? (It starts at 8am) I was thinking 1:30/2pm. I know we're going to probably be tired afterwards, but we'd like to at least ride a couple of our favorites if we're up to it. Unfortunately, we're not as young as we use to be & our energy level isn't as high either so I know we won't stay in the park too much longer after the tour. Did y'all get to ride anything, etc after the tour? Just curious.

Thanks for the info. My DH is really picky & I have a sensitive stomach. I'll live with taking some meds beforehand & not eating much, but I was hoping for at least a burger option for DH. Oh well, not a deal breaker for sure, we'll have to bring some snacks of our own in our backpack to compensate.

2 more questions. What time should we try to make our first fp after the tour? (It starts at 8am) I was thinking 1:30/2pm. I know we're going to probably be tired afterwards, but we'd like to at least ride a couple of our favorites if we're up to it. Unfortunately, we're not as young as we use to be & our energy level isn't as high either so I know we won't stay in the park too much longer after the tour. Did y'all get to ride anything, etc after the tour? Just curious.

The tour is listed as being 4.5 to 5 hours long, so it should be fine to schedule fastpasses anytime after 1 p.m. for an 8 a.m. tour. Remember that you have an hour fastpass time window, so you would have until 2 p.m. (or 2:05 if WDW keeps the 5-minute grace period) to use a 1 p.m. fastpass. We had fastpasses for another park, so we didn't ride anything at MK after our tour.

As far as lunch, WDW is known to change things without notice (or much notice), so perhaps there will be suitable options for you and your DH. I hope you will enjoy the tour and lunch! :goodvibes

When we did KTTK, we had lunch upstairs at Columbia House. They had a section roped off for us and you chose one of three sandwiches at the beginning if the tour. If you're a Disney fan, totally worth the time and money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter