• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Johnny,Julie & Joshua - March 2012, DLH

JohnnySharp2

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a
Hiya,

You will see from part 1 we are staying at the DLH for 4 nights from 26th March.

Have to say I had a look around the hotel the previous year and was impressed.
From the moment we all arrived we knew we were in a special place.
Even at check in eyeore came over to put his arm around Joshua. :)

We were given a ground floor room on the west wing, room number 3070. The lady on reception was pleasant and helpful and explained where the room would be. Our immediate concern was it seemed like a bit of a trek, having to first go in the lift to the second floor and walk all the way down to the other end.
In reality it wasn't that bad at all, and even if it was the hallways are so well decorated and classy that it's a pleasant walk anyway!

In actual fact there was no need to return to reception, a short walk from our room was an exit point where we were literally yards from the park entrance.
That's where this hotel really makes sense - you are literally at the park gates. How cool is that?

This was our room, and a few photo's from outside:
P1010033.jpg

P1010021-2.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010003-2.jpg

P1010035-1.jpg

P1010072.jpg

P1010075-2.jpg

The patio was a real bonus, Joshua loved sitting out there, in addition we had clear blue skies all week which with the hotel really made the week extremely enjoyable. It was very pleasant.

I can only think of one fault, the wi fi doesn't work in the room, which is a bit poor considering the status of the hotel.

Maid service was excellent, and they always returned late in the day to put chocolates on the bed, which was a really nice touch.

The breakfast buffet was awesome, fantastic - a vast array of yoghurts, rolls, pastries, cereals, hot items such as bacon, beans, scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausages, hash browns and tomatoes - it was extremely enjoyable and we all loved dining there each morning, normally just before 9am:

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010010-3.jpg

The characters were there, to be honest Joshua does not really know who they are or understand them, however what I thought was cool is they came over to us a few times in the lobby outside the Inventions restaurant - it was like we weren't making a fuss, rushing over to them and they could see we had a child with special needs, I honestly think they 'got that' and because we weren't pushy or anything they came over to us. I really liked that, and we had a special moment when Dale (or was it Chip!) came over to us.
Whilst Joshua can walk he cannot do so for long distances, hence we take a wheelchair with us for when we go to the park - Dale ran up behind us, put his arm around Joshua for a hug and then pushed his chair along....how cool is that! It is something we will never ever forget and they are actually holding hands:

P1010047.jpg

P1010019-3.jpg

I liked the Cafe Fantasia bar for a cool evening drink, price of beer is extremely expensive but sometimes you have to just soak up the location, ambience etc and ignore that fact, I was on holiday and rarely go out drinking at home.
It's a lovely place to unwind in the evening:

P1010018-1.jpg

Overall I have to say it's a fantastic hotel, the staff and characters were wonderful, room lovely, breakfast fab. Joshua really enjoyed himself here which is very important to us. The fact the park was so closeby and the weather so nice were just the cherry on the cake as it were.

Joshua even wanting to go out in the evening, which he has never (or rarely) wanted to do in Florida.

Disneyland Hotel gets a big thumbs up for me. :thumbsup2

Lovely photos, am so glad you guys enjoyed yourselves! I cannot believe how big Joshua is, they grow up so fast.

I'd love to stay at that hotel one day but its just so outside the stratosphere of our budget - one day though!

So is the breakfast serves in 'Inventions' at the DLH? We'd like to pay to have breakfast there but weren't sure. And do the characters come into the restaurant or stay just outside in the lobby?

Lovely photos, am so glad you guys enjoyed yourselves! I cannot believe how big Joshua is, they grow up so fast.

I'd love to stay at that hotel one day but its just so outside the stratosphere of our budget - one day though!

So is the breakfast serves in 'Inventions' at the DLH? We'd like to pay to have breakfast there but weren't sure. And do the characters come into the restaurant or stay just outside in the lobby?

Hi,

The breakfast is at Inventions yes. In my opinion it's well worth paying for, and was for us better than the Hotel New York breakfast the previous year.

Mostly the characters, when we were there, just stayed outside. I suppose for some that may be a downside but where we were sat (close to the actual food), there isn't a great deal of room for the characters to mingle, it could be a shade chaotic if they were at the tables too.
Whether that's how it always works I am not sure, but we didn't see many of them around the tables.

Ahhhh - that looks lovely!

Glad you had a great trip :-) The weather was a real bonus! :goodvibes

DLH is on my "To Do List" for my next big birthday... ;)

I can't wait to stay here, I just know it is going to be so great being so near to the park. I think one of the best bits is being inside the bag check:goodvibes

Hi Johnny! Haven't Ben around in while, so glad you enjoyed the DLH, it is a beautiful hotel, I adore I, so glad you all did too. :goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed the hotel - we treated ourselves for my 50th last year and we weren't disappointed. Having to slum it this year again though! :rotfl:
Dale ran up behind us, put his arm around Joshua for a hug and then pushed his chair along....how cool is that! It is something we will never ever forget and they are actually holding hands:

P1010047.jpg
Priceless :cloud9:

I liked the Cafe Fantasia bar for a cool evening drink, price of beer is extremely expensive but sometimes you have to just soak up the location, ambience etc and ignore that fact, I was on holiday and rarely go out drinking at home.
Snap - when you stop to think about it the price of drinks in Cafe Fantasia is :scared1: but DH and I work on the same principal that as we rarely go out at home, usually just for birthdays, we can splash out on holiday.

Thanks for sharing. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter