July 3rd at MK - just *how* crazy?

Used to go all the time that time of year and it is packed beyond most any other time I have seen now living here through holiday(s). Just to throw another log on this fire, you have to keep in mind the crowd phase levels that Disney has as well. Meaning they turn people away from the parks depending on their ticket type.

All four Disney World theme parks have reached some level of closure in the past. As the most visited theme park in the world, Magic is the park most likely to experience capacity-based closures during busy times of year. Due to its size, EPCOT is the least likely to close, and has not done so in recent memory. Studios and AK rarely close, but their smaller capacities still make them more likely to close than Epcot.

To be specific, Magic closes, on average, around 6 days per year. New Year’s Eve and July 4th are always two of them, often getting up to a Phase 3 closure.

Phases & who can get in

Phase 1
Casual visitors are turned away at the automobile toll plazas. This means that people without tickets, those with one-day, single-park tickets, and those intending to use cast member passes will not be allowed to park.
  • Other guests may enter such as:
  • Those with multi-day or multi-park tickets
  • Those staying at a Disney Resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those re-entering the park that day
  • Those "hopping" from another park
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments
  • Those arriving via Disney transportation
Magic Kingdom went phase 1: December 25, 26, and 29, 2014

Phase 2
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those re-entering the park that day
  • Those "hopping" from another park
  • Those arriving via Disney transportation
Magic Kingdom went phase 2: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
Hollywood Studios went phase 2: December 29, 2009 and December 28, 2011
Animal Kingdom went phase 2: December 28, 2009 and December 28, 2011

Phase 3
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
  • Annual Passholders
Magic Kingdom went phase 3: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.

Phase 4
The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests except for these guests
  • Annual Passholders
Magic Kingdom went phase 4: April 7, 2009 (my birthday which is funny to me ... I was there)

<----- AP holder, on-site resort guest, and ADR. So I should be golden. If it somehow were to reach the point of not admitting ANYone, I wouldn't want to be let in anyway, lol! Thanks Eddie - exactly the info I wanted :thumbsup2

We'll be watching from EPCOT as usual. Easiest park to get in and out of with large crowds (to me).
ITA - that's where we'll be on the 4th. We had a great experience last year - maybe I've just spent way too much time at WDW during the busiest periods, but I was surprised by how not overly crowded EP felt. We sat down to wait for fireworks about 45mins out, but only because we were ready to park it with a snack and people watch; we could just as easily have waited until the last minute and still have sat where we were. (But we also don't care if we see the globe - just need to have a clear view in the sky!)

<----- AP holder, on-site resort guest, and ADR. So I should be golden. If it somehow were to reach the point of not admitting ANYone, I wouldn't want to be let in anyway, lol! Thanks Eddie - exactly the info I wanted :thumbsup2

Yup. Should be golden :)

No problem & agreed at this point. I was there went Magic went Phase 4 in 2009 on my birthday and it was not pleasant.

EPCOT to my knowledge has not closed at any phase for the past five years or so, if ever. The shear size of the park almost warrants that it may never. Which makes it a great pic to do fireworks on the 4th of July, or any busy, busy day for that matter.

Add me to the list of deciding where to be July 3 & 4 - We are not summer Florida people...I do not tolerate heat well...ok that being said - it is my daughters 21st birthday - we are going to disney June 25-July 5. I'm spreading it out over 11 days so that we can hit rope drop, take afternoon breaks & go back. I have my arsenal of heat aids ready. THAT being said, we will in all likelihood never be at WDW during the 4th of July again. We love fireworks. July 3rd we are going to Typhoon Lagoon for awhile, dinner at Boardwalk then heading to Epcot to watch there. Juy 4th we will be 3 of those absolutely crazy people at MK. I have TS inside the parks planned for lunch & dinner. Just to get out of the heat & the crowds. Staying from rope drop to 3am isn't a problem..Anyone have any better ideas given the details I shared?

We Will be there as well. But doing MK on 3rd and Epcot on 4th. I think you might have the days reversed as far as hours. MK is open until 3 a.m. on the night of the 3rd. And I was wondering does Epcot do their 4th of July fireworks on the 3rd and 4th like MK does? If not I would do Epcot on the 4th since the fireworks there are great And do MK on the 3rd since they do 4th of July fireworks on both nights. Hope that made sense.

Um--- UGH !!!! We have an early "BoG" BFAST ADR for the 3rd, and early FP+---- then, we are running for the hills--- managed to get an 8:35PM ADR for "Ohana", so will watching/listening to the MK fireworks from there !!!

Chicken! :teeth:

ETA: I don't blame you for heading for the poly. I have a sister who is none too pleased that I'm dragging her to the MK on the 3rd.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what time fireworks will be at DHS on the 4th? I'm wondering about my Fantasmic dinner package and whether that is going to be a problem for me?

"Independence Day" Fireworks Crowd on Main St. - July 3, 2009

MK070309bradk_CC.jpg

That was before the hub expansion. It will feel much less crowded this year now that there's so much more room for everybody.

We have gone to Disney the past few years over the July 4 holiday. We will be at MK on July 3, same as last year. I have FP's booked for the morning hours, a BoG lunch ADR, possibly more rides. However, we plan to be out of MK by dinner time this year. We're staying at the Poly so we'll eat there and watch Wishes from there. Last year, we stayed at the MK until 8:00/8:30ish and I have never been so claustrophobic in my life trying to get out of the park! Just like Robo's picture shows, it was person-to-person crowds throughout our entire effort to escape the park. Now if it's your plan to stay and watch Wishes, it might be ok if you find a nice spot and just stay there.

We are going to AK on July 4. We did this last year as well and it was perfect! We got lots of additional FP's as the park really wasn't crowded at all.

Was there last year for the 4th (see avatar pic). My wife and two daughters got there first thing and it was a good thing too, because they were turning people away by early afternoon. It was a long day, a crowded day, but very worth it in my opinion. This year we're going for the 3rd and we're going to try Epcot for the 4th. I love the 'Celebrate America' 4th fireworks which is why we're going on the 3rd since they show that show then as well. I considered last year a once in a lifetime thing, since it was so packed, but I don't know, I'd do it again thinking in hindsight. If you plan for a long, hot, crowded day and you plan accordingly, you'll be fine.

We've decided to go for it. As I said initially, we don't care where we see fireworks from on the 3rd so our plan is to hang out way in the back and hit rides while everyone else is up front for Wishes. We also plan to stay late, so crowds to get out shouldn't be an issue, either.

@Robo question for you: with the new(ish) constriction in Fantasyland, what are the the spots back there from which to see fireworks? Theoretically, could I ride 7DMT, exit and hang out in that area?

We're "all in" on the 4th as well. It's our last night - we leave around noon on the 5th. It will be our 10th day. We have TS planned for lunch & dinner in the park. Kind of one of those gotta do things for me. I can't be in another park on our last night - it has to to MK. So we'll deal with the people, & the insane heat & just make the best of it....no matter what it will still be better than driving home on the 4th

We will be there on July 3 also. We have been there many times on the 4th and are trying to avoid that huge of a crowd. We will be in Epcot on the 4th this time for the first time. We will be staying at BCV and I think it will be easier to get out and get back to the resort after the fireworks.

We have been to MK both on July 3rd and 4th and agree that the 3rd is much better than the 4th. It is actually less crowded in my opinion but still packed if you plan on watching the fireworks from Main Street. We were at Epcot on the 4th in 2013 and were stuck in a major parking lot traffic jam- it was actually worse than being in MK on the 4th- think it was a fluke parking issue but not planning on doing any park on the 4th for a long while. I hope you have a great time.

After all that, our plans have changed and we can do MK on a much less busy day, so we're now out for the 3rd and 4th. Good luck to all who are braving it!

Ohhh and one more thing to add, be prepared for mass amounts of teenage Brazilian tour groups there at that time. Who I must say are some of the most inconsiderate people I've ever encountered in the parks.

Why do you say that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter