Johnny, Julie & Joshua - March 2012, part1

JohnnySharp2

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a
Hiya,

This is the start of my trip report for our recent holiday.

It was our second at Disneyland Paris, after our Hotel New York stay last August.

Our background is that we have been to Florida 12 times, 7 with our son Joshua, and now twice to Disneyland Paris.
He is autistic, non verbal. Despite our love of all things Florida - we went there on honeymoon in 1990 and have been going back ever since, being lucky to have travelled to most parts of the Sunshine State - we were drawn to DLRP because we now find the long flights to the US so hard with Josh, who has been ill on our 2 most recent flights, he also has a mild epilepsy condition.
He is a wonderful, happy and playful little boy who despite not being able to 'really understand Disney', has had so much fun on his holidays over the years - I think as he gets older, and we do!, it's just hard for him travelling all the way to the US. Hence that's why our last 2 holidays have been to Paris. He is reluctant to eat or drink anything on the plane, Julie says flying "does something to him", that sounds daft but I can't put it a better way for some strange reason.

We really enjoyed our first Paris holiday overall, though without comparing too much there were aspects I didn't particularly enjoy that much - I don't really like the Disney Village for example.

However, we found a special offer for 4 nights at the Disneyland Hotel and just thought it was too hard to resist - hence a second visit in March 2012.
4 nights at DLH from 26th.
We did a similar plan to last year, 1st night at Ashford International Hotel, 4 nights Disney, 1 night Ashford again.
Whilst it's a good 4 hour drive to Kent, Joshua loves it in the car and travelling on the Sunday meant little traffic. The reverse in theory was good too as we would be travelling back home on the Saturday - hence both ways ensuring a smooth journey.
So we set off around 10am on Sunday the 25th, arriving in Kent around 2.15 pm approx

It's a nice hotel, free wi-fi pleasant rooms, nice bar and excellent breakfast buffet. There is also a Sainsbury's next door and it's a short taxi ride to the train station. As we were also staying there the last night, our car remained in the hotel car park for the duration.
We didn't do too much in the afternoon and as last year, decided to opt for some room service which again was splendid. Julie had a burger, Joshua had jacket potato and beans, I had Fish n Chips - all well presented and very large portions.

The first night didn't quite go as planned, Joshua didn't settle or sleep that well and hence was up at 02:30 in the morning :rolleyes: He has always been an early riser but this was mega early (I suppose part of the reason why Florida villa's have been good for us, in terms of space & more specifically no people in the next room!).

We got a Taxi to the station for our 10:58 Eurostar departure, I must have looked suspect as they chose my messenger bag as the one they would completely empty - iPad, Josh's portable DVD player and all!

The journey was very pleasant , and back to the reason we came, no stress or worry with the boy at all who was smiling, happy watching DVDs all the way. As I said earlier the train travel suits us much more than the long haul flights.
Some of the people who travel though get on my nerves, I really don't get why people stand up in the aisles for the entire journey :confused3 or let their kid's run amok too - often blocking other passengers.
That aside for us it's a stress free, enjoyable way of travelling and in 2 hours we were at Disney.

Again for us this is where it all makes sense as within 10-15 minutes we were walking through reception at the Disneyland Hotel, which will be part 2 of the report, much more plus many photos to follow.

Have to say it was a brilliant week overall.

Thanks for reading. :)

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Great start :thumbsup2

We've one Ashford a few times before Eurostar - completely stress free :)

Look forward to hearing more.

Hi Johnny!

Can't wait to read more and see your pics :)

Finally got around to reading this!

I love travelling by Eurostar too, it's just seems so much more civilised than flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter