July crowds this season

After our last two trips at the beginning of August (sorry OP, I know it's not July,but...) we don't hesitate to go during that time. My wife is a teacher, and also with two of our kids in high school now, our fall trips are just out of the question.

The crowds have actually been lower in August (levels 3-6) than the last two late September trips (levels 4-8, when free dining was being offered). The added bonus to summer are the typically longer park hours as well. We've started to go back to the resort every day to relax/swim/nap between lunch and dinner because the parks have been open long enough to still have lots of time in the evening.

Dan

SWGE is not opening until August 29th so shouldn't have much effect on July crowds.

In the past couple of years people have definitely moved away from going in the summer and there are now much larger crowds in October than there are in July.

And yes I agree that when Disney offers FD starting July 5th that means their crowds have shifted which is also why you don't see much in the way of discounts in October in recent years in comparison to say 10 years ago.

I'm going July 22-26 and anticipate fairly low crowd levels.

Not the OP, but I'm in the northeast and our last day of school/ work is June 26th.

Ugh! :faint: :eek: That's poopy. When do you guys start back? Please say September?

We are in Canada just north of the border at Detroit and we go to the end of June (I think it's the 29th this year) and then go back the day after labour day. For us we usually try to go as late in August as possible but this year I wanted to go for the 4th so we will be in early July. I too am hoping that the SWGE will offset the crowds.

I'm actually already worried about how they will affect next summer and hoping they won't put the kybosh on free dining for next August or July.

@Tiggerlover91 I’m in Atlanta and my kids last day is May 22 and my last day (teacher also) is May 24. We usually go the first week of June bc so many northern schools are still in session. We are doing June 8-16 this year and May 31-June 7 next year to get our two big trips in with one set of APs. However we are also going July 4-7, well, because APs and we want to see those patriotic fireworks.

Fellow teacher here- all our trips have been in July. Honestly it's not been bad lately. We were there for the 4th 2 years ago and it was busy but not packed. This year we'll arrive on the 9th. I don't expect it will be too crazy. I'd like to see the hours extended some- mostly so we can go back to the resort mid-day and escape the worst of the heat.

We were also there during 4 July in 2017. We were expecting it to be a lot more crowded than it actually was. It really wasn't terrible at all. We are back this year from June 26 to July 6.

We were also there during 4 July in 2017. We were expecting it to be a lot more crowded than it actually was. It really wasn't terrible at all. We are back this year from June 26 to July 6.
I don't even think there was a phase 1 closing in MK on the 4th. We saw that back in 2013, but 2017 was not even close to as crowded. Unless you were anywhere in Fantasyland or in front of the castle during the fireworks- then you could not move! Honestly, it has gotten a LOT less crowded in the summer.

ETA: We typically go mid-July- usually around the 15th. It is typically less crowded than July 4th week, so the fact that our last trip included the 4th and had lower crowds is a good indication that mid-July was also less crowded in 2017. Several of the Disney Bloggers also have commented on summer being less busy over the past few years, and that free dining is being offered as an incentive to fill the rooms on site.

Last edited:
We are more northern. School starts August 16 and was scheduled to be out May 23, but due to inclement weather days the kids get out May 29.

Where are you in the South @Klayfish ? I'm in the Panhandle of FL of course and our school year runs from about the second week of August to the end of May. We get a Thanksgiving Break (one week), a winter break (two weeks), and a spring break (one week)
That’s about what we get here in Louisiana. Might have a couple 1-2 day breaks sprinkled throughout the yr too.

ETA: oh & we get Mardi Gras week too!

Until last year we had only gone in February. Last year was our first time in July and I didn't find the crowds to be too bad at all. We went July 21st-28th. We liked it so much we are going back again this July. Hoping for similar crowds to last year.

We went last year and checked in on the 4th, but didn't do any parks until the 5th through 9th. We thought the crowds then were lower than what we expected. We're going again this July 6th-13th and aren't expecting miserable crowds.

This is an interesting question, and I don't know that anyone can really provide an accurate answer to it. Many people will be waiting to go until SWGE opens, so you have the group of people that perhaps had plans for the summer, but when the opening date was announced, they decided to cancel their summer trip and wait until SWGE opens. But there are also many people that want to get in one more trip before the chaos of SWGE hits. So, I think the crowd levels could go either way. We were initially planning a trip in October, thinking that SWGE wouldn't open until Nov. When they announced the opening date, we cancelled that trip and are now going at the end of May.

I, personally, am hoping that many people are going to wait to go until after SWGE opens, leaving the parks less busy for my end of May trip! :thumbsup2

Have a great trip!!

Until last year we had only gone in February. Last year was our first time in July and I didn't find the crowds to be too bad at all. We went July 21st-28th. We liked it so much we are going back again this July. Hoping for similar crowds to last year.
We went last July 18-22 for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. We're going back this July too and hoping for the same!

We normally go in July as it’s our school holidays here in the uk, we’ve done 6 July trips and always found it ok.

We did Christmas last year which we thought was busy but ok, we had one day at Disney last week during our Easter trip and those were the worst crowds I’ve ever seen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter