• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back - 21-27 Sep POR

Mitzicat

DIS Veteran
Well I am going through withdraws...can't figure out why my work cafeteria won't accept my magic band...and I am counting the days until a Disney cruise and a bounceback for Dec 2017.

I wanted to quickly highlight a couple of things:

1. CMs - we did not run into any rude or annoying cast members. All were so wonderful and helpful. We struck up so many conversations that I can't keep them all straight. Many of the CMs stated they loved spreading pixie dust and seeing the smiles on everyone's face, but growing minority of guests are becoming demanding and spoiled. This group is taking time away from the rest of us. One story was about a woman who told the CM that she ruined her entire vacation because there was not hot tub at PoP and that the menu in the quick service restaurant didn't change daily. So all I ask is that everyone say a couple of extra thank yous and show some courtesy to the CMs. Given the opportunity they will make it right, whatever your issue is. I have an email reading to send kudo's to 3 outstanding CMs.

2. Disney Springs: AMAZING!!!! I know many folks on here don't like it because it is a glorified shopping mall, but oh my gosh. I loved it. My fiance said "if we lived in Orlando, we would be here almost every night." Blaze pizza was awesome.

3. Food - only one issue with a meal and that was at California grill. The food was good, but the time to get our food took forever. We were seated at 7:15, ordered by 7:30 and didn't get out of there until almost 10. It was nuts. But everything else was yummy - Boma and Cape May breakfast's were wonderful.

4. $37,000 Crystal Castle! Learned so much about these by talking with a wonderful CM at the Disney Springs location. Only 50 will be made - 22 have been sold. Last one sold was from Disney Springs last Dec. Takes 3 months to make and over 20 thousand hand set crystals. Only 18 left...who wants one!

There is so much more that I could talk about but wanted to be brief.

#1 . Yes! I have said that it's the demanding nature of so many in our society that is at the root of lot of the changes we've all been reading about. But I find that when we are engaging with the CM we have a very pleasant experience. I've never initiated an interaction with them that wasn't pleasant. But like you found, we have found very unreasonable guests. The top on our last trip was the guest who spent 20 min berating a manager at POR because there were bees in the pool area. She actually expected him to remove them all from the area and said that for what she paid she should not have to deal with bees. I overheard the whole thing. I can't fathom how some of these CM can keep a straight face when having to deal with unreasonable guests. The "me-me-me" nature in society is really getting out of hand.

Unbelievable! People are nuts. I have complained once in 5 trips - our bathroom was leaking (BC - 5 years ago) and they moved us, with apologies, from a standard view/juliet balcony to a room with a full balcony overlooking the lake and right near the lobby stairs! When it is a legitimate complaint, Disney tries to take care of you.

welcome back!!! We were there around the same time as you and I agree about people being demanding! We don't go in at all expecting anything extra---it is extra enough being at disney!!! we wore anniversary buttons and really didn't get anything extra besides some fun desserts but my special moments are everyone saying happy anniversary! Just that made me so happy! :)

I agree with you on Disney Springs!!! I loved it too! So nice and it was really clean too!

Glad you had a great trip!

I'm really looking forward to seeing Disney Springs in November! We didn't visit last month so the last time we were there was January, and so much has been added since then. Although I don't think I'll be shopping in the new stores the pictures look beautiful so I'm anxious to see it in person :goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Thank you all. We did have to have maintenance come out and fix our shower. It stopped working, so I called, they said they would send someone out. As soon as I hung up it started working again, so I called back and told them I appreciated the remote pixie dust and that the shower was working again. They still sent a maintenance guy out to fix it while we were at the Halloween party. And our second issue was before all of our party checked in, we asked that are rooms at least been in the same building and sure enough they were. Overall it was an awesome trip.

#1 . Yes! I have said that it's the demanding nature of so many in our society that is at the root of lot of the changes we've all been reading about. But I find that when we are engaging with the CM we have a very pleasant experience. I've never initiated an interaction with them that wasn't pleasant. But like you found, we have found very unreasonable guests. The top on our last trip was the guest who spent 20 min berating a manager at POR because there were bees in the pool area. She actually expected him to remove them all from the area and said that for what she paid she should not have to deal with bees. I overheard the whole thing. I can't fathom how some of these CM can keep a straight face when having to deal with unreasonable guests. The "me-me-me" nature in society is really getting out of hand.

Some of the CMs we talked to said they have started to be as absurd but polite back to the guests. They said it's the only thing they can do to keep a straight face. Agree the me-me-me nature is getting way out of hand.

But like you found, we have found very unreasonable guests. The top on our last trip was the guest who spent 20 min berating a manager at POR because there were bees in the pool area. She actually expected him to remove them all from the area and said that for what she paid she should not have to deal with bees. I overheard the whole thing.

Not defending the lady you are mentioning, but I will say that the bees by the main pool at POR were REALLY bad last month. I wasn't expecting it.

We had three resort refillable mugs with us at the main pool, after just filling them up, and set them down by a pool chair before heading for a swim. Came back to have the mugs swarming with bees, probably at least 3-4 bees on each mug. Fortunately non of us are allergic, but I can see this being a real scare for some folks. What if we hadn't seen them and took a nice big gulp from our mug. The bees were climbing on, and inside, the mugs. They were very aggressive at getting to that sweet pop in the mug. It was pretty much impossible to get rid of them. Made it hard to even grab one of the mugs. I didn't complain about it, but it was a problem. I don't expect Disney to get rid of all the bees obviously, but they did seem overly present by the pool. Something they could spray for.

Anywhoooo...

Dan

4. $37,000 Crystal Castle! Learned so much about these by talking with a wonderful CM at the Disney Springs location. Only 50 will be made - 22 have been sold. Last one sold was from Disney Springs last Dec. Takes 3 months to make and over 20 thousand hand set crystals. Only 18 left...who wants one!

Hmmmmmm....

Not defending the lady you are mentioning, but I will say that the bees by the main pool at POR were REALLY bad last month. I wasn't expecting it.

We had three resort refillable mugs with us at the main pool, after just filling them up, and set them down by a pool chair before heading for a swim. Came back to have the mugs swarming with bees, probably at least 3-4 bees on each mug. Fortunately non of us are allergic, but I can see this being a real scare for some folks. What if we hadn't seen them and took a nice big gulp from our mug. The bees were climbing on, and inside, the mugs. They were very aggressive at getting to that sweet pop in the mug. It was pretty much impossible to get rid of them. Made it hard to even grab one of the mugs. I didn't complain about it, but it was a problem. I don't expect Disney to get rid of all the bees obviously, but they did seem overly present by the pool. Something they could spray for.

Anywhoooo...

Dan
Yes, they were bad. But they are bees. They are not something that can be removed from an outdoor area fully.
And they do spray for them. They came again after she complained. Unfortunately, they are bees and they sort of do what they please. Even after being sprayed. Anyone who battles them at home knows that spraying really does not get rid of bees

We loved Disney Springs too! I don't understand the dislike, I understand that it is just a fancy shopping center, but I loved strolling around, found the restaurants excellent and loved the scenery. We also said that we would be there every night if we lived close! I loved that you could have the older Disney section i.e. the Disney store, Ghiradelli area as well as the new area.

We loved Disney Springs too! I don't understand the dislike, I understand that it is just a fancy shopping center, but I loved strolling around, found the restaurants excellent and loved the scenery. We also said that we would be there every night if we lived close! I loved that you could have the older Disney section i.e. the Disney store, Ghiradelli area as well as the new area.
I know I like it and I too would go there often if I were local. But I do have a hard time giving up time in a Disney park to go to a very nice, but essentially, a shopping mall.

Anywhoooo...

Dan

Dan - I have no idea what happened at California Grill. We ate there in 2014 and it was perfect. Like I said, the food was good, but the service was really slow. I should add that they said they didn't want to bring our meals out during the fire works, but we had already been there 45 mins before the fireworks started - no appetizers, so we should have had our dinner before the fire works. It was just an off night I guess.

And for the bees. We had a cabana at Typhoon Lagoon and they told us to cover our mugs with a towel...even though they had lids. They said covering them with a towel seems to keep the flying critters down to a minimum. I can understand why the bees want to be around the pool. All those sweet drinks from the bar and the sodas. It's like a mini resort to them. Just a quick search and there are some natural remedies for the bees that Disney might incorporate. Something about peppermint oil and placing cinnamon near the hives (if they can find them.) But agree about the issue - my sister is allergic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter