June 2017 hours... is that a joke?

Zippa D Doodah

<font color=red>Suffering from Fairy Alienation.
Looking at putting together a trip for the last week of June 2017. I l ooked at the hours and saw that MK is scheduled to close at 9pm each night. Are they serious or is that just a placeholder? No way am I going to spend money nor try and plan around twilight closings at MK in the summer time.

This happens every year - nothing new. Last year for August initial hours said closing early, for example, HS at 8:30. In July they extended hours til 930 at HS and added EMH 930-1130. In my experience they always update, add hours usually, the month before, at least for August. I never get upset because it's how it's always been...

Part of the reason for delaying the extension is that they can evaluate After Hour parties. Instead of letting you stay late for free, they can charge you $60-$500 for 3 more hours each person. If they really wanted to get you, they could close the parks at 7PM. This would make people really think hard about paying for that night time fun. Shut the park down when the sunlight is still up. Charge them a fortune to see the park at night.

BTW, I am there with you at the end of June

Part of the reason for delaying the extension is that they can evaluate After Hour parties. Instead of letting you stay late for free, they can charge you $60-$500 for 3 more hours each person. If they really wanted to get you, they could close the parks at 7PM. This would make people really think hard about paying for that night time fun. Shut the park down when the sunlight is still up. Charge them a fortune to see the park at night.

I hope I get there in June. Deciding now about whether this summer will be a big WDW trip or a trip to SoCal with a healthy dose of DLR.

I hope I get there in June. Deciding now about whether this summer will be a big WDW trip or a trip to SoCal with a healthy dose of DLR.

If extended hours are the deciding factor for you, you should go to DLR instead. Last June was slower than previous years, and there's a decent chance the hours won't be as long as you'd like them to be. I would expect them to stretch until 10, but if your enjoyment of your vacation is going to hinge on midnight and post midnight closings, I think there's a decent chance at your being disappointed, and in that case you might be better off going to Disneyland instead.

Just out of curiosity, where have you seen $500 per person for an after hours event? That seems like a hell of a party.

I'm in the same boat with May...9pm closings for MK. I know they will eventually be extended somewhat, but it makes planning ADRs and such harder. On thing I noticed is that the calendars don't show any evening EMH for DHS yet. MK and Epcot are there, but no DHS. Are they phasing these out or will they come later as well?

DHS is a mystery. With the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars, I expect tons of stuff to be going on. Maybe they are keeping everything hush hush for now. Maybe, just maybe, they are looking into extending that after hours party.

Park hours just changed last week (or earlier this week, I can't remember) for my week in February. MK was scheduled to close at 8 or 9pm each night and now it's open until 10, 11 or even midnight.

june hours will update near may 15thish (but might be sooner depending on when pandora is really going to open).

I also think that you will be surprised how late the hours aren't when it does. I think the pattern of "get dark, do fireworks, close the place down" is going to continue with the exception of AK once pandora is opened, I can see them keeping that to 11:30 or midnight nightly all summer.

They will extend hours. It might not be as late as you saw in years past though.
So true. We went the same days in July 2016 as 2015 and initially the hours posted at MK were less in 2016. They did extend a little bit but not the same as 2015.

Take a look at 2016 summer calendars. Chances are the hours for next summer will be basically the same as last summer.
Be careful about this. As I said above, we went July 2015 and 2016 (same exact days) and 2016 never ended up matching the 2015 hours.

They've already extended them some; when I first booked for June (second week) the initial hours were till 8. (I've been back and forth on pushing my 7:45 CG reservation a little bit later just in case, but I think I'm going to keep it as-is.)

I fully expect them to be extended again, but we were only planning on one MK evening this visit, so I haven't been sweating too much yet.

sssshhhhhhh they will hear you. ;)

If extended hours are the deciding factor for you, you should go to DLR instead. Last June was slower than previous years, and there's a decent chance the hours won't be as long as you'd like them to be. I would expect them to stretch until 10, but if your enjoyment of your vacation is going to hinge on midnight and post midnight closings, I think there's a decent chance at your being disappointed, and in that case you might be better off going to Disneyland instead.

Hours are certainly part of the algebra of decision-making. I'm also wondering when Pandora might open; I'd hate to plan a trip and miss it by a week or something. Also waiting to hear about DD maybe getting into CP program, which may call for a later trip. So there's that...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter