Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

Nice to see you back updating, I didn't realize you were back from your trip.

I hope you like your new part time job!

The Grinch breakfast and character meets looks like a wonderful time. We love Suess Landing, Cat and the Hat is my favorite ride in that area!

We really enjoyed Kong in October, I thought it was visually stunning with all the special effects.

Congrats again on the that pretty new car and job. What a fun filled and fulfilling week! I'm going to high jack your post for a minute because I am too excited from my last week trip to Disneyland. I had this amazing view from my Birthday upgrade at CG! Got to meet
new furry friend! Sorry had to share was just too amazing of a trip! Plus finally overcame my chickeness and rode Screamin for the first time and procedded to ride it 4 more times in a row. To top it off became a galactic hero for the first time. If you haven't been add Disneyland to your list Gina. It is just two parks but they are so close we did everything multiply times and the weather can't be beat!

IMG_0935.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0844.JPG

Yikes!!! That's a crazy flight price :crazy2:. Have you checked Jetblue from Buffalo? Or Allegiant from NF? Surely you could almost do as well with Air Canada or Sunwing out of Toronto, without the crazy exchange rate on top.

I have a real heart for the elderly: they are always so appreciative of other people's time. I think it would be wonderful, too, that most of them would likely be from the immediate area.....not only would they be able to share their own personal stories with me, but maybe help me learn a little about this new place I'm calling home. I think they would probably be as much of a blessing to ME as I would be to them. This opportunity seems to be calling my name louder and louder.
I haven't looked at anything out of YYZ but I would imagine that the price would be similar. I much prefer SW because at this point I have a lot of points built up and I'm aiming at a trip to California with those. So I would hate to spend my money with another carrier and not get the points. Gosh, the points I would earn if I spent that $1900.....no doubt that would put us way over the top for RT's to Cali. I have enough now for 3 one ways to Cali.

When GC was small I decided that I was going to step away from my career in order to be more available to the girls. I had a name in my industry and had all the best connections. It was never my intention to end up in long term care but at the time it was work that I could do while the girls where in school and be able to pick them up when school let out. I often have friends say that they don't understand how I do what I do. Yes, there have been many times that I have looked back and thought I made a mistake but when you really get down to it I love the people that I work with. I know that I make a difference to them. I go to work every day feeling loved and appreciated. I have ladies that can't pass me without giving me a kiss or taking my hand. The absolute best was a woman that had just lost her husband of nearly 70 years and when I started to cry while talking to her about how much he would be missed, she looked at me and said "I'm so happy that I have you'. So the moral of that story is if you opt to spend time at a LTC you will be the one that reaps the blessings.

II have ladies that can't pass me without giving me a kiss or taking my hand. The absolute best was a woman that had just lost her husband of nearly 70 years and when I started to cry while talking to her about how much he would be missed, she looked at me and said "I'm so happy that I have you'. So the moral of that story is if you opt to spend time at a LTC you will be the one that reaps the blessings.

who is cutting onions in here :sad:

Seriously that is so sweet. I think that means more in this universe then a prestigious job

Seriously that is so sweet. I think that means more in this universe then a prestigious job
I agree. That lady has since passed away but I will never forget her or her words to me.

LOL...I have a lady now that when I'm mad about something I go into her room and flop on her bed. She just looks at me, laughs and shakes her head. Apparently my frustration amuses her. For some strange reason her laughing at me lifts my mood.

Hey all, just checking in (finally!!). It was a hectic week last week with my training and work shifts, but life is starting to level out a bit (I think.....or shall I say, I hope). Thanks for your patience while I figured out "life". Like @chiamarie noted above, adulting can sure get in the way of a person's fun and computer time. Hopefully, though, tomorrow I can get back at the computer and post a decent update for you all. Heaven knows its time!!

In the interim, I must say.....the 80's was an interesting musical decade for sure, but it just can't compete with the 60's. Ah, the Beatles :love:.

Why would they ever close all the major rides for the Halloween party??? That is the whole reason to pay extra to get on rides with less of a wait. Oh Disney :sad2:

No :worried:. I asked for one and they said they didn't have any. Mom bought me an stuffed LGM to celebrate.
Here you go......
IMG_2991.JPG

I have to say I was disappointed to get a sticker. I didn't know that they no longer had buttons. I would have worn the button. No way was I going to peel off my sticker and ruin it. Although, let's be real....that sticker is going to sit in a drawer for eternity.

Sunday, December 18th (the conclusion) :santa:

Heading out of the park that afternoon, we were happy to find some park photographers outside of the gates of Universal Studios, taking photos with both the standard park landmarks (the Universal globe and the grand Studios entrance) as well as holiday pictures with the Macy’s balloons. One of the photographers spotted the picture card on my lanyard and asked if we wanted some photos taken, and we happily agreed…..especially since the area was virtually deserted. How often do you get the chance for Christmas photos in high-occupancy areas with hardly a single soul in sight?

15697984_10155325076011416_4998835909626459728_n.jpg

15697261_10155325074706416_5180415518538210612_n.jpg

My Universal Photos had added special holiday borders to the options on their website (in addition to the traditional border offerings) which I thought was a wonderful seasonal touch . My favourite of them all was the snow globe.

15747510_10155325076486416_2310724951582853917_n.jpg

The drive back to our resort was quick and painless, and it felt wonderful to enter the cool air conditioning and just drop down onto the bed for a half hour and allow the body to rest and rebalance. Being up early for breakfast combined with the heat and humidity had definitely caught up with us by that point in the day. While we didn’t indulge in a full-out snooze (well, not me anyway…..Steve may have snored for a few minutes! :rolleyes1), that restful break was wonderfully therapeutic nonetheless :thumbsup2.

Before heading back to the park, we took some time to freshen up. The hot day certainly warranted a change of clothing, and it felt marvelous to wash up and comb through my hair :crazy2: (though it was still suffering, in Monica Gellar-style).

351384458d73a44b3bad5085c15c7212_the-bachelor-the-eyebrows-strike-back-the-salty-ju-monica-humidity-meme_490-326.jpeg

With us both feeling clean, fresh and rested, we returned to Universal and headed straight into the Studios. We had no problems finding a great spot in the Citywalk garages, which was a happy surprise given the fact it was now just before six o’clock and the festive time of year. We had also anticipated that it might be super busy there that night due to the fact that Mannheim Steamroller was scheduled to perform, but entering the park, we were delighted to note that crowds were surprisingly light.

15965403_10155358086061416_3205166244377508566_n.jpg

We texted Kerry, Robert and David to let them know that we were back in the park, and they said they would meet up with us within the next little while. Steve and I opted to take a tour of the park now that darkness had fallen and the whole area took on a completely different feel. In all of our visits, we had never been in the park after sunset before.

15894774_10155358072036416_363474596092999963_n.jpg

My photos don’t accurately convey how pretty the park looks once darkness falls. As awesome as some of the attractions look by day, they are even more spectacular at night ::yes::. We couldn’t resist a quick ride on the Twirl ‘n Hurl:

15940743_10155358071276416_4266184540617863857_n.jpg

….but as fun as the ride was, the best part was the view of London across the water. Gorgeous!! :worship:

15965528_10155358072111416_7051397634012609442_n.jpg

Hollywood was simply stunning, all elegant and lovely with the sparkly lights lining the street. This photo also kind of shows just how light the crowds were…….no one at all on the sidewalks, and just a scant few folks strolling leisurely down the middle of the roadway.

15965731_10155358071881416_13581392993367143_n.jpg

Being our first true visit to the Universal parks during the Christmas festivities, we were delighted to find an assortment of holiday streetmosphere characters milling about the streets of Hollywood, spreading Christmas cheer with catchy enthusiasm and happily stopping for photos with guests .

15894268_10155358071291416_6263707241889571948_n.jpg

My old camera didn’t capture the best quality pictures in the low light conditions (something the camera on my new Galaxy S7 Edge is MUCH better at!!) but we couldn’t resist snapping a few pics of the fun, anyway. Not only did these Univeral TM’s look fabulous in the Christmas costumes, but they were wonderfully in character (cue the buzzing by the friendly bees!) and their enjoyment of the night was contagious . You just couldn’t help but smile and laugh at their engaging antics and corny holiday puns.

15895008_10155358071301416_3476127572499335226_n.jpg

Christmas music was playing throughout the park, and it felt so amazingly festive and Christmassy despite the fact that temperatures were still hovering in the mid-80’s. Our friends and family in the north always wrinkle their noses when they hear that we’re planning to spend the holidays in Florida, claiming that “it can’t possibly feel like Christmas when it’s that warm outside”, but let me assure you all: it does ::yes::. Crazily, shockingly, unbelievably so. Even with the lack of cold and snow, it FEELS like Christmas in the south .

15873227_10155358071546416_9096690823217461977_n.jpg

We wound our way back up to the massive tree in New York, now fully lit and absolutely stunning against the inky black night sky . This is where we had designated to be our meeting place with Kerry and the boys, so we hovered in the general vicinity while we waited for them to arrive.

15826687_10155358071591416_476650825960212921_n.jpg

The festive streetmosphere characters were also cheerily milling about this section of the park, too, so we enjoyed some more opportunities for fun interaction and photos while we keep our eyes peeled for our friends. Steve thought the candy cane girls were particularly cute :cutie:.

15872008_10155358072311416_7316591526680889699_n.jpg

Being an admitted Christmas traditionalist, I couldn’t get enough of the live Christmas Trees:

15896415_10155358071646416_8391798552478540898_o.jpg

….and Mrs. Claus and her friendly elf were just as sweet as Santa’s Christmas cookies :p.

15894905_10155358072231416_5412226394994791419_n.jpg

Kerry, Robert and David all arrived a shortly thereafter. David was eager to ride The Mummy, so he and Steve dashed off into the queue while Kerry, Robert and I opted to continue to enjoy the festivities on the street. We strolled down to the stage where the Mannheim Steamroller concert was now underway, and enjoyed some of my favourite Christmas music of all time. Mannheim Steamroller does Christmas like no one else .

15894837_10155358071791416_5652807552861609290_n.jpg

15873033_10155358071746416_8860589094236265645_n.jpg

Steve and David emerged from The Mummy with matching huge grins on their faces. Neither of those two can get enough of that coaster, and their enthusiasm….and their friendship….. was heartwarming. These two became fast friends on that trip, and the admiration between the two of them was mutual :goodvibes. Generally speaking, for the balance of that week, wherever Steve went, his buddy David was not far behind.

15781479_10155325076116416_2416009309441549003_n.jpg

David wanted to ride again, and Steve was only too happy to oblige. Kerry, Robert and I found a bench in Central Park, and enjoyed the concert music while the boys indulged in a second ride. A few minutes later they emerged, once again with matching grins from ear to ear :teeth:. Steve was especially proud that he remembered where the photo was taken on the ride this time, so he could add his own personal…..albeit silly…..element to the picture :rolleyes:.

15727319_10155325075066416_1829250667709589469_n.jpg

We wandered back down to the concert area once again, taking in more of that incredible music from the outer edge of the crowd while we debated our options for dinner. The night was marching on, and us old poops were starting to feel it (David, on the other hand, could have danced the night away for hours and hours yet :dance3:). Robert suggested we head back to their resort, Portofino Bay, and have dinner at the pasta buffet at Mama Dellas before calling it a night. Steve and I *love* Italian food, and we had never been to Portofino Bay before, so we were immediately sold. We headed out of the park, boarded a water taxi in Citywalk, and made our way to Portofino Bay.

Once again, I must apologize at this point for the complete lack of dinner photos :o. I will blame it, for the second time, on the fact that we were just too wrapped up in the great conversation and heartwarming company of good friends. We talked, we laughed, we ate and we drank…..but one thing we DIDN’T do is take any pictures. For that, I am truly sorry!

So….use your imagination here, my friends. Picture a comfortable setting, a hot pasta bar featuring a variety of noodles, sauces, mix-ins, and meats, and professional chefs behind the glass waiting to create your own personalized bowl of hot, flavourful Italian awesomeness. As much as you want, as many times as you want, in any way that you want. In addition to the pasta bar, there was a surprisingly large antipasto buffet which was also included, and an assortment of freshly baked breads. Absolutely delicious and a very reasonable $25.99 per person (less 10% with our passmember discount). Not only was our company top-notch, but this meal was one we would absolutely do again :thumbsup2.

After dinner, we walked through the piazza to Kerry and Robert’s suite for a tour…..and wow :eek:. It was gorgeous. I hope that @dsmom drops by and posts a photo or two of their beautiful digs, if she happened to take a few pictures that she is willing to share. Not only did they have an abundance of space with some wonderful, high quality finishings, they had an expansive balcony with an incredible view. I think if I were them, I would have slept on the balcony just because I wouldn’t have wanted to go inside!! :laughing:

It was late when we finally bid Kerry and the boys good night, and we were dead on our feet as we made our way to our vehicle. The roads were quiet and the commute back to the Grande Vista was mercifully speedy and uneventful. Once back inside our villa, we literally dropped everything in a pile and fell into bed. We were too full and too tired to move one single inch further :faint:.

Visions of sugarplums danced in our heads all night long, and we rested fitfully…….which was a good thing, because the following day was also scheduled to be chock-full of festive fun. SeaWorld was on the vacation itinerary, and we had plans that would take us from park opening to park close: everything from The Dolphin Encounter and the Wild Arctic Tour to the Christmas Celebration events including a much-anticipated dinner with Santa .

15895136_10155363253346416_3241988658107807420_n.jpg

Our festive adventures continue up next!

For a "short" update that was lovely and long :)

We've never tried a brookie (in fact I hadn't ever noticed that they existed) so I think I may need to fix that next month.

I'm glad you enjoyed Kong - it's certainly something that seems like it's going to be much more intense and scary than it is. I can imagine that some children might be a bit intimidated though!

Definitely have a brookie.....they are a great little snack!! If you're a chocolate lover, then you'll find them quite enjoyable :teeth:.

I agree on Kong....the queue was quite possibly the "scariest" part. The scareactors popping out from the shadows made me jump far more than the ride :scared:.

I'm glad you liked Kong. The first time we rode Duncan refused to ride and the big Kong at the end was frozen. When we went back in Feb. we told Duncan he had to ride and he LOVED it!

Duncan rode Kong? That is awesome!! :banana: That was quite an accomplishment for him and must have taken a LOT of courage on his part!

Congrats on the new job and the new ride!! Exciting stuff. The brookie sounds divine, will have to try that on our next trip. A combination of two of my favorites. That is what I love about reading trip reports, finding things like this that I might never have discovered on my own. Just catching up on your report. We returned a few days ago from a four day trip to the beach in the Florida panhandle with family and friends. Good time and memories made! :beach:

:welcome: back! (though I know that sentiment is rather belated......I am finally starting to get caught up a bit, though) So happy to hear you had a fun time away. How was the weather? Still super hot down there?

I don't know why but I thought Kong was a big roller coaster :confused3 must have dreamt that one!

Nope, no roller coaster elements at all (can I hear a hallelujah from the crowd? ;)) . Strictly a simulator, and happily not a sickness-inducing one at all.

I'm glad you're getting more adventurous with the rides (I'm sure Steve is glad too!) So true about the Bilge Rat Barges - I have never been on a ride that soaked me like that one did! Now my husband is really wary of all water rides: "Hey, this isn't like that ride at Universal where you get SOAKED, is it?" :rotfl2: And congratulations on your new job!

Thank you for the congrats! :goodvibes

Steve is thrilled that I'm mustering up my courage and giving a few new rides a try. It really has impacted our park days in a very positive way. Long overdue on my part, for sure!

Nice to see you back updating, I didn't realize you were back from your trip.

I hope you like your new part time job!

The Grinch breakfast and character meets looks like a wonderful time. We love Suess Landing, Cat and the Hat is my favorite ride in that area!

We really enjoyed Kong in October, I thought it was visually stunning with all the special effects.

Yes, I've been back, but not a very good trip reporter since flying home :guilty:. I am going to try and do better with my updates from here. We are heading back to Canada this weekend to visit Jake, my mom, and Steve's parents, but hopefully I should be able to add some entries more regularly thereafter :thumbsup2.

Congrats again on the that pretty new car and job. What a fun filled and fulfilling week! I'm going to high jack your post for a minute because I am too excited from my last week trip to Disneyland. I had this amazing view from my Birthday upgrade at CG! Got to meet
new furry friend! Sorry had to share was just too amazing of a trip! Plus finally overcame my chickeness and rode Screamin for the first time and procedded to ride it 4 more times in a row. To top it off became a galactic hero for the first time. If you haven't been add Disneyland to your list Gina. It is just two parks but they are so close we did everything multiply times and the weather can't be beat!

View attachment 237967 View attachment 237968 View attachment 237966 View attachment 237965

I am so glad you had such a great time!! The west coast parks have been on my vacation wish-list for a while now. I never thought to check flight prices and options from Detroit since we moved, but maybe its time for a peek to see what kind of costs we are looking at. I'd love to do both the Disney and Universal parks in California. And Knott's Berry Farm. Oh yeah, and the beach. I've never seen the Pacific coast!

I haven't looked at anything out of YYZ but I would imagine that the price would be similar. I much prefer SW because at this point I have a lot of points built up and I'm aiming at a trip to California with those. So I would hate to spend my money with another carrier and not get the points. Gosh, the points I would earn if I spent that $1900.....no doubt that would put us way over the top for RT's to Cali. I have enough now for 3 one ways to Cali.

When GC was small I decided that I was going to step away from my career in order to be more available to the girls. I had a name in my industry and had all the best connections. It was never my intention to end up in long term care but at the time it was work that I could do while the girls where in school and be able to pick them up when school let out. I often have friends say that they don't understand how I do what I do. Yes, there have been many times that I have looked back and thought I made a mistake but when you really get down to it I love the people that I work with. I know that I make a difference to them. I go to work every day feeling loved and appreciated. I have ladies that can't pass me without giving me a kiss or taking my hand. The absolute best was a woman that had just lost her husband of nearly 70 years and when I started to cry while talking to her about how much he would be missed, she looked at me and said "I'm so happy that I have you'. So the moral of that story is if you opt to spend time at a LTC you will be the one that reaps the blessings.

Aw, man. Those kinds of stories just squeeze the heart. Bless you for doing what you do. You obviously hold a very special place in the lives of many of your clients.

Amen, sister ::yes::.

Congrats on the new job!! That is really exciting :)

Thank you! The job itself is not so exciting :rolleyes: but it is nice to have a bit more of a purpose after such a long hiatus.

I agree. That lady has since passed away but I will never forget her or her words to me.

LOL...I have a lady now that when I'm mad about something I go into her room and flop on her bed. She just looks at me, laughs and shakes her head. Apparently my frustration amuses her. For some strange reason her laughing at me lifts my mood.

Something tells me that you make a lot of people laugh! I know you bring me a regular giggle.

Psst - @dancin Disney style - I think Gina is really busy with her new job so we're unsupervised again. Can we start the party back up? I'll bring the 80's music!

View attachment 238665

Hey there Missy, I'm watching you :magnify:. Momma might have stepped away from the party but my spies continue to monitor the rowdies ;).

I can imagine you were a real handful as a teenager :p.

Nobody - and I mean nobody - wants to see me dancing. However, I can sing the hell out of some hair band music. And my air guitar? That is something to see!!! :rockband:

Oh, oh!! I want to see you dance!! C'mon, just a quick move or two. Pretty please?

I was born with two left feet, so you will get nothing but applause from me. I consider it a win if my dance partner is limping off the floor with a broken toe, and no one stopped to stare and point :o.

No :worried:. I asked for one and they said they didn't have any. Mom bought me an stuffed LGM to celebrate.

How sweet of your mom!! :goodvibes

Why would they ever close all the major rides for the Halloween party??? That is the whole reason to pay extra to get on rides with less of a wait. Oh Disney :sad2:

There have since been posts that 7DMT and Big Thunder will now be open (Splash was going to be down for refurb either way). It's making me rethink whether or not I want to splurge for tickets. I'm still on the fence.......decisions, decisions.

Here you go......
View attachment 238872

I have to say I was disappointed to get a sticker. I didn't know that they no longer had buttons. I would have worn the button. No way was I going to peel off my sticker and ruin it. Although, let's be real....that sticker is going to sit in a drawer for eternity.

I am always afraid of losing those little vacation souvenirs, so I normally end up putting them inside the covers of the hard cover photo albums that I do after each trip. I am a bit of a pack rat when it comes to memories, and keep everything from our boarding passes to our mini golf score sheets. They all get attached to the inside of the covers, along with my cost breakdown for the vacation.

Great update!
Glad to hear job is going well.

Your TRs are making me much more excited for our Thanksgiving trip than August trip. It has been decades since we've been in any parks over Holidays and that was only at MK and we were working much of it. I don't care that it will be crowded beyond belief-we will be offsite in our 2 bed condo and able to hide from people if we want LOL!

And absolutely check out west coast trip. I haven't been to Disneyland yet either-priced out a trip last year over Halloween season and it came to about half what it would have cost for same length at WDW. Unfortunately with band season with the kids it will be a while before we can go...

:welcome: back! (though I know that sentiment is rather belated......I am finally starting to get caught up a bit, though) So happy to hear you had a fun time away. How was the weather? Still super hot down there?

The weather was great! Not too hot at all. It can get hot during the summer months, but there is always a breeze blowing off the gulf so it is not too bad. Not as hot as it can get in Orlando during the summer. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter