Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We saw a man whittling wood when we were walking around Jambo in November. My granddaughter didn’t have the patience to stand around, but there was another family chatting with him.

We saw a man whittling wood when we were walking around Jambo in November. My granddaughter didn’t have the patience to stand around, but there was another family chatting with him.
That’s cool. I think the kids would enjoy that.

Does anyone know-is there no story time by the fire currently?

Hi. My family is planning a trip next February. I want to make a decision before the 11 month booking window if I rent points.

We will stay at Shades of Green for the main trip. We want to move to Animal Kingdom Lodge for 3 nights at the end. We’d hit up AK park after checking out of SoG and then the next two days are just at the resort.

2 adults and 3 kids ages 6, 12, and 14. The 6 year old’s favorite animal is the giraffe. We would get savanna view. I read somewhere that all Jambo House Savanna views have giraffes. Is that correct? I know 80% at Kidani do but I do think we’d be disappointed if there are no giraffes after spending that kind of money for a resort only stay.

We are switching to AKL at the end for the animal time and for the cultural aspect. Our kids are half black and want to learn about Africa. They know which specific countries their ancestors were from and would enjoy talking to CMs and checking out the African art collection and artifacts throughout the resort. Some day, maybe we can go to Africa, and I get that AKL isn’t a substitute for that, but hopefully the intent makes sense.

Thoughts? Any ideas of things not to miss at the resort? Will probably try the starlight safari for the older two.
Hi - I just wanted to say that staying at AKL is a wonderful idea. I have been to many African countries (South Africa, Ghana, Togo, Uganda, Kenya, Gabon, Tanzania) and AKL captures the many different aspects of the African continent very well. From the overall design of the hotel to the artwork around the hotel - and even some of the food items - everything is executed with so much cultural sensitivity. I love exploring the cultural artefacts at AKL and Kidani, and learn from which countries they come from. Plus the hotel and the pool are just beautiful ;) I am sure your family will love staying there.

Hi - I just wanted to say that staying at AKL is a wonderful idea. I have been to many African countries (South Africa, Ghana, Togo, Uganda, Kenya, Gabon, Tanzania) and AKL captures the many different aspects of the African continent very well. From the overall design of the hotel to the artwork around the hotel - and even some of the food items - everything is executed with so much cultural sensitivity. I love exploring the cultural artefacts at AKL and Kidani, and learn from which countries they come from. Plus the hotel and the pool are just beautiful ;) I am sure your family will love staying there.
Thank you so much :)

I am going to be at jambo in two weeks and think my kids would love to see the whittling. I checked the resort activity calendar but didn’t see anything that stood out as this. Have they gotten rid of the whittling or is this just a non announced thing you have to stumble across? If so anyone have ideas of other activities not advertised in monthly calendar we should consider?

Are there kids club areas open during the day? I read about Simba's Clubhouse, but that seems to be a babysitting service in the evenings.

I am going to be at jambo in two weeks and think my kids would love to see the whittling. I checked the resort activity calendar but didn’t see anything that stood out as this. Have they gotten rid of the whittling or is this just a non announced thing you have to stumble across? If so anyone have ideas of other activities not advertised in monthly calendar we should consider?
I think this is just a demonstration that you stumble across. I would ask at the check in area if you don’t see him.

Does anyone have this months AKL activity sheet? I can't find it on google. We are going next Wednesday (March 22nd) WOO HOO!

Has anyone ever done a split stay at AKL - like stay in a standard room for the first part of the trip, then move to a Club Level Savanna room for the second half?

When we were there for a week in June, he was right outside the main gift shop in the lobby every evening- usually around 4:00 pm. We would see him as we were leaving to return to the parks or go to dinner. I don't recall seeing him when we returned, so I don't know what time he left. There was also a selection of his whittled animal figures for sale inside the gift shop.

ETA: I just saw a post on Facebook from the Cast Life group that they are currently welcoming back the Cultural Reps, so it seems they will be back in place at AKL very soon.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you can often catch the carvers in the Africa section of EPCOT as well. They are very kind and, in my experience, happy to chat.

I know how quickly things change, but I'm trying to get a handle on transport from AKL to MCO. Do I book a Lyft - Minnie Van? Or is there a less expensive option? We need to leave around 8am for an 11am international flight. Or is that too late and we should leave at 7:30?

Also, I've booked a car through Alamo at the Car Care Center. Do they pick up for Alamo, or do I need to try to get my way there from AKL?

Has anyone ever done a split stay at AKL - like stay in a standard room for the first part of the trip, then move to a Club Level Savanna room for the second half?
Yes. My check in day was in a standard room prior to moving to CL, since we arrived late. Do you have questions about it?

Yes. My check in day was in a standard room prior to moving to CL, since we arrived late. Do you have questions about it?
Thanks for responding. I understand that with the CL room you get access to the concierge lounge. Are there any other differences between the standard and CL rooms?

Thanks for responding. I understand that with the CL room you get access to the concierge lounge. Are there any other differences between the standard and CL rooms?
Other than maybe a few extra toiletries and better views, they’re pretty much the same room. The additional benefit is you will have all day access to a lounge that provides beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), food and snacks throughout the day. They also provide concierge services if needed. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter