Jedi Training- how difficult to get a spot?

Meldev

DIS Veteran
How hard is it to get a spot in Jedi training these days?

We attempted to rope drop back in April and it didn't work out. But I've seen conflicting reports about easier availability so I was hoping for some DIS insight.

Right now we have a PPO H&V res mainly to get that Jedi Training spot; however, this trip was a last minute addition due to a gymnastics competition, I really don't want to spend too much on dining if I can avoid it. I have what I feel is a "necessary" PPO at GG for our Saturday Epcot day, and do not want to drop that one.

Thoughts?

If you rope drop, you should get a spot. If you devise a way to sign up before rope drop, you should get the exact time slot you want.
If you do neither, it's a roll of the dice. I do believe they offer stand by options in case of "no shows."

Back in April, did you not make it for rope drop, OR, did you not get a spot even though you were at rope drop?

The key is to be there well before rope drop. That way you're at the front of the line. Showing up at 9 puts you way at the back. We've always arrives at DHS around 45-60 min early to make sure we're one of the first people in line if we're headed to JTA.

If you rope drop, you should get a spot. If you devise a way to sign up before rope drop, you should get the exact time slot you want.
If you do neither, it's a roll of the dice. I do believe they offer stand by options in case of "no shows."

Back in April, did you not make it for rope drop, OR, did you not get a spot even though you were at rope drop?
We were there at rope drop and ran in but didn't get a spot - that particular day was projected to be a level 6 crowd; but turned out to be a level 10 per Touring Plans. We've never waited so long for anything as we did in DHS that day. Even giving up an hour and a half into TSM with more Than halfway to go. That's why I wondered what more normal days might be like. Maybe we'll keep that breakfast...

Any other recent experiences? We're there on a Wed in Feb with a crowd level 4 predicted. Is rope drop necessary? Is running necessary?

Do they generally open the gates earlier than 9am?

Thanks

Any other recent experiences? We're there on a Wed in Feb with a crowd level 4 predicted. Is rope drop necessary? Is running necessary?

Do they generally open the gates earlier than 9am?

Thanks
They always open the gates before 9:00. They hold you at internal ropes but yes, they will let you scan through earlier.

Rope drop is necessary, running is not. Nor is walking fast.
We were there Thanksgiving weekend and watched them still have spots at 10:30, when we checked in for our show

Is rope drop necessary? Is running necessary?

No.

The new show has much more availability and is usually has openings to 10 am and later. The earlier you arrive the earlier show you will get so unless you want an early show, no need to show up pre rope drop anymore.

No.

The new show has much more availability and is usually has openings to 10 am and later. The earlier you arrive the earlier show you will get so unless you want an early show, no need to show up pre rope drop anymore.
I wouldn't agree with this.

If JTA is a must-have experience, show up pre-RD. When spots are gone, they're gone. The lines eat time even showing up later. Because there is no way to predict crowd composition on any given day, it is entirely possible to not get a spot showing at 10. If the Home School Jedi Convention shows up with a horde of 7-10 year old boys at 8:50, you're left out. Capacity doesn't get added if there is a rush at rope drop.

If you are comfortable with getting remainder/risking no spot at all, show up whenever. If it's must-do, act like it. And that means being there early.

The day we were there in fall, there were no slots left by 10AM.

are they still letting ppo adr's at hollywood and vine sign up early? honestly it is the only reason I do that breakfast....although sure would be nicer if miles was there instead of handy manny......

When we were there in November we signed up during EMM (but this does not appear to be offered any more). I will say that whilst we were queuing to get into the park at 7.45 for EMM, quite a few people were already in the regular queue for a 9am park opening, so if it's important get there seriously early. I was also talking to a lady who said she queued two hours to get a spot for her kid, so while your chances of getting a spot may be good, you may waste a lot of early morning park time signing up if you are not near the front of the line. (But you will be compensated with a FP)

I would say keep the PPO reservation, if you're able to, or definitely get there early! My husband had our 2 boys in line (inside the park) by 9:02 on last Wednesday, March 1st. They were able to snag spots in the second to last show. They waited over an hour to get those spots and were given an anytime fast passes for waiting (and missing out on other rides for that first hour). Good luck!

The last time we went, we had PPO at Sci Fi. I took the boys out of the restaurant and we went straight to Jedi Training sign up at Rope Drop. They held us at a rope outside the restaurant until the music changed, indicating rope drop at the front of the park. We had an advantage in that we were closer to the sign ups than those at the front, and that we weren't fighting crowds. We were in the first Jedi Training of the day.

Does the line cross in front of Hollywood and Vine or go straight up the Main Street and turn left towards Frozen Ever After? Trying to help out friends who will be visiting their very first Disney park the day they want to do Jedi Training.

We had an 8:00 AM H&V PPO breakfast last week. They let everyone with breakfast reservations in at 7:50 AM. Jedi Training Sign-ups were open, and we easily got signed up before checking in for our breakfast. We were not given extra fastpasses.

There was already a separate line of about 30 people who did NOT have breakfast reservations at the gate when we were let in. Around 8:30, they must have let everyone in because we saw, from our table at H&V, masses of people huffing it past the restaurant headed to sign-ups. When we saw that the streets were filling up with rope droppers, we cut our breakfast a little short (we had all eaten plenty, but had not met the last character). We left the restaurant around 8:40 to join the crowds in the street and were able to get to Toy Story Mania with the rope drop crowd, which they released around 8:55. The line for Jedi sign-ups was extremely long when we left the restaurant.

I would keep the reservation. If you're going to have to get there super early to get a spot, you might as well have breakfast. My kids aren't big Disney Jr. fans, but we all enjoyed the breakfast.

We were there on Monday, February 27th and the park was BUSY. They seemed to open gates around 8:30 - I was in the bag check line, we waited in the line a bit to enter, and I walked fast to the left side of the park. Rope was still up to go toward TSM. I was not 100% certain where to go for the line so I walked a little bit, totally confused by the Indiana Jones set up (line starts to the direct right of the Indiana green tent and there is a small sidewalk sign). A nice dad directed me, and I headed in line, only then to discover the kids had to be with me. My text to my husband telling him to bring me the kids was sent at 8:52. They started to count the number of kids in line before my kids were there and I told them I had 2 kids....not a problem. My kids joined me in line before 9. By the time I got to the counter, the first show I could for my two kids was about 2:30. (Single child sign ups were available for about 12:30 or so. We picked the 3:10 show and had to be back by 2:40. Having said that, they had lots more availability to sign kids up after us. The line was pretty efficient and went quickly.

I have to say, this experience was worth it...for my 5 year old son who LOVED it, for my daughter (7) who admittingly was luke warm on the idea, and for us as parents. I admit I'm not into Star Wars, my husband has seen them but certainly isn't a huge fan but we thought it was awesome! My daughter knows that characters are dressed up people but she was intimidated by the thought of fighting Darth Vader. She wanted Seventh Sister. Both my kids got Darth. Based on something I read here, I thought it was based on height. It is not. My kids are both short. It's what side you sit on during check in, and to some extent how early you check in for your assigned time. They do line the kids up based on height, to get fitted with robes and to do the walk to the stage, but they are kept in the lines they chose.

DD works this attraction...she has told me that they seldom have an show spots left after 10am! And she also said that it was amazing how many parents don't realize they have to have the kids with them in order to sign them up.
I would get there as early as you can...get the little padewans signed up, then go about your day! Much better than stressing about it!
And no, they don't seem to be handing out FPs anymore...dd isn't sure why, they just aren't!

If we have an 8:15am H&V reservation on an 8am open day, will be able to get in before 8am? We are staying onsite so hopefully this gives us some advantage in addition to getting there earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter