June 5, 2016 - Magic Goes to England, Ireland, Scotland and France

Nzdisneymom- Hope your boys won't need any extra information and everything comes quickly!

I just checked our passports and all is fine. Just need to get the baby his passport but will wait until the fall to do that!

I know I will check those passports about hundred more times before next June just to be safe!

Alohagirl, did you check that you have six months validity on your passports after the end of the trip?

We are going to Canada this summer; our passports expire in November 2015 so we wouldn't have the full six months that they recommend - plus they were going to expire before we make this DCL trip, so we are getting ours renewed now while we might would have waited until November to give the renewed ones longer life. The very first passport I had expired before I was ever able to actually go anywhere. This is my third one that I'm getting now.

Anyone else feel like they should be doing something to get ready for this trip already? I feel like I need to be doing something for it at least once every week :) I'm a planner by nature, and travel planning is my favorite thing to do. I am not an over-scheduler for our trips and leave enough down-time to suit my travel companions, but I do like to research options so we don't spend time standing around not knowing what to do and then not have time to do what we would have enjoyed. Does that make sense?

Yes I did check for expiration. I was mostly worried about my daughter's passport. Her passport expires in 2017 with more than 6 months after return. It was fun to see her as she wasn't even a year old when she got it.

I understand about the planning. Trying to get many things in place or have an idea about this cruise before baby comes but feel so overwhelmed and not sure where to begin! Hoping baby is as good as traveler as my daughter!

Have any of you been to any of the ports (or nearby cities) we'll be going to?
If so, what was your favorite thing about the place?
If not, what are you looking forward to the most?

We ordered some travel maps from AAA for the areas so we'll have some geographical sense of where we'll be. That will also let us make some decisions about how much time we might be spending on a bus/private transport to get to some of the cities from the ports. For example, we aren't sure that we want to spend the time it will take to get into Paris for the day, but we would instead use the time to explore Normandy.

Just book and so excited. This will be our 8th Disney cruise but only have gone out of Florida. We just came off the Magic in February and did not intend to book but the itinerary is great. Could not refuse. Looking forward to seeing tips on travelling to London and transfers. Will be travelling with my DS 22 & DS 13 at the time.

Just book and so excited. This will be our 8th Disney cruise but only have gone out of Florida. We just came off the Magic in February and did not intend to book but the itinerary is great. Could not refuse. Looking forward to seeing tips on travelling to London and transfers. Will be travelling with my DS 22 & DS 13 at the time.

Welcome to the group! I'm Cindy D, traveling with DH Gary and our two sons who will be about to turn 20 and 18 when we travel. This is to celebrate our younger son's graduation from high school. It will be our 9th DCL cruise, our 7th on the Magic. Our last cruise was in 2013 when we did back-to-back in the Med... 24 nights on the ship - we are a little worried that 12 won't be enough!

We sailed from Dover in 2010, stayed in London a few days before and after - it was wonderful. This time we plan to arrive two days early but go straight to Dover. We missed Dover as a port in 2010 because we had opted to be in London - this time we want to be able to explore there as well as have the day to recover from the overnight flight!

Anyone stayed in London before using DVC points. Would like a pre stay the night before to see the sights there

Only 60 weeks left until we set sail!!!

Nzdisneymom- I have done a little planning. I started at the the beginning of the trip with London since my husband and children have never been. Even found a hotel I am leaning toward staying that is reasonably priced for London! Much better than what Disney is charging. Also have some tentative plans for port stops. Not too many however! I am most excited about going to Dublin and Edinburgh. What about you?

Leslie Hand- Welcome!!!!

Pardon me for butting in here....I am a Scot who has just notice that the Disney Magic is doing a British Isles cruise. :welcome:

Having just returned yesterday, from a holiday in Orkney ( you are docking at Kirkwall), I can tell you that locals are very excited about a Disney ship heading to Scotland. I wondered if any of you would like to see some photos of Orkney and/or recommendations for places to visit?

I live between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I'm no expert but if you had any questions, I would be happy to try and help.

Cindy, We have been to Dublin as our entry point to our visits to Ireland. We will be doing 4 days in Ireland visiting family before this cruise. On our Dublin port day we will be going about on our own visiting some of our favorites; old post office, Trinity College, we don't do the Guinness Tour, Kilmainham Gaol, Christ Church, Grafton Street (maybe). We will most likely end up most of the day around the Trinity College area, plenty to keep us busy.

I expect they will have excursions up to NewGrange and out to some of the other historic sites. For us, there is no way to see everything in a day so we will focus our attention to staying in Dublin.

Transfer Sam, Thank you for your offer. I would be delighted to see photos or receive any suggestions you might have for us. While we have visited in the area, this will be my first time in Scotland. I would really love to get as much of the local culture that is possible in a day and would appreciate any tips on where to head.

Mike
:woohoo:

Only 60 weeks left until we set sail!!!

Nzdisneymom- I have done a little planning. I started at the the beginning of the trip with London since my husband and children have never been. Even found a hotel I am leaning toward staying that is reasonably priced for London! Much better than what Disney is charging. Also have some tentative plans for port stops. Not too many however! I am most excited about going to Dublin and Edinburgh. What about you?

Leslie Hand- Welcome!!!!

Thanks for the input. I would like to start planning too. My kids have also never seen London so would like to stay for a day or two myself. The flights back to Canada leave early so thinking I might make it on the way back to be closer to the airport. Which hotel did you book? Was online this weekend and looking. I am so use to doing Orlando this is so different.

I wondered if any of you would like to see some photos of Orkney and/or recommendations for places to visit?
I live between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I'm no expert but if you had any questions, I would be happy to try and help.

Trader Sam - thank you for posting! I'm definitely interested in seeing some photos and learning more about the area!

Thanks for the input. I would like to start planning too. My kids have also never seen London so would like to stay for a day or two myself. The flights back to Canada leave early so thinking I might make it on the way back to be closer to the airport. Which hotel did you book? Was online this weekend and looking. I am so use to doing Orlando this is so different.

Planning these kinds of trips is definitely different than a trip to Disney World! We have found from our experience that it's good to plan to arrive at least two days in advance to give time to rest from the travel and also to see the city that you arrive in before being whisked off to the ship. Or plan to stay an extra night or two on the back end if you don't have time at the beginning.

So for us, since the ship sails on Sunday, we want to have Saturday to explore which means we need to arrive on Friday morning which has us flying out on Thursday night which has us leaving home on Wednesday to get to the city where our flight will leave.

If you are taking an overnight flight and are staying in London, if the place you're staying is affordable enough, I would recommend seeing about making your reservation for the night you fly over - and just let them know you will be a super-late arrival. I say this because we have had mixed experiences about whether a room was available for us for an early check-in. We usually need two rooms and sometimes one will be ready when we are arriving at the hotel around 10 AM, but other times the room(s) aren't ready until closer to 4:00 PM which is the published check-in time. Being exhausted, having a lot of luggage (or even a little) , and wanting a place to wash up - well, if you can't get into your room until 4:00 PM, that leaves you a little at a loss or, if you aren't careful, a wasted day. You can usually store your luggage with the hotel and take your valuables and documents with you that you might otherwise have stored in your hotel room safe (always use the safe!!!!!) - it's just harder logistically when you don't have a room to secure your things. By booking at least one room for the night before you arrive, the hotel should have that room still available for you when you get there in the morning and you can check in and go crash there instead of in the lobby with all the others arriving at the same time. Sure, it costs more for the night that you aren't there sleeping, but we have decided that's an acceptable expense for us when we need it.

However, we aren't going to do that for our stay in Dover as we expect by the time we get from the airport to Dover, we should be in decent shape for having space available to stash and crash. And while we don't have a full-on sleep when we arrive, we do like to each take a shower and clean up - and nap when it's not your turn in the bathroom :) I usually let the family have about three hours before shoving us out the door to explore and find food in an effort to get on European time.

Anyway, that's just something I have been thinking about :)

Transfer Sam, Thank you for your offer. I would be delighted to see photos or receive any suggestions you might have for us. While we have visited in the area, this will be my first time in Scotland. I would really love to get as much of the local culture that is possible in a day and would appreciate any tips on where to head.

Mike
:woohoo:

Photos coming up Mike.:)

I've had time to look on the DCL website and now see that Disney are offering you lots of excursions.
So for this one, you will see...The Ring of Brodgar.
IMG_0319_zpsmkjvypb4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are the dramatic Cliffs of Yesnaby included in that tour, albeit that you will be visiting them in daylight. Sunset was at around 8pm last week and I can honestly say that the view was breathtakingly beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter