Jetblue carryon question

Chaoster

Mouseketeer
I was wondering how strict jetblue is with their carryon policy. I flew southwest last year. I noticed southwest carryon measurements are slightly larger then jetblue. Will the bag I used as carryon for southwest be acceptable for jetblue ?

Sw does seem a bit more lax... not exactly sure but perhaps ck the website to "see" the measurements?

Better safe than sorry. Safe travels!

From JetBlue http://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

Each customer may bring onboard one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) plus one carry-on bag.

All carry-on bags must not exceed 22" L (55.88 cm) x 14" W (35.56 cm) x 9" H (22.86 cm), including wheels/handles, on all of our aircraft types. This may be stowed in the overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

All personal items must not exceed 17" L (43.2 cm) x 13" W (33 cm) x 8" H (20.32 cm), including wheels/handles, on all of our aircraft types. Personal items must be placed underneath the seat in front of you.

Don't know for sure about JetBlue, since we usually do SW, which as PP mentioned are pretty lax about your carry-ons and personal items, another reason we like them! But I do not believe they are going to be whipping out a tape measure. I think as long as it is a standard size that fits in the bin you will be OK. I know I did the same thing when DS and DH had to fly Spirit one leg of their trip this yr., and just took carry-ons for a soccer tournament to only pay for one piece of luggage. I was unsure the measurements would work as ours seemed bigger, even though they were standard carry-on bags, and even for personal items, which seemed like a very small number that might not include DS's backsack! They were all fine, so I am guessing you will be OK. Hopefully an experienced JetBlue flyer will comment for you.

My dh and I use our same bags for both airlines and never have a problem. They are typical size bags.

As long as your carryon is pretty close to the sizer they provide you should be fine. It also depends on the aircraft as there is more room in the A320/321 in the overheads. Just make sure you don't over pack your carry on thats where most people get in to trouble (expanding all sections). Give yourself a little wiggle room. Also if the jetblue flight is full they will ask for volunteers to check a bag free of charge at the gate, with the bag going all the way to your final destination if this is a possible option. Hope that helps a little.

Okay thanks. Last year flew southwest and no problem. This year flying jetblue and I looked on their site and noticed the carry on size is a little smaller than SW. I was trying to be cheap and buy tickets without the check in luggage to save a few bucks.

As long as your carryon is pretty close to the sizer they provide you should be fine. It also depends on the aircraft as there is more room in the A320/321 in the overheads. Just make sure you don't over pack your carry on thats where most people get in to trouble (expanding all sections). Give yourself a little wiggle room. Also if the jetblue flight is full they will ask for volunteers to check a bag free of charge at the gate, with the bag going all the way to your final destination if this is a possible option. Hope that helps a little.

Exactly this. Our last flight out of BWI the boarding was slow because they made EVERYONE put their carryon bags in the "measuring bin". First time I ever saw them do that. Also keep in mind it really does depend what type of plane you're on. You should check. Are you on an Airbus (seats 3 x 3) or an Embraer (seats 2 x 2). If the small one, the overhead bins drop down and don't hold much. We seldom do carryon ourselves (free baggage for us), but have occassionally.

I think the goal (this is per my DH) is to be able to fit 3 pieces of luggage, or is it 4, in the overhead bins so if someone has a slightly longer bag they would have to turn it sideways for the bin to shut which would mean less luggage in the overhead.

So I tend to stick to the measurements because of that. Last April when we flew both ways they asked for people to check their carry on for free, so we did on the way to FL. The way back we were going to do it but when my DH went up to the counter with our bags no one was there.

Would a lightly packed backpack (not bursting out) be allowed as a personal item? Not the carryon but the personal item? Since you can have a carryon as well as a personal item?

Would a lightly packed backpack (not bursting out) be allowed as a personal item? Not the carryon but the personal item? Since you can have a carryon as well as a personal item?

There are measurements listed. It has to fit clearly under the seat in front of you you and not interfer with your feet. If it fits you should be fine. I use a regular size jansport backpack as my personal items, but it's not full, but fits fine.

I had to fly a few times last summer due to a family emergency, and most of the time used JetBlue. There were a couple of times when passengers were asked to have their carry ons stowed in the cargo hold. They took them at the bottom of the ramp, just before boarding the plane. Personal items were allowed to be carried on. (A medium sized backpack is fine.) Just make sure that any items you want during the flight (books, electronic media, puzzle magazines, snacks, etc.) are in your personal item, because if they stash your carry on, you won't see it again until you exit the plane.

Jetblue is my prefered airline. Depending on the flight crew, airport crew, and just how they seem to be feeling that day Jetblue can be very strict. We have one bag that always fits properly (not sideways) even on the little jumper planes but is a quarter of an inch too big for their measuring box. When the pre-security crew has checked it they asked us to pay. We did say we've flown with this bag many times and if we get to the airplane and it doesn't fit properly we'll gladly check it there. We only put up a fight because I literally use that bag on every flight even just weekend trips as it is lightweight and can fit a lot in a carry on. The boarding crew has seen that bag at least 50 times and has never made us check it and it has never had to be turned sideways. We also always use our backpack as personal items. Thing is they have to fit under the seat so make sure it is loose. We've only ever had a problem that one time.

I will say I have seen them checking bags more and more but they usually go for the clearly too big bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter