• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jungle Skipper Canteen

WebmasterKathy

Administrator
Administrator
Not cheap, but soooo good! This is not typical Theme Park food.

I came as a walk up at lunchtime and was seated right away.

I had the Arapas de Pabellon and the lamb chops. Everything was perfect- fresh, beautifully presented, seasoned and spiced just right. What a great addition to the park, this is one of my new "must dos"!

Last edited:
Yes! I feel like half of my post history is just me showing up in all Skipper Canteen threads going "this place is excellent" but it was such a pleasant surprise on our last trip. One of the best last-minute Disney decisions we've ever made.

We had a fun lunch there last week. I got the "Tastes Like Chicken, Cause it Is". Wasn't a great cut of chicken (could only eat half of it because the other half was so tough I couldn't even cut it much less eat it. I don't send food back ever, so i ate what I could and enjoyed the sides too. The SEA shu mai was great! Fun atmosphere and a great server. I'd try this again. Probably go for the mac and cheese.

Can't wait to try this place next month! LTT has always been our go-to for table service simply because it has constant food and is easy to get an reservation, but I am so excited that there is now someplace truly interesting to eat in MK.

I love all these positive Skipper's posts! We're dining there in December before our first MVMCP and we are so excited. My 11 year old especially loves the "punny" jungle cruise skippers, and he is over the moon about this place. I love the interesting menu, and can't wait to try the falafel and the arepas!

We have ADR in November and can't wait.

Question. What exactly is Arapas de Pabellon? I have looked it up but still can't imagine exactly what they taste like.

Thank you

Last edited:
Agreed. We went for the first time in March because we needed a day-of last minute dining res and it was the only place available, and wow! So good! Great atmosphere too. It is now a "must do" every trip for us too!

Intending to try it at some point, because SC now officially accepts Tables in Wonderland.

I found the food here to be to spicy for my taste. I also thought the menu was limited, probably for the same reason. Not sure I would go back again or recommend others give it a try. Just goes to show, that anything about food or restaurants is a matter of personal preferences.

I REALLY wanted to like this place, but I have to say I not one of the 3 of us in our party cared for our meal. we are pretty adventurous eaters, even DD, who is 12 - so our displeasure had nothing to do with some of the comments I have read on other threads about the menu being to exotic or spicy. can't quote the names of the dishes, but I had the steak salad. perhaps they decreased the taste of the dressing on this in reply to the initial comments about bold flavoring - it was tough to detect much flavor in this dressing at all. at first I thought it had none, so I asked our server (who was not getting into the role that the servers here supposedly take on) for extra dressing. even that was mild and seemed watered down.
DD had what amounts to sweet and sour pork. 3 of the 5 tiny pork medallions were nothing but fat. not the tasty tender edible type of fat that she/we are ok with eating. this was chewy gristle. brought it to the attention of our server and she was gone for a LONG time (we and 4 other families were the only people in the restaurant at this time) and finally returned asking if we wanted more pork or something else. for as long as she was gone I kind of assumed she was going to return with more pork that wasn't gristly. We opted to just have it removed from the bill (on Dining plan so not charged a meal credit for that dish) as DD had been eating bread and picking off her father's dish while we were waiting.
DH's dish was pretty good, something on the lines of Shepard's pie - meat veg mix on the bottom with mashed potatoes on the top. it came out (my another server/kitchen assistant) while our server was back addressing the pork issue. it was cold. DH wanted to tell our server, but again, she was gone a LONG TIME. both he and DD were hungry and ate it anyway. they were pretty much done by the time the server came back with the pork option above and DH just let it go as it was almost gone at that point.

we were on the dining plan as I mentioned and were to get dessert with our meal. both DD and I had our birthday buttons on(yes we share a birthday and yes it was that day) and the server rather than letting us order a dessert of our choosing brought us a small chocolate pastry on a plate with happy birthday written on it. nice, but that should be an extra if you are going to give it without asking the patron. that apparently constituted as our dessert on the meal plan. DH asked about one of the menu items and she said "sure, but that would be extra."

at that point he wanted to chew his foot off and get out of there. We did. sadly, I don't think we will be back.

again, I loved the Adventures Club and the corny nature of the Jungle Cruise and really wanted this (vaguely) related premise to work. it didn't for us. I think some of our problem was certainly with our server and not the food or restaurant itself. however some of the other issues were kitchen/management related.

I'm not discouraging others who loved it or those considering going. just giving my review of our experience there.

My DH said that Skippers Canteen was his favorite TS of the whole trip and tied with Tiffins -we ate at 7 TS, last week for Free Dining.
DH and DS ordered the Whole Fish and it was excellent!
I had the Sustainable Fish (not piranha) with Lemon Grass broth and it was very good.
Restaurant was Beautiful! Well themed. We ate lunch at 11:30am and by the time we left it was full of other Guest.

Another booster for Skipper Canteen. We had read mixed reviews. We loved it. The restaurant is so well-themed that the food is almost an afterthought. But the food was good, too!

Keep it up, Disney! We love rich theming!!

We loved SC too! Went twice during a two week stay. I agree with the poor quality of the pork, mine was so fatty (at least half fat if not more) that my server showed it to the chef who sent out more pork so I could have a decent dinner. Also had the sustainable fish with lemongrass broth another night and that was so good!

They still seem to be tweaking the menu. Should get either leaner pork or quit serving that dish altogether. I cook pork often, a little fat is normal, but not what I had on my plate. We will go to SC again to try some other dishes. MK really does need some different restaurants, this one with a little tweaking will certainly be a welcome addition.

we were on the dining plan as I mentioned and were to get dessert with our meal. both DD and I had our birthday buttons on(yes we share a birthday and yes it was that day) and the server rather than letting us order a dessert of our choosing brought us a small chocolate pastry on a plate with happy birthday written on it. nice, but that should be an extra if you are going to give it without asking the patron. that apparently constituted as our dessert on the meal plan. DH asked about one of the menu items and she said "sure, but that would be extra."
That is unacceptable. Please consider writing to guest services and letting them know. It's bad service that won't get corrected unless a manager is informed.

My DH said that Skippers Canteen was his favorite TS of the whole trip and tied with Tiffins -we ate at 7 TS, last week for Free Dining.
DH and DS ordered the Whole Fish and it was excellent!
I had the Sustainable Fish (not piranha) with Lemon Grass broth and it was very good.
Restaurant was Beautiful! Well themed. We ate lunch at 11:30am and by the time we left it was full of other Guest.
Those are the two dishes that I am eyeing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter