• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

John and Kevin's California / Hawaiian (working) Vacation News

I had an aunt that wanted to go to Hawaii but wouldn't fly. She said she would go when they built a bridge LOL. When I was younger we went alot but we haven't been there in 20 years. Maybe it's time for another visit.

We also wanted to live there. Now our more realistic goal is Florida.

I had an aunt that wanted to go to Hawaii but wouldn't fly. She said she would go when they built a bridge LOL. When I was younger we went alot but we haven't been there in 20 years. Maybe it's time for another visit.

We also wanted to live there. Now our more realistic goal is Florida.

i used to look through the real estate ads.....incredibly high prices for even a hole in the ground :eek:
i wonder if the real estate bubble also burst in hawaii? or maybe it wasn't a bubble there....
oh well - in my next life....:goodvibes

Why does everything in Hawaii begin with a K and have an apostrophe in it?

Street names, people's names, restaurant names - it's all K'ah'loonie'lakki'poo or something.

We passed by the Apple store and I think I heard someone purchase a K'iPad......
That is too funny! K'Disney store too??

Have a great time, can't wait to hear more!

-Sergio

I can think of two ABC Stores on Maui, and I'm sure there are many, many more. The two I'm thinking of are in Kihei and Kahului (there are those K words again :lmao:)

ABC Stores are souvenier shops that cater to tourists. They sell every kitschy, tacky, cliched stereotyped Hawaiian souvenier that you can possibly imagine.

But they were a good source for Macadamia Nut Liqueuer..... I'm not sure they make it any more.

Pearl Harbor is an amazing experience - and I really shouldn't mention it in a post about ABC stores. You can take a bus there from Waikiki if you don't have a car.

But they were a good source for Macadamia Nut Liqueuer..... I'm not sure they make it any more.

Pearl Harbor is an amazing experience - and I really shouldn't mention it in a post about ABC stores. You can take a bus there from Waikiki if you don't have a car.

Oh I agree. They are a good source for many things. They do sell tacky items, but many tourists, especially first timers, want to buy that stuff.

On my most recent visit to Hawai'i I found a really nice Aloha shirt at an ABC Store and subsequently wore it to a lu'au later in that same trip.

Got the page bookmarked. Can't wait to see pics of Aulani.
You guys are so funny with your updates. Glad to hear you are having a good time. I have been to Maui, Kauai, Oahu & Molokai. Just love Hawaii & need to go back since DH has never been!

I'd give anything to be on that beach right now! Just beautiful! Enjoy it boys!!! :thumbsup2

Oooh now I want to visit Hawaii so badly! What a wonderful trip, first CA and Disneyland and now Hawaii :thumbsup2! Exciting! I'm really looking forward to the next podcast and hearing all about your trip :goodvibes!

:grouphug: I'm sure it was a powerful place. Someday I hope to be able to visit there. It will be a definite side trip if we make it to Aulani.

My aunt and uncle were stationed there during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Everyone in the family was fine, but shortly after that they shipped the wives and kids stateside for safety. After Pearl Harbor my aunt and the kids lived all over Europe with my uncle during the war. He was killed near the end of the war over Greece I believe - or maybe that's where my aunt was living at the time his plane was shot down. Her stories are fascinating. I know she went been back to see the memorial in the 70's.

God bless your uncle, and his family who sacrificed their time with him while he fought and ultimately paid the highest price. You must be very proud. If I ever do get to Hawaii and I really hope I do, I will certainly visit the site of Pearl Harbor.

Hey guys I hope you two are having a blast in my favorite place in the world (besides WDW, of course)....

Of course you know I have some shopping tips :thumbsup2

If you have a Costco card and a car, RUN, don't walk, there. They have coffee roasting machines in the one in Honolulu and you can get Kona coffee cheap (well, at least less than standard souvenier spots! Plus it's nice to be able to walk around the store and see how the locals eat...pick up a few things here and there...(we were there during their '09 holiday gift season so everything was packaged up nicely too). They also carry macadamia chocolates cheaper than the ABC stores and in larger quantities!

Also, remember you can actually pack pineapples in your checked bags - they do NOT have to be purchased at the airport and aren't the "declarable" type of fruit. Thanks to the agricultural inspectors @HNL for the money saving tip. Most groceries sell them for less than $3-$4 each and maui golds are awesome!!!

Enjoy the macadamia nut pancakes!!! There is nothing like it...we bought a bag of the nuts from costco in HNL and then made pancakes at home...stretched out our Hawaiian experience when paired with coconut syrup. If you like granola, you might enjoy the Anahola granola, made in the islands as well. It's super tasty...

Thanks for the updates!

Oahu is such a beautiful island! Funny thing, I don't think of Ko Olina as one of the best places. I understand why Disney built there....calm waters and allowable building site, but I hate that it's on a man made lagoon.

I don't know if you have a car, but head to Lanikai if you want to see one of the world's most beautiful beaches. We always stay there when we go to Oahu. :)

Why does everything in Hawaii begin with a K and have an apostrophe in it?

Street names, people's names, restaurant names - it's all K'ah'loonie'lakki'poo or something.

We passed by the Apple store and I think I heard someone purchase a K'iPad......

A little info on the K's!

The Hawaiian language was an oral tradition. The Hawaiian alphabet (piapa), was written by 19th century missionaries. The alphabet contains 12 letters: 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and 7 consonants (h, k, l, m, n, p, w). To simplify pronunciation, sound consonants as in English and break up words so they are easy to say e.g., Waianapanapa sounds like Wai-a-napa-napa

Kevin,

I have never been to Oahu but I was just in Maui in May. You really need to see that island, its amazing! My partner and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency.

The food in Hawaii is some of the best food I have ever had. I'm not a huge seafood/fish eater but I have to say that I probably ate more seafood in 9 days than I have in my entire life. Make sure you try a traditional Hawaiian luch called a mixed plate.....so delicious!

I'm so excited to hear about the new resort and see pictures. We are new DVC members and were thinking about using our points to stay there someday.

Keep up the good work and try to relax some....you are in paradise!

We just finished visiting Pearl Harbor and we were looking for someplace for a really simple lunch.

We found a place called Anna Millers.....think Marie Calendars or Perkins.

We had a very "local" dinner last night and wee looking for a tuna melt or something similar.

I'm sitting here eating banana macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup.

These are INCREDIBLE.

Did you get a side of Spam with that? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter