July 6, 2010 - 7/6/2010 ~ Pounds to Rubles ~ Mickey invades the Baltic Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol - we have a similar situation in that we can't be pre-approved that far in advance, but our experience has been to start talking about it as soon as possible, go ahead and plan to go, and also let our co-workers in on the excitement... so that when it is time to submit vacation requests, no one wants to mess up our vacation that we've been planning for 18 months :) And continue to work responsibly, be a team player, etc etc etc, so that no one has a reason to say no.

Well that sounds like a plan to me! I really want to make this cruise, so I am determined to now make it happen. You brought up some good points, and I will use your plan myself, lol.

Hello~

I'm not sure how many would be interested in this information. I just hung up from member services (DVC) and found out some point totals required for this cruise- these are based on 2 adults and 2 kids-
--for cat 6 771 per adult
cat 8 652 kids--- 225 over 13 //212 under 13
cat 9 628
cat 10 574

I didn't ask for anything over cat 6--I was in shock over 771 and thought my heart couldnt take it.:sad2:

Wanted to add for cash prices---under 12 $1485 over 12 $1475 and adult $4395 (cat 8)

They are opening early on the 14th at 8am.

Good Luck!

Joanne
Yikes, I knew they would be high, though. Did you happen to get the category 11 points? Thanks for sharing this with us...

Yikes those points are way to high for us think we will be paying cash. As for work I'm a teacher so I have the summers off and Matt will have just graduated from culinary school so not a problem.

I know the phone lines open at 8am but will it be available to book online at midnight or do you even have to wait that way?

Lissa

Carol-

Sorry, I neglected to ask for cat 11- I didn't think we could take that many days without a window!

Joanne

I know the phone lines open at 8am but will it be available to book online at midnight or do you even have to wait that way?

Lissa

Someone had posted on the big thread that there won't be midnight booking that they will do online and phone at 8am.

For those interested - I called MS today and found the category 11 points are 549 and the cash price $3845 per person (with at least one person booked on points in the room).

We need two staterooms, DH and I and another room for DD's. We usually get the cat 11 for them and a cat 6 for us (we can share the balcony) but not sure this time around. Going to spend some time today tossing around the numbers and figuring out which combination to go with. I agree the points are quite pricey.

For those interested - I called MS today and found the category 11 points are 549 and the cash price $3845 per person (with at least one person booked on points in the room).

We need two staterooms, DH and I and another room for DD's. We usually get the cat 11 for them and a cat 6 for us (we can share the balcony) but not sure this time around. Going to spend some time today tossing around the numbers and figuring out which combination to go with. I agree the points are quite pricey.

549? I wish I didn't know that--for that amount I could put all 4 of us 1 one cabin and not have to pay cash at all...what to do...:headache:

called member services today and was told the fuel charges don't apply to those using points...:cool1:

Can you book a Cat. 11 on points and then pay cash for an upgrade? We've not looked at the logistics of using points for a cruise yet - and not sure how we would actually do it for something big like the Baltic. We have 425 annually, so obviously would need to bank/borrow to do it. I'd love a brief tutorial in booking with points / cash for a family of four (two adults, two juniors)... what do you ask for? How much cash deposit is required for the 2nd adult and two kids if you just book one person with points in the room -- and is DVC Member Services in charge of your reservation when you use any points? If you book on points, can you switch it to all-cash later?

Can you book a Cat. 11 on points and then pay cash for an upgrade? We've not looked at the logistics of using points for a cruise yet - and not sure how we would actually do it for something big like the Baltic. We have 425 annually, so obviously would need to bank/borrow to do it. I'd love a brief tutorial in booking with points / cash for a family of four (two adults, two juniors)... what do you ask for? How much cash deposit is required for the 2nd adult and two kids if you just book one person with points in the room -- and is DVC Member Services in charge of your reservation when you use any points? If you book on points, can you switch it to all-cash later?

Hey Cindy! When we arrived at the Port in Barcelona July 2007 I noticed right away the sign stating the ship was full and do not ask about upgrades as a result. I would not count on it for the Baltic cruises. If there were room, then yes you could request an upgrade for cash. I suspect we will have full ships, however.

If you book one person with points in the room, and the remainder on the DVC Cash Discount, then besides the $95 booking fee, all the cash fares would be due in full the day you book with credit card over the phone.

When we book with DVC, I often make follow up calls directly to DCL via the Castaway Club phone number. They have never referred me back to MS and have always helped me out with various questions on dining rotation, etc. Now perhaps if I had to do something such as make a change in the reservation, then I may need to call MS for something like that.

If you book on cash with DCL, no you cannot change it to points later. This has been controversial since some report having done this very thing in the past. I have spoken directly to MS and have been told (more than once) that this will not be allowed and those wishing to do so will have to cancel their DCL cash ressie according to the cancellation policy revision of 8/2008 and rebook with whatever is available (if anything) through MS afterwards. I would not chance going that route. Some may try, but who knows what will happen down the road.

Hope this helps!! princess:

Saw this LINK in another cruise meet thread. Thought some would like to read up on Warnemuende....

I just found this thread! I was looking and didn't see it until this morning:laughing:

Hi everyone - I'm Lisa and I am hoping to go with my DH (Mark) and DD (Emily - 16) at time of cruise and (Rachael - 11) at time of the cruise. I "know" a couple of names here from our upcoming Christmas cruise. I hope I requested correctly - I filled out the form for DU - but just got an email saying they'd contact me next week. I really hope to be on this cruise. Does anyone have any other suggestion? I know I'm not supposed to call DCL in addition as I might end up with a duplicate reservation - but I hate to be in a stack of requests that doesn't get "booked" until the end of the week....

I just found this thread! I was looking and didn't see it until this morning:laughing:

Hi everyone - I'm Lisa and I am hoping to go with my DH (Mark) and DD (Emily - 16) at time of cruise and (Rachael - 11) at time of the cruise. I "know" a couple of names here from our upcoming Christmas cruise. I hope I requested correctly - I filled out the form for DU - but just got an email saying they'd contact me next week. I really hope to be on this cruise. Does anyone have any other suggestion? I know I'm not supposed to call DCL in addition as I might end up with a duplicate reservation - but I hate to be in a stack of requests that doesn't get "booked" until the end of the week....

Hello Lisa

I am Deborah from Scotland.

I have contact DU and they will book it for us. I just leave it until DU will email me on Tuesday.

I know that you want call DCL but it will be very busy on Tuesday.

Better leave it to DU. Did DU contact you about your quote? If so, better leave it.

Only two more days :banana: :banana:

Scottishwee35

Hi Deborah - nice to "meet you". We are from just outside of Philadelphia and a 2 hours soouth of New York City. I only got a generic response from DU - the agent I've been assigned to is on a cruise and will return tomorrow so maybe I will hear something then about getting a quote together. I will trust that it will work out.

We are planning to go early (well, at least I will go ahead) as I want to visit the area where I've traced my ancestors back to (Kinross shire) and see if I can find some church records or other information - plus I would just love to see parts of Scotland. But it just depends on so many things - so I guess the first part is waiting until Tuesday.

hello again-

I was wondering if anyone else is struggling with which category to choose? We've only sailed once, in 2 connecting cat 7's. We liked having the room and the balcony. I know that we're going for just one room due to the $$$ this time. A balcony is tempting, but so is saving points and taking an inside. Do you think because this is such a port intensive itinerary, a balcony would be foolish? Also, it might be too cool outside to enjoy it.

It's crazy to fret about something so far away, but we're using points and once you borrow, you can't undo it.

Please share your thought!!:confused:

Thanks!

Joanne

Hi Joanne - we are wondering the same thing. We are only going to do one room this time (we usually do a cat 6 with a cat 11 across the hall). I have asked for a cat 6 and then cat 7 and cat 11 as our top 3 choices. DH wants to just go for the cat 11 - but I think the light and "breathing space" of a balcony would be better - even if its just to go outside for 3 minutes while tripping over each other while getting ready for dinner.

hello again-

I was wondering if anyone else is struggling with which category to choose? We've only sailed once, in 2 connecting cat 7's. We liked having the room and the balcony. I know that we're going for just one room due to the $$$ this time. A balcony is tempting, but so is saving points and taking an inside. Do you think because this is such a port intensive itinerary, a balcony would be foolish? Also, it might be too cool outside to enjoy it.

It's crazy to fret about something so far away, but we're using points and once you borrow, you can't undo it.

Please share your thought!!:confused:

Thanks!

Joanne

Hello Joanne

We had the balcony since Panama Canal as it was awesome but we find that Batlic is quite expensive for 4 of us so we change to Cat 9.:sad2:

We had a great times at Balcony also we stayed in the Balcony while Panama Canal was brilliant too.

Oh well, cannot have everything.

Scottishwee35

Hi Deborah - nice to "meet you". We are from just outside of Philadelphia and a 2 hours soouth of New York City. I only got a generic response from DU - the agent I've been assigned to is on a cruise and will return tomorrow so maybe I will hear something then about getting a quote together. I will trust that it will work out.

We are planning to go early (well, at least I will go ahead) as I want to visit the area where I've traced my ancestors back to (Kinross shire) and see if I can find some church records or other information - plus I would just love to see parts of Scotland. But it just depends on so many things - so I guess the first part is waiting until Tuesday.

Hello Lisa

We live in Edinburgh. Hopeful you have time for Scotland before Baltic or after.

Next year my ladies friend and I (6) of us are going to New York for Xmas Shopping in Nov 09. It is my second times visit New York.

I am meeting ladies next month to arrange for hotel, airline etc.

Scottishwee35

We are from just outside of Philadelphia and a 2 hours soouth of New York City.

Hi Lisa,

Nice to meet you. I am hoping a lot more people join this thread after Tuesday when everybody books. :cool1:

I have family in Turnersville. Where are you from exactly?

We have always stayed in a cat 8, except the Mexico cruise and one other cruise we were in a 4! That was so nice.... But with these prices I think we will again do cat 8 and use points for the two of us and pay for our daughter and her friend. They said I can cancel my daughters friend up to 120 days before if it doesn't work out or even change it to another person. We have never had 4 in our room so it will be interesting to say the least. We at least will have some points left over for 2011 to save for the new ships.....:thumbsup2
We want to go somewhere before the cruise for a week or two...I say Ireland, DH is thinking Greece again, which is ok too....looks like we have time to plan that part....
We have been all over England and Scotland but that would be fun again. Our daughter hasn't seen Scotland or much of England plus she was 6 the last time she was there and she will be 20 on the cruise......
So it is time to get out the travel guides and plan!!!!:surfweb:

Which deck did you have with the cat 8? If I pick that category I can pay for myself my husband and my (then) 14 year old daughter using points. I'd only need to pay cash for the 12 year old. Hmmm.. I wish I could decide if a balcony was worth it...

Joanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter