• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jedi Training Academy "Re-imagined"

loutoo

Mouseketeer
Tucked away in the D23 announcement of the forthcoming Star Wars Lands, was the statement that the Jedi Training Academy will be re-imagined. I think everyone assumed that JTA would be a part of any new star wars expansion or land. Clearly, with its popularity, a new permanent indoor venue is no doubt in order to both eliminate weather related issues as well as expand capacity. I anticipate that what we will actually get is going to be far beyond just a new space however.

I hope (and truly believe) that the model for the new experience will be similar to Enchanted Tales with Belle. Gone will be the days of rushing at rope drop to sign up for one of the few coveted spots in JTA. Instead JTA will be a new, ongoing attraction, with an expansive themed queue, multiple pre-show and show rooms and the option for FP+ reservations.

This is what I envision. The queue takes visitors through a "regional" Jedi temple / Training and recruitment center located on the new Outer Rim world where Star Wars Land is located. There guests would encounter interactive experiences with holocrons containg information on the history of the galaxy and the Jedi Order. At the end of the queue, guests in groups of about 30-40 would be ushered by a Jedi Knight into one of several recruitment rooms. This would be a pre-show area. Here the Jedi Knight would explain that the Order is in desperate need of new members and would recruit any children (and perhaps adults) to join the Order as Padawans. The new recruits would be outfitted with Jedi Robes, traditional padawan braids, and training Light Sabers. They wouuld then be given basic instructions on what might be expected of them as they go forward with their training.

After the pre-show guests would be taken to one of several training (show) rooms. Here non-padawans would be offered seats to observe While a Jedi Master would emerge to begin the training. There would be a brief explanation of Jedi principles mixed with basic light saber training. Perhaps this instruction is aided by holographic projections of past masters such as Yoda, Mace Windu, and Qui Gon Jinn, or perhaps it takes them through a famous duel. As the training commences, the facility comes under attack and the new Jedi's are instructed by the Jedi Master on how to repel the threat. Having successfully rebuked the attack, the padawans would be awarded the rank of Jedi Knight, their braids are "cut off," and they are sent on their way with a nice little souvenir and Photpasss card containing pictures documenting the training.

This experience, of course, would exit to the "Jedi Supply Room" (gift shop) where the young Jedis could construct their own light sabers, obtain new robes, blasters, belts, and any other supplies they may need for future missions. Located inside or adjacent this supply room would be an area where young Jedi could complete their journey to either the light side or the dark side through makeup, costuming and styling in a experience similar to the pirate league and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

Thanks for indulging both my armchair imagineering as well as my geekiness. Discuss among yourselves.

Last edited:
Only thing I would add to your armchair imaginering is that the bad guy the kids face would be random. It could be Darth Vader, Darth Maul, an Inquisitor from Rebels, or Kylo Renn from the new movie.

YES YES YES!

On my visit to the MK in May we went through the Enchanted Tales with Belle. My 2 year old daughter LOVED it! Using this idea would definitely work for the JTA and would be a smash hit. Little kids to adults would enjoy it! Great idea!

Only thing I would add to your armchair imaginering is that the bad guy the kids face would be random. It could be Darth Vader, Darth Maul, an Inquisitor from Rebels, or Kylo Renn from the new movie.
Yes a variety of bad guys would be nice allowing them to pay homage to old characters while promoting new ones. Plus it would keep the experience fresh

I read somewhere a year ago that the new JTA would be an indoor and better experience. I'm sure they are considering something very much like your idea.

And speaking of Enchanted Tales With Belle, it's one of my favorite attractions at the MK now, and has been a big hit. I'm sure they'll be looking to build on that success.

Great ideas! We have yet to do JTA with our youngest. I got to do it this time. She wants to so bad. :)

As long as they keep the old JTA academy open until they make the new one, I'll be happy.

I wish that they would have an adult version if they include Darth Maul. I would also like to see a female Jedi.

I wish that they would have an adult version if they include Darth Maul. I would also like to see a female Jedi.

They had female Jedis this last week with the Padawans. I'm glad they took out the line they originally had for Jedi Training which was something like "ooooh a GIRL Jedi." I found that to be a little offensive.

I have a daughter who has done JTA 5 times. She always gets "OOOOHHH, a female Jedi"'d. It is annoying.

We've seen female Jedi masters and female villains. I've never seen a male Padawan, though. Hmmmm.

aren't they just commenting on the 'female jedi' because girls are a somewhat rarity as far as participants go?

I have no problem with the ooohh a female Jedi. It is a fact and if you don't get it you are looking for something to whine about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter