January No Buy: Let's Start the Year Right!

3goofyboys

Me and my 3 goofy boys
I didn't see a January No Buy, so I thought I'd start one.

No Buy is whatever you need it to be. You can post as much or as little about your spending as you'd like. You set the goals, the thread just helps you keep them!

Good luck to everyone this month. I hope we can all start 2011 on the right financial foot :cheer2::cheer2:!

My goal for January is 15 no buy days.
Christmas is done, my DS's birthday is done. We have a few birthday parties to go to, but other than that, we don't have any big expenses coming up in January. I'm ready to get back on track after all the crazy holiday spending!

So basically the no buy thing is you just decide how many days you won't spend any money at all and then keep track of it? I've always been confused by the no buy threads :)

So basically the no buy thing is you just decide how many days you won't spend any money at all and then keep track of it? I've always been confused by the no buy threads :)

That's the basic idea. Everyone sets different rules for themselves. Some people don't count things they need (like gas and groceries), some people don't count set bills (like heat and water), ect. We each do what works for us.

Count me in! I need to learn to stick to a budget and this sounds like a great way to start.

Well, I am in. Not sure what exactly my plans are. My goal 365 days ago today was to do this for a year. Never thought I'd make it, sure as heck didn't think I'd write down every penny I spent for a year, but I did and while I thought this would only be a one year thing to teach myself, it not only did that but I also like so many people here so much that I don't want to leave. So I am in, will give some thought to how I want the next year to go, but will for sure be back just cause I like you all so much!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Joined No Buy as a New Years Resolution in 2010 and did pretty well-
January-14 Days
February-13 Days
March-17 Days
April-15 Days
May-15 Days
June-8 Days
July- 6 Days (only in town and only recorded half the month, probably had about 7-8 no buys while away)
August-15 Days
September-15 Days
October-13 Days
November-6 Days (only kept track till November 16th cause we were in Disney the rest of the month)
December-10
Longest Streak-4 Days in a Row
Back in 2011 cause I'd miss you all so much!
:hug:

Count me in too...Hubby and I have decided to make (and stick to) a budget this year so that we can put more money into our emergency fund and save for a Disney trip in early December. Right now our goal is to avoid any 'not-in-the-budget' purchases.

This is my first no-buy challenge and I'm very excited about it! :banana::banana::banana:

The January budget is $1200 with 12 no spend days.

Auto $70
Eating Out/Entertainment $50
Giving $10
Groceries/Household Goods $200
Medical $100
Misc. $50
Set bills $420

No spend days goal of 12

Coupon savings $
Semi-Annual Neurology eval in Chicago budget is $300

--------------------------------------------------------
I am in again also. This month I have a dental cleaning and my Mom's birthday so some extra expenses. Then I have to travel to Chicago for my neurology follow-up so I am budgeting that separately.

For the newer folks, I do keep track of my utilities etc but grouped into a single category of set bills.

Thanks for starting a new thread.

I'm in for January. I have been doing the No Buy thing since September of 2009 and it has helped me out so much. January is going to be tight with property taxes and a few family birthdays but we can do it.

Groceries/household- $300
Car/gas- $50
Eating out- $50
Entertainment/Misc- $100

Goal of 15 No Buy days

This is the first time I've joined in. I'm developing a budget for this year, I'm determined to increase retirement savings and get those 529s going finally!

I just cleaned out my freezers, and I'm hoping my shame of all the stuff I threw out will last me a few months. I think I have enough meat to last an entire month, maybe more, so I'm going to reduce my food budget this month to $200 for our family of 5... that should give me enough for milk and fresh produce and still be able to take advantage of any meat that comes on sale. As for the other variable expenditures, I want to limit my shopping to one day a week and stay under budget on all categories! Then I'm going to commit to moving all of that savings to my emergency fund.

Allright! Im IN!!!! DH and I know we need to start saving more! We are going for:

Budget:
$250/week to start and we will see if we can decrease that as we learn to actually track our spending. We also are thinking we get a $25/month allowance for things like his World of Warcraft game and for me it will go towards the things I make/buy for the Big Give we do for the Make A Wish Families here on the DIS!! Got a weekly planner for a quarter at Target today to record our data!!! Keeping my fingers crossed..if I go into this looking at it as a challenge, it will make it more fun!!!

Good Luck to everyone!!!!! I cant wait to meet you all, sounds like a fun group!!:goodvibes

I am definitely in. My goal is to not buy anything outside my standard bills. My biggest problem is eating out. I did plan out my meals for the next two weeks. I plan to only eat the groceries in the house. No stopping at Wawa for snacks or drinks. No drive thrus on the way home. No ordering lunch while at work. I need to pack and stay with that. My goal is the whole month but realistic I will aim for one week at a time.

Thanks for getting us started, 3goofyboys!

My goal is going to be 10 no buy days this month and no more than 5 meals out. I ought to have a better budget, but I'm just not up for putting it together right now.

no buy days: 0/10
meals out: 0/5
longest no buy streak: 3!

I'm in this month! I want (need) to have 23 no-spend days this month. That allows one day a week for grocery shopping/gas and Taco Tuesday at Del Tacos (it costs $4 to get dinner for my family of 3 that night).

No buy days: 19/23

Jan. 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

I fell short by 4 days, but since I made it to the end of the month with money in the checking account, I'm happy with my results! It was a looong month...6.5 weeks between paychecks!!! Getting an extra 2 weeks out of my paycheck and still having cash available was a very good thing!

I am aiming for 15 no buy days. I am going to WDW, so that will complicate things. But--room is paid, tickets are paid and money for meals is in the folder to take. I don't do souvineers, so no worry there.

Woo hoo:cool1:, I love fresh starts, and a new year is a big one! Hello No Buy friends, and welcome to the new ones:). Think I will shoot for another 10 no buy days, both dd4 and dh have January birthdays, and we leave for our trip the 1st week of Feb, so I may need to buy a few things for that. Good luck everyone!

Count me in too :) My goal is only eating out once per week and no extra spending at the grocery store, clipping as many coupons as I can, buying based on sales/needs only, and I will shoot for 10 no buy days..this is new to me so I want to do the best I can :)

Hello everybody. I pop in here, than I pop out, than I pop in. :rotfl:

It has been an up and down year for us. We bought a new car....paid in full....that was exciting. We built a large 1 1/2 story wood barn to add to our farm....that is not as of yet paid for in full. :lmao: We have accelerated our mortgage payments and both Dh and I maxed out our 401ks. I had pneumonia for all of October and November and realize the value of our health insurance. :thumbsup2 Good things....not so good things.....but everything has a positive spin. Although we added debt with the barn we have increased the value of our property and enabled our family to do more things we enjoy. We have $0.00 in credit card debt and added this barn debt with a LOT of careful consideration.

All in all we feel very blessed and grateful that we have well paying jobs, a cozy home to live and a healthy happy family.

I am on board with January 2011 No Buy. We have a lot of things we want to do this year and if we are going to accomplish those things I need to cut out any excess spending. My extra dollars this year are going towards increasing the size and scope of our "hobby farm" so that eventually I am able to do this for a living. That is an exciting goal for me.

Best wishes to everybody in the New Year and may everyone achieve their goals.

My goal for January is $400. in groceries.
No clothing purchases except, need one outfit for DS for a christening we are attending. (Khaki pants, brown shoes should suffice)
Gas $100.00
My Allowance $100. for all extras. ( I use this for all "Mom I need $$$$ emergencies" My grandfather calls it walking around money)
No eating out this month unless it is utilizing a gift card we received as gifts.

"Here we go......"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter